• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD '62 Fender Super

ajmachnes

I have officially been bitten by the vintage amp bug--vintage Fenders, to be exact. I've recently had the great fortune to acquire a '65 Pro Reverb and a '64 Showman locally at very reasonable prices (both player's grade, but original where it matters). Today I took the plunge on my first Brownface and picked up this '62 Super:

The cabinet and speakers aren't original--it's a repro Fender cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 10s and has had the filter caps done, but inside that chassis lays an almost entirely unmolested, original circuit (save a cap or two), along with all original iron. It even still had the two-prong, but since I bought it from my tech, he quickly did the three-prong conversion while I waited around the shop and distracted him with silly questions. In the shop, it was sat next to a bone-stock original brown Super, and this one with its repro cab and new speakers completely smoked it. Didn't hurt that it was cheaper... They also happen to have what they've determined to be a prototype Twin Reverb, which was built with a Vibroverb preamp (complete with reverb AND harmonic trem) with a Twin power section. I'm seriously considering having him clone it for me in head form. But I digress...

This amp just has THAT sound. In my opinion, these Brownfaces are the perfect middle ground between Tweed grit and Blackface glass; the cleans are beautiful and rich, but dime either channel and you're squarely in Marshall territory. Bonus points for jumpering. The compression and bite of this thing when pushed is just unreal.

I feel incredibly lucky to own this amplifier. This one stays with me till I'm six feet under.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Someone else here on the forum just got a brown Super as well. I’m lucky enough to have one, too and I got rid of all my other Fenders because this amp ticks all the boxes for me as far as that sound goes. When it gets wound up it really comes alive. It loves all guitars. The eq is something else. Anything sounds good plugged in to it. I’m really psyched for you. And very cool that you could play 2 side by side. Nice to have replacement speakers that you don’t have to worry about blowing!

milocj

I've had a '62 Super for several years now. All original except speakers and a cap job. It knocked my '64 Vibrolux Reverb to second place among my Fenders. Probably a tie with my all original '62 Vox AC30.

Congratulations.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 62 as well. Great amps. My Oxfords sucked and I had a pair of Kendrick black frame 10’s and they actually sound really good in there, is it a 5 preamp tube or 6 preamp tube chassis?

ajmachnes

I have a 62 as well. Great amps. My Oxfords sucked and I had a pair of Kendrick black frame 10’s and they actually sound really good in there, is it a 5 preamp tube or 6 preamp tube chassis?
6G4-A, 6 tubes. These Celestions reeeally scream! When I jumpered the channels and dimed both at the shop, it was like an airplane taking off in the best way. I need a practice space...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom