NAD! 1965 Fender Pro Reverb

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
2016-12-12%2008.43.27_zpsylvaoibr.jpg

I actually picked this one up a couple weeks ago with the intent to flip, but I did some recording over the weekend with it and loved it - killer amp!

Here's the song I did, it has my SG straight into this amp

A friend of a friend found this for $50 at a flea market(covered in dust and dirt - I deep cleaned it big time), and brought it to me to get working. I finished up the electrolytics, but one of the output tubes was bad and in talking about replacements he asked if I just wanted to buy it from him - I got a sweet deal on it too - about half price

It's all stock and in great shape, and it sucks that the tube was bad it was a 70's 6l6STR.

Last edited:

satisphied

2016-12-12%2008.43.27_zpsylvaoibr.jpg

I actually picked this one up a couple weeks ago with the intent to flip, but I did some recording over the weekend with it and loved it - killer amp!

Here's the song I did, it has my SG straight into this amp

A friend of a friend found this for $50 at a flea market(covered in dust and dirt - I deep cleaned it big time), and brought it to me to get working. I finished up the electrolytics, but one of the output tubes was bad and in talking about replacements he asked if I just wanted to buy it from him - I got a sweet deal on it too

It's all stock and in great shape, and it sucks that the tube was bad it was a 70's 6l6STR.

Song sounds awesome! Did you use real drums?

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
Song sounds awesome! Did you use real drums?

Thanks! Yup, I wrote and played everything - it's all real except for the Mellotron, those are samples.

The drums are '61 ludwigs with 60's zildjian cymbals and a 70's acrolite snare, bass is a Rickenbacker 4003 into a 1073, I have a wurlitzer 206a, and then the guitar is all my SG standard and the pro reverb.

Recording this was really the first time I used this amp with my "Guitar player" hat on, rather than my tech hat, and I have to say I think the tone and response really inspired my playing. it was doing EXACTLY what I was hearing in my head (basically wanted Abbey Road era Beatles tone)

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
Great sounding amp, and cool song. Congrats

What are the amp settings?

Bright switch off, volume on 7, treble on 9, bass on 2, reverb on 3

SG was probably in the middle setting with the neck volume on 2 or 3 and the bridge on 7 or 8. I move around on guitar settings all the time, but it's probably something like that. I think when the solo starts off that sounds more like the bridge pickup alone

Beyerdynamic M69 microphone, my secret weapon guitar mic. SHHHHHHHH!

This was all done mostly Sunday night/evening, so since then I've done a little tweaking - I cut out some of the solo behind the vocals because they were clashing, and some other things. I'm going to play around with adding some Hammond organ, and doubling up the "chorus" guitar part, maybe with a leslie...

M

member 124523

Yeah it sounds really nice. I can get a similar sound with my 66 princeton reverb and humbuckers. But probably not at the same volume. That is one hell of a gigging amp.

Rumble5

Sweet amp, nice deal, great tune. Sounds in the Wilco camp to me, and of course I can hear the Beatles influence in there heavily.

My main amp is a '66 Pro Reverb. I use almost the exact same settings you do (w/ a LP w/ P90s), though I have the volume at about 8.5. Mine breaks up more at those volumes than what I hear in the clip which probably has to do with the Greenback style speakers I have in it and a swap of rectifier tubes.

The Pro is just one of the best amps out there for a thick, natural sounding old school gritty tone that works so well for roots rock and Americana.

Last edited:

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
Volume on 7??!! Where do you live? The moon?
My typical bass rig is an Ampeg V4 with a 2x15!

The pro isn't crazy loud, my traynor amps make it sound quiet! I do typically keep to smaller amps when recording, but this one had the tone I wanted.

You gotta crank 'em to get the sound!

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Cool amp. Enjoyed your song too.

I was getting a modern Band/Robbie Robertson vibe until the guitar kicked. Very Beatle!

Thanks for sharing.

woof*

Volume on 7??!! Where do you live? The moon?
Its only 40 watts and a pair of 12's...geeez.

Pro Reverbs beside Supers.. are my favorite amp.
The 12's in my 66' were worn and sounded mush to me. I had a fresh 15"EVM laying around and got a baffle from Larry Rogers(Rip) Sounds killer with that speaker....perfect!
Congrats on that fine amp!

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
I like your timing, especially on the intro guitar. And congrats on the amp!
I had no idea what you were talking about, so I listened back looking for timing-I didn't realize those little hits on the guitar are on offbeats!

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
Cool amp. Enjoyed your song too.

I was getting a modern Band/Robbie Robertson vibe until the guitar kicked. Very Beatle!

Thanks for sharing.

I love the Band! I should add some vocal harmony parts...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom