NAD: 5 watt Sll

BobbyFreedom

I think you'll really like it. Finally got my recording converted to a format the website likes. Keep in mind this was recorded with a cheap computer USB mic, but this is the guitar clean, then reverb turned on at about 30%, then 50%, then about 60%, and then turn the guitar volume up and I play a little lead at 60 so you're u can hear the effect when not just plucking chords.
I was still having upload issues. Here is a link to the file on my Google drive, hopefully this will work properly:

BobbyFreedom

Can't seem to find a website, any links? I have a buddy that needs one of these.
Frisco, might want to let your friend know to order soon based on the last message here about availability of the tape decks:

sll

Gold Supporting Member
I just added some technical information to the bottom of these postings which I'm sure will be of interest to 5 Watt Conversion amp owners. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:

sll

Gold Supporting Member
To address a question I have received regarding the tubes:
The amps are made using the core of the audio units of old 1960s Akai/Roberts tube reel to reel tape recorders. The tape recorders were stereo 2 channel recorders having left and right channel audio units. They looked almost identical except each contained some items that the other didn't have, like a pilot light, a record switch, a headphone jack etc. Additionally, the LEFT unit has an oscillator tube and circuitry which I remove during the conversion to a guitar amp. The layout of the tube locations also differs between the left and right channel units. The units are labeled LEFT or RIGHT on the front panels.

Here are how the tubes are arranged looking at the front of the amp and starting from the left side. The tube number designations (V1, V2,...) relate to the designations on the schematic I provided as part of the documentation I included with your amp. I hope this clears up any confusion.

LEFT Unit - EF86/6267, 12AX7/12AD7, 6X4, 6BQ5/EL84 (V2 V1 V4 V3 ) (there is also an empty tube socket which isn't used in the guitar amp)

RIGHT Unit - EF86/6267, 12AX7/12AD7, 6BQ5/EL84, 6X4 (V2 V1 V3 V4

V1 - 12AD7 = 12AX7
V2 - 6267 = EF86
V3 - 6BQ5 = EL84
V4 - 6x4. (rectifier tube)

Deus56

Just got my amp yesterday!!!!!!!!
I was able to pick up a spare pair of 12AD7s branded NEC.
They are killer. It's never a bad idea to have backups!!!!!!!!
66277304762-25-E40-A59-CA26-4875-9380-A9-D66-E52479-E.jpg

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I received my amp yesterday and played it for a couple hours last night!! It's even cooler in person and love the active VU meter!!!! :aok

The excellent demos by Mark in this thread are absolutely spot on. Almost zero noise floor, smooth volume taper, wide Treble and Bass EQ range, and both preamp circuits sound fantastic to me with and without boost engaged!!

Thanks to @neastguy for the NAD post; @Deus56 for his tips on spare tubes; AND @sll for creating this GREAT AMP!! :love:

Here's a picture of mine paired with a PT15 cab which I think sounds terrific!!

WQXRqTO.jpg

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I played several hours yesterday comparing my Avatar 1x12 with Alnico Cream and PT15 1x12 closed back with G12H-75.

Both sounded good, but I preferred it through my PT15. I think mostly because it was more focused being a closed back, but I also tend to prefer ceramic speakers over alnico. Strange, I know. Lol

Here's a couple of clips I threw together yesterday. Nothing special about my playing but might be helpful to some?

Fender Pro II Strat into the 12AX7 circuit:

Fender Pro II Strat into the EF86 circuit:

If anybody is on the fence about this amp......just pull the trigger now before it's too late!! :cool:

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
I played several hours yesterday comparing my Avatar 1x12 with Alnico Cream and PT15 1x12 closed back with G12H-75.

Both sounded good, but I preferred it through my PT15. I think mostly because it was more focused being a closed back, but I also tend to prefer ceramic speakers over alnico. Strange, I know. Lol

Here's a couple of clips I threw together yesterday. Nothing special about my playing but might be helpful to some?

Fender Pro II Strat into the 12AX7 circuit:

Fender Pro II Strat into the EF86 circuit:

If anybody is on the fence about this amp......just pull the trigger now before it's too late!! :cool:

Just curious .. what volume are you playing at in these vids?

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious .. what volume are you playing at in these vids?
I think volume was most of the way up (indicator lined up with tick mark at the 9:00 position).

I think the boost was engaged for these clips too, but don't remember for sure. I toggled the boost on and off all day and both sounded good!:cool:

I was working my guitar volume from 5 to 8 so it wasn't too loud in the room.

The EF86 circuit is hotter so I either cut back on amp volume a bit or reduced camera mic sensitivity to prevent clipping for that one.

I played it with several pedals today in 12AX7 circuit and thought it sounded great!

Last edited:

sll

Gold Supporting Member
Instructions for accessing the tubes in this amp.

UNPLUG THE AMP BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Actually, believe it or not, Akai/Roberts, in the owner's manual for the tape recorders, recommended reaching in from the front with the decorative grill removed to remove and replace the tubes. It can't reasonably be done.

Here are the steps for safety doing it should you need to:

1) lay the cabinet on its back with the end hanging slightly over the table edge with the power cord hanging down to the floor.

2) Unscrew the 4 bolts holding the chassis in the cabinet

3) Position the chassis for it's bottom to rest on the cabinet as you put the cabinet back on its feet.

4&5) Use the tube area slots as a handle and slide the chassis out only far enough to access the tubes. The power and rectifier tubes have spring clips holding them in place. Slide the top of the spring off of the top of the tube to allow to remove the tube. The tubes have a space without a pin to allow easy correct alignment when inserting into the socket.

6) To replace the chassis, while the cabinet is still on it's feet push the chassis back into the cabinet.

7) Place the cabinet onto its back again, like in Step 1, and while on its back align the panel bolt holes with those in the cabinet.

8) Insert the 4 bolts loosely in the holes and then tighten them.

All done.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, believe it or not, Akai/Roberts, in the owner's manual for the tape recorders, recommended reaching in from the front with the decorative grill removed to remove and replace the tubes. It can't reasonably be done.
That's hilarious. I would say trying to replace tubes that way would be impossible!

Just an update: I played through my Avatar with Alnico Cream last night and it sounded much better than my first try. Really good actually!!

One thing is for certain, the tonal sculpting possibilities are vast with the wide sweep of Bass and Treble controls and how they interact with the amp volume control! :cool:

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody else care to share your cab / speaker experiences with this cool amp?

I've spent time playing with various pedals connected to my Avatar 1x12 with Alnico cream and I think it sounds great!! :cool:

6pwdtz3.jpg

Reactions: sll

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
ok.. here is a little clip going clean into the amp with a some verb.. using my tele and a pine cab with a reaper ( I think WGS.. I'll have to look)
am is only at about 1/4 power on the knob.. next time I'll apply some gain..
sorry for the noodling. I never know what to play.. need to work on that... (recorded with an old canon camcorder)

2022013110185130--5295928448461961600-IMG_3714-X3.jpg

sll

Gold Supporting Member
ok.. here is a little clip going clean into the amp with a some verb.. using my tele and a pine cab with a reaper ( I think WGS.. I'll have to look)
sorry for the noodling. I never know what to play.. need to work on that... (recorded with an old canon camcorder)

Nice playing. Love it.

Deus56

Fabulous string separation!!! Very articulate.
Please confirm your speaker, if you can.
I also see you decoupled your cab from the floor, is that platform
for easy moving of the cab or were you getting too much bass from your cab?
Thanks, great clip.

Last edited:

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Cleaner amp sounds with various pedals in the 12AD7 circuit. Amp Volume at 8:30; Boost Off; Bass & Treble near Noon.

Playing a Suhr Classic S through the Avatar 1x12 in open back configuration with Celestion Alnico Cream:

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
Fabulous string separation!!! Very articulate.
Please confirm your speaker, if you can.
I also see you decoupled your cab from the floor, is that platform
for easy moving of the cab or were you getting too much bass from your cab?
Thanks, great clip.
Thanks for the kind words...
that cab is just up off the floor for ease of movement. I really dont think in my basement the sound would change much on the floor.. but at a gig.. Im sure I'd have to play with the bass settings
I plan on doing a better video where I actually go through the different settings of the amp.. just have to figure out when :0

the speaker is a well used 50w 80hm WGS reaper in a super light pine cab..
I have a weber silver bell that Im too lazy to put in to see how it does..
I have a Mojotone speaker in the princeton clone next to it.. I still need to plug that into the head...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom