1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

n00b questions about a tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Facemelt, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Facemelt

Facemelt Member

Somewhere south of hell & north of Mexico
    OK, I have been playing guitar for about a year. I recently started playing with an amp more often and have picked up a couple. I have some questions for the very knowledgeable and nice folks on this board.

The amps I have are a Vox AD50vt 212 and a Fender 75

The one that concerns me the most is the 75.
    Is there any danger for my kids messing with them? I have several small ones that may be inclined to do investigative things to it. You know, like sticking their hand in the back or maybe sticking an object in the back....
    I watch my kids well but the amps are accessible and kids are kids ya know.

Now, my next question is about the amp's sound. I leave the lead channel off via the footswitch because I have read up on it and I agree that it sounds rough (even to my undeveloped ear). The thing is that when I turn the amp up loud the speaker kind of sounds like it is "farting"? Not sure how to describe it but it sound kinda like it isn't handling the sound well or something. The speaker is non original and is a celestion G12K-85. Is the speaker blown maybe? Or is this just something to do with the speaker not handling what it gets? How would I know?

I'm sure I will have more questions but I don't want to get the subject too confusing.

As a disclaimer/reminder, I know very little about amps and these are my first two tube amps purchased at almost the same time.

Thanks very much!
    Chris

2. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

>> when I turn the amp up loud the speaker kind of sounds like it is "farting"

This is a very common issue with Fender amps. Most turn the bass down to 2, which at first seems really low, but that's what they want.

As for the kids, it's hard to tell what they might do with a peanut butter sandwich, or with vegetables (that they usually don't want to eat). They do sell amp covers that might offer protection.

3. Facemelt

Facemelt Member

OK, so turn the bass down. I'll try that tomorrow. What I am saying with the kids is - are they gonna get fried or am I being paranoid?

Thanks

4. uberpict

uberpict Member

Make sure it's grounded with a three prong plug into a grounded socket. No adapters or two prong plugs, an amp tech can fix this pretty easily if not. As long as they're not mucking around inside the chassis or grabbing the speaker leads when it's on they should be okay. Better to be paranoid when kids are concerned, however; it's just not common these days for people to get shocked by an amp unless they're inside it.

5. Facemelt

Facemelt Member

OK, thanks for the input. I watch my kids and they know not to be messing with the amps but I don't want to have a serious danger lurking either. The amp has a grounded plug already so all is good there.