NAD: 3rd Power Kitchen Sink

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gibson5413, Mar 19, 2019.

1. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

In a word...amazing! I wasn't sure what to expect from this amp. I know 3rd Power has a good reputation for their take on Fender/Vox cleans and Marshall crunch. The Kitchen Sink represents all three in one amp. I have had the Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne for several years and really like it. I still do but always struggled with the shared EQ and no Solo function.

I received it last night and after over an hour with the amp it has exceeded my expectations. I got the combo version loaded with a WGS Retro 30. The cleans are amazing. The Fender side of the clean is glassy. The Vox side is punchy and can get into slight overdrive tones. The great thing is you can mix the two types of cleans together. What a great feature! It just sounds fantastic! The Marshall crunch channel really surprised me. I was surprised how plexi like it could get but with more gain available. The gain knob has a great sweep to it. It allows you to go from traditional plexi tones to hotrodded plexi tones. At times I pushed the gain all the way up and it never farted out or got tubby. I was surprised how usable it was. I didn't even have the additional preamp stage engaged yet. I played around with that feature and it was nice adding a little extra gain for my rock leads. The onboard tube driven spring reverb sounds great! Just a big sounding and authentic combo amp.

Just a killer rock amp!! I was able to customize the tolex and grill options to what you see in the picture. I can't wait to use it at band rehearsal on Saturday. Clips are forthcoming!

Here are the specs:
    • CH.1 Two Voices, fully blendable (AC and American)
    • CH.2 Hotrodded Plexi tones are found here
    • Footswitchable Preamp gain boost on CH.2
    • Footswitchable HybridMaster for global volume control
    • Compatible with most loop switchers
    • Custom Mercury Magnetics Transformers throughout
    • Pedal Compatible All-tube FX Loop
    • Tube driven Spring Reverb
    • Illuminating backlit logo
    • 2 x E34L power tubes, up to 40W
    • 16, 8 and 4 ohm speaker outputs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AaeCee, Tread, Holzar88 and 8 others like this.
  2. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Sweet! I checked out the demo, the tones are great, right in my wheelhouse. At 29 lbs the weight is right in my sweet spot as well. Is $3399 the head pricing?

3. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I believe so on the price.

4. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

I a big fan of all things 3rd Power does. Congrats!

5. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I will have some clips available this weekend.

6. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Congrats.
    Great amp.
    What speaker is in this combo?
    I like the way channel 1 can blend Vox and American.
    To the builder, do the same on channel 2, have Plexi and one other voice and the ability to blend the crunches ...

7. DV52

DV52 Member

Nice !!!
    3rd Power makes great amps.

8. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

It has a WGS Retro 30 in it. I love the way that speaker sounds with this amp.

DiPa likes this.
  9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Congratulations on a stellar new amp! I like the color choice you made as well! :)

10. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

Is the weight really 29lbs? Or is that the head version.

11. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

That is for the amp head. The Kitchen Sink 1x12 combo is about 57 pounds. Considerably less than my Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne 1x12 combo (70 pounds).

12. mikey69

mikey69 Member

Congrat's on the amp, that is a dream amp of mine! blending blackface and vox tones seems pretty damg cool, how effective is the hybrid master ? can you get down to home playing levels with it? ... I see they have a new line with 2 models each ..so kind of a 2/3rd's of a kitchen sink, 3rd power is some fine stuff ..enjoy!