NAD: 3 watt Carr

WolfmansBrother

Silver Supporting Member
Carr Raleigh. Nice clean side typical of Carrs, and a really fun dirt channel. The master volume works well. It would be nice if the master switch was also foot-switchable, but no big deal. That's pretty much my only criticism.

I have two Vibro Champs, one with a 8" speaker and one with a 10" speaker, and I had them out with the Raleigh today. The Raleigh holds up well with the Champs. Overall the Champs are a bit softer feeling, while the Raleigh has that typical Carr firmness, where the amp stays authoritative all up the volume knob.

The Champs need to be cranked up to get much dirt, and at that point they are really loud. The Raleigh has more dirt available, and the gain and volume can be dialed in really well.

It's a sweet amp. Liking it so far.

20220422_183030.jpg

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats!! I've never had a chance to play that one, but am sure it sounds great! How would you characterize the dirt tones? British?

WolfmansBrother

Silver Supporting Member
I was jamming out in the garage late last night, primarily on the dirt channel, using a little Bose bluetooth radio for backing tracks, and this amp can rip. It was a blast.

This morning I have been playing on the clean side with the volume around 10 o'clock, and the clean is awesome. It has a firmness and authority to it even on low volumes. I remember seeing a video on the Raleigh where Steve Carr talks about how with Class A amps the notes can feel like they are jumping out of the amp, and that is definitely a great way to describe it.

I'm going to a jam tomorrow and I am going to bring the Raleigh. It's usually pretty low volume, so the Raleigh should be fine. Plus I have a larger amp that I leave over there and usually play through (Viceroy), should I want more headroom.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I was jamming out in the garage late last night, primarily on the dirt channel, using a little Bose bluetooth radio for backing tracks, and this amp can rip. It was a blast.

This morning I have been playing on the clean side with the volume around 10 o'clock, and the clean is awesome. It has a firmness and authority to it even on low volumes. I remember seeing a video on the Raleigh where Steve Carr talks about how with Class A amps the notes can feel like they are jumping out of the amp, and that is definitely a great way to describe it.

I'm going to a jam tomorrow and I am going to bring the Raleigh. It's usually pretty low volume, so the Raleigh should be fine. Plus I have a larger amp that I leave over there and usually play through (Viceroy), should I want more headroom.
Quit tempting me!!! ;)

WolfmansBrother

Silver Supporting Member
Quit tempting me!!! ;)

You get one Carr, and you're like, dang this is a sweet amp, and then you get a second, and you're like, dang this one is top notch too, and then you...

I have a Viceroy, a Telstar, and now the Raleigh. They are all phenomenal amps. So many great amps in the Carr lineup. The one still on my list is the Impala. I don’t need an Impala; the Viceroy could be my clean, do all amp for years. But the Impala would be a killer amp to have. I have plenty to keep me busy without one, though.

I know that "just one more" feeling. :rotflmao

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
You get one Carr, and you're like, dang this is a sweet amp, and then you get a second, and you're like, dang this one is top notch too, and then you...

I have a Viceroy, a Telstar, and now the Raleigh. They are all phenomenal amps. So many great amps in the Carr lineup. The one still on my list is the Impala. I don’t need an Impala; the Viceroy could be my clean, do all amp for years. But the Impala would be a killer amp to have. I have plenty to keep me busy without one, though.

I know that "just one more" feeling. :rotflmao
oh yeah, I have played most and currently own 4. They are all great!! I definitely don't NEED a Raleigh, but I am sure it is cool!!

WolfmansBrother

Silver Supporting Member
Brought this to a jam at a friend's house yesterday. Very casual. It held up fine with a light acoustic drummer, bass, and saxaphone.

I primarily played the clean side with pedals, but I did use the drive side some as well.

On the clean side, even with drives and delays going, it always held together firmly, and the delays stayed clear. I could use the neck and middle positions on my tele without the amp sounding bloated. I still had enough clean to be clean and still have somewhere to go when I wanted more dirt.

On the drive side I only used a subtle delay, and no other pedals. It sounded great in the mix when I was looking to just play with a dirty and dirtier tone.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I just got a Raleigh. Amazing how good it sounds given its size. And everything - from the packing to the documentation to the amp itself - is quality. Happy camper.

wrenhunter

Carr amps are the best. Great customer service too. I wrote to them last fall about tube swapping, got immediate, helpful info.

ahab

That would be my pick if I were ever to buy another amp other than a Club Royale. Cheers!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom