NAD - After one month, Olsson amps Little Hill 20 head, great tones and features, relatively unknown (here)...

fabulusfab777

Gold Supporting Member
Hey folks,

Thought I'd write a little NAD thread since I saw very little info on these here on the forum. I have no affiliation with the brand, I got this amp about a month ago, in a trade for a guitar I had up for sale. So this guy offers me a Sweddish handwired boutique amp, I knew nothing about, an Olsson amps LIttle Hill 20. I made some ressearch, watched every video there was, and even contacted the builder, John Olsson, who btw responded and was great in his replies. In terms of value it was a good deal, I just needed to take a bit of a risk in possible resale value and of course go try the amp and see if I would like it. The amp had been imported from Sweeden about 10 months ago, and was/is in great near mint condition. I tried it, and wow, was really great so I made the trade. Here is a quick vid on Olsson amps and how they are made:

So I have a few amps already, but I was really on the search for a small, portable but loud enough amp for jamming with the band I have now, we play all kinds of covers, but from Led-Zep to Hendrix to GnR to Tool to STP and back to Pink Floyd. I really don't want to over hype it, but for me, for what I want and what I play, it's just great. Some of the key features that makes it work are, first the two channels have independant EQ's, now that for me, was really great. I can't believe how nice the clean channel is. Also the gain channel has enough gain for me on it's own, but is always really articulate and super touch sensitive to volume roll off/pick attack, and I can drive even further with pedals if needed. Also I was afraid it would not be loud enough, cause with that band we play real loud, but it really has enough volume for 99% of all application I would ever use it for. Also, another big plus, is it's effects loop, with volume for send and return, and on/off switch. This has open a whole new dimension for me and actually got me buying an expensive reverb pedal (FTT ambi space, not to name it)

So this went from being a great practice amp, to my #1 amp in very little time. Just wanted to share my experience, I had not heard of them a lot, and maybe they are more expensive then some lunchbox low wattage amps out there, but the offering is also quite different I think, and they are priced right to similar boutique offerings I think. 1 799.00$ at BJFe/PrimoFX , their US dealer.

Anyway if you have a chance to try one, go for it, and let me know if you have any questions. Here are some pics:

382NgiY.jpg

2LH1VWZ.jpg

Thanks

Tryston Bragdon

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought one and I just can not get myself to love it. It's not loud really and sounds super dark. Is it just mine?

Digidog

Just bought one and I just can not get myself to love it. It's not loud really and sounds super dark. Is it just mine?

It sounds like something's wrong with the amp. Being from Sweden, I've played a lot of Olsson amps, and the Little Hill amps I've tried have been severely loud, easy to dial in for a very biting sound and over all very flexible.

I almost bougt one the other day to use with Thin Lizzy cover band I play with, but had to remind myself that I'm saving up for the 100 Watter BJFE head and cab - expensive as they are.

fabulusfab777

Gold Supporting Member

So in terms of dark, I think maybe a tube swap in V1 could change it a bit, but also what cab are you using it with? Mine didn't seem too dark at all, but again, can be a matter of preferences and cab.

For reference, I've traded mine few months ago. I really liked the amp, but when I started playing with my band again, volumke wise, I think it had enough volume on the lead or dirty channel, but I was missing just a bit a headroom, so it's not the amps or design fault but there is a limit to what you can achieve with a 2xEL84 amp. The amp I'M using now is a REVV dynamis combo, 4x6V6 at around 40 watt, so it just works better for me.

I think it was the best 2xEL84 ''small'' amp I've ever had, but came to realize it's not the best format for my needs at the moment. But if I have the opportunity to try their other amps, I would really like to do so.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom