• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NAD: 1968 Drip Edge Fender Princeton Reverb

SFT

After months of patience, I finally found the one I've been waiting for. This thing has been meticulously cared for and the guts are all original and museum quality clean. Reputable amp tech looked it over last night and said the circuit and reverb is all original/period accurate. Dead quiet too. Only replacement is the 12" Celestion Alnico Blue. This thing SCREAMS! Honestly I've never heard a strat sound so good (and I'm not much of a strat guy). It eats every pedal I throw at it. This came from a local guys private collection, who kept it in amazing shape.

Heaven.
View media item 1491View media item 1495View media item 1490View media item 1496View media item 1498View media item 1492View media item 1499View media item 1500View media item 1497View media item 1494View media item 1493

mxvin

sweet. Super Clean. Enjoy it!!!
I have a 68 Black Line drip edge that was in "grandma's basement". Has the stock 10 but it was upgraded to the next wattage higher up. Like from a Vibrolux I guess and it seems orig and the dates match but it could have been done back in the day I guess. I also added a bias adjust pot (without drilling) and had to replace the cap can. I gutted the old can and put the new cap can inside it to keep it looking orig. Came with all Telefunken pre amp tubes and RCA power tubes. Think the Recto tube is GE. I dont remember. Another cool detail is it has the tailess logo which is smaller than the tailed one and used for a short period of time during late 67 and early 68 from what I have read.

Reactions: SFT

SFT

Nice! This doesn't look like it was ever gigged, and if it was, only a handful of times. I wasn't sure I was going to like the Celestion Blue in it (not a speaker I would normally pair with an old Fender), but boy was I pleasantly surprised! I was also a bit weary of the 12" speaker upgrade, but this amp plays like it was meant for a 12" speaker. Just as loud as my Deluxe Reverb, but much easier to "grab and go."

Now I just need another one LOL. :)

SFT

Nice!

I wonder what that blue sounds like in there. Interesting combination.
It sounds killer, though it's the only speaker I've heard since this is my first princeton. I do have an old Jensen C12N (I think that's the model that's in there) in my '65 Deluxe Reverb I could pull out for comparison I suppose.

TJNies

Wow, that thing is so clean that I thought you had one of the new-production 68 Custom PRs!;)

Hopefully you are replacing that 2 prong plug?

Last edited:

zenas

Looks like my 1964 PR inside when I got it. Think when I pulled the chassis to look at it before I handed over the 900 bucks (I'd buy um all day for that) it was the first time it'd been out.
The funny thing was the guy got a new amp because the PR wasn't big enough to gig with. With fresh electrolytics it is now!
I also did the grounded cord and no drill bias pot. Hated to get in there at all but only an idiot runs 50 year old electrolytics with that little power transformer.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds killer, though it's the only speaker I've heard since this is my first princeton. I do have an old Jensen C12N (I think that's the model that's in there) in my '65 Deluxe Reverb I could pull out for comparison I suppose.

You don't need to pull the speaker out of the DR. Just pull the speaker cable and plug in the Princeton. ;)

Cool amp. My favourite look for the Princeton Reverb. Congrats! I'm jealous.

SFT

Wow, that thing is so clean that I thought you were had one of the new-production 68 Custom PRs!;)

Hopefully you are replacing that 2 prong plug?
I was on the fence about replacing the plug. Some guys say do it for sure, while others say it's fine as long as you're plugging into a grounded outlet. As long as it's plugged into a grounded power strip, it should be okay, right?

SFT

Looks like my 1964 PR inside when I got it. Think when I pulled the chassis to look at it before I handed over the 900 bucks (I'd buy um all day for that) it was the first time it'd been out.
The funny thing was the guy got a new amp because the PR wasn't big enough to gig with. With fresh electrolytics it is now!
I also did the grounded cord and no drill bias pot. Hated to get in there at all but only an idiot runs 50 year old electrolytics with that little power transformer.
Interesting...so what does the no drill bias pot do and is that something I should put in? So you think I should change the electrolytics? The amp is dead quiet right now. Just hesitant to replace things before they need replacing.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Interesting...so what does the no drill bias pot do and is that something I should put in? So you think I should change the electrolytics? The amp is dead quiet right now. Just hesitant to replace things before they need replacing.

Interested as well. Just picked up what looks to be an all original, down to the tubes, 69 Bassman. Not as clean as this beauty, but still...
Sounds great, firing on all cylinders, but I know I need to change the caps, bias circuit and go to a 3-prong plug.

The thing with a beautiful closet queen like you have there SFT, it probably didn't get much play time. The caps are probably dried up. So it might sound great now, but after some use, it'll probably start hissing n popping and doing all kinds of weird things, until one of the filter caps blow and take a tranny with it. At least, that's what I've read. Never happened to me. I did have to replace the filter caps in my 67 Fender Dual Showman that was my grandfather's before me, due to noises and cutting out. Fixed it right up.

SFT

You cut up the original baffle to put in a 12" speaker and now you are worried about the chord?
I didn't cut anything, it was like that when I bought it. I'm not "worried" about anything, I'm simply asking if it's something that should be done or not. Not eager to pay for bench time if I don't have to.

DakotaRed

I didn't cut anything, it was like that when I bought it. I'm not "worried" about anything, I'm simply asking if it's something that should be done or not. Not eager to pay for bench time if I don't have to.
Ohhhh... sorry, I misunderstood. :facepalm

I've got a vintage 68 PR with a G-10 Celestion. I like the G-10 much better than the Oxford it came with. Celestions seem to work really well with PRs.

Congrats, these are great amps!

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely would replace the original power cord with a 3 prong one for safety. But if you're just using it at home I wouldn't worry about it. You can always put it back stock if someone ever wants it that way.

TJNies

I would replace the plug (and take out the death cap as well).

As far as the caps, it's possible they are ok. I bought a 69 blackline PR in much the same condition as yours, took it to the tech, and he said it wasn't needed yet. Evidently the cap can in PRs doesn't fail too often. But the others might use some freshening up.

SFT

I would replace the plug (and take out the death cap as well).

As far as the caps, it's possible they are ok. I bought a 69 blackline PR in much the same condition as yours, took it to the tech, and he said it wasn't needed yet. Evidently the cap can in PRs doesn't fail too often. But the others might use some freshening up.
What is the "death cap?" So if/when a cap fails it could take out the transformer?:confused
First time owning a PR, so I don't know all the ins and outs. :dunno

SFT

Ohhhh... sorry, I misunderstood. :facepalm

I've got a vintage 68 PR with a G-10 Celestion. I like the G-10 much better than the Oxford it came with. Celestions seem to work really well with PRs.

Congrats, these are great amps!
No worries! :)

TJNies

What is the "death cap?" So if/when a cap fails it could take out the transformer?:confused
First time owning a PR, so I don't know all the ins and outs. :dunno
The death cap is there to reduce the chance of shock when improperly grounded. But it can fail, and put you in danger of lethal currents. If you get the grounded cord, the cap is no longer needed, and better to have it removed altogether (you can have it returned along with the 2-prong cord for collectors).

If you intend to play this amp, and not just keep as a museum piece, get these things done. It doesn't reduce the value as long as you maintain the replaced components.

Another idea: get a Timmy pedal if you want to get it into OD territory. The bass and treble controls really help reduce the flub. And sounds pretty good too! I personally don't like the natural OD of the PR circuit, but the only real way to correct that is a transformer upgrade. So the Timmy is a great compromise.

Trending Topics