N.W.A. inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

markbosko

Core members included Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, M.C. Ren, and D.J. Bella, all big time rock and rollers.

The other inductees include Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, Chicago, and Steve Miller.

I think they might need a rap and hip hop hall of fame.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Core members included Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, M.C. Ren, and D.J. Bella, all big time rock and rollers.

The other inductees include Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, Chicago, and Steve Miller.

I think they might need a rap and hip hop hall of fame.
I think "they" have an organization inducting hip hop artists, as well.

mikebat

My 2 cents.... a Hall of Fame is the least "rock'n'roll" thing you could come up with.

You spend your life fighting the man....then you start a Hall of Fame and emulate, or become the man.

To be honest, I don't even like the concept for sports.

27sauce

Johnny Cash is in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and he isn't a rock'n'roll artist, either.......they should just rename it "The American Popular Music Hall of Fame" and be done with it.
**** yeah johnny Cash is a rock n roll artist. He was on Sun Records, for crying out loud. He's every bit as rock as elvis, the Everlys, Jerry Lee...it's not like he had steel, fiddle, banjo, mando..in his music. Or a cowboy hat.

A-Bone

they should just rename it "The American Popular Music Hall of Fame" and be done with it.
Or maybe people could learn to embrace the big tent version of "rock and roll" and how rhizomatic the various connections are, rather than bemoaning by some peculiar and narrow idea of genre who should and should not be included. For one thing, if one wants to be pedantic about what is and is not rock and roll, then the vast majority of inducted acts arguably have no place in the institution; after all, rock music is not the same as "rock and roll," with the latter being more often considered a time specific period in 20th Century popular music. For another, since it is Wenner's institution, his rules are what really count, and the committee's arguments for inducted acts make at least as much sense as the others I've heard.

2HBStrat

Eventually Taylor Swift will be in the RRHOF.
Yes, she will, and (wait for it) so will Justin Bieber......

**** yeah johnny Cash is a rock n roll artist. He was on Sun Records, for crying out loud. He's every bit as rock as elvis, the Everlys, Jerry Lee...it's not like he had steel, fiddle, banjo, mando..in his music. Or a cowboy hat.
We've discussed this before, and we didn't find agreement then, and we won't find it now. Just because JC was on Sun Records doesn't make him a R'N'R artist......one listen to his music should make that clear.....he has a rockabilly background and SOME influence but his music was straight ahead country, AND THAT'S OKAY! Isn't Hank Williams in the R'N'R Hall of Fame, too?

A-Bone

Yes, she will, and (wait for it) so will Justin Bieber......
Maybe, although it isn't as if every act that has been successful in popular music has been inducted to date.

We've discussed this before, and we didn't find agreement then, and we won't find it now. Just because JC was on Sun Records doesn't make him a R'N'R artist......one listen to his music should make that clear.....he has a rockabilly background and SOME influence but his music was straight ahead country, AND THAT'S OKAY! Isn't Hank Williams in the R'N'R Hall of Fame, too?
Hank Williams is in as an early influence, which is really difficult for anyone to criticize, what with his being hugely influential to all sorts of subsequent artists.

MDMachiavelli

Johnny Cash is in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and he isn't a rock'n'roll artist, either.......they should just rename it "The American Popular Music Hall of Fame" and be done with it.
I see the point you are trying to make, and I sympathize with it. But... Johnny Cash wasn't a very good example to use.

2HBStrat

Or maybe people could learn to embrace the big tent version of "rock and roll" and how rhizomatic the various connections are........
I'm okay with the "Big Tent" idea if everyone else is......just don't bitch 30 years from now when Skrillex is inducted.....

Trending Topics