n00b electronics question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adrianb, May 3, 2016.

1. adrianb

adrianb Member

When pedal manufacturers state a pedal's power consumption in mA, for example 42 mA, does this mean the pedal draws 42 mA with all its controls at max? If level, gain, or any of its other controls were set lower would the consumption be less than 42 mA?

2. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

The power draw listed for a pedal is always its maximum possible draw, and in some cases is wildly overestimated just to be on the safe side (I have seen a few where the manufacturer's manual states something like 300mA but online forums confirm it to be more like 200mA in regular use). I think it's a "better safe than sorry" type of thing - they round up to the highest draw that pedal might possibly need.

As far as how certain knobs specifically affect the power draw (like, setting gain lower or something), I'm not sure. But you're correct that there's a range for each pedal and the number stated in the manual is going to be the top of that range.

ERGExplorer likes this.