NAD!!!! Ampeg VT 40 baby!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bunky, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

ANyone recognize the year? Also how does it look? I'm wondering what the think on the upper right of the grill cloth was, maybe someone added and removed something?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

Sorrry I can't help you with the year or what was on the grill colth. But I'm looking at one of these also and will probably get it soon. The speakers have been changed in the one I'm looking at. I don't see speakers here, if you have them what are they? And if no speakers what are you thinking for it?
    I understand the one I'm thinking about has changed 50watt Celestions 10"s. I'm thinking I might go for a set of old Altec's or maybe CTS. I want to try running this together with my BF Super (CTS). That should sound good together.

3. Bunky

Bunky Member

I bought this one unloaded for $200. :) Just need to pick out the perfect speakers for it, have another thread asking for advice as i'm clueless in regards to speakers.

4. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

this does NOT look very good, that looks like a hot spot or hole in that tube. not trying to rain on your parade, but I'd be cautious about firing that up without getting it checked out.

5. Bunky

Bunky Member

I'm getting the amp totally worked over. How bad is it if the person who had it before me was playing it? Could it do much important damage?

I remember i tried it a year ago when another person owned it and a speaker seemed to buzz with volume around 10/11 oclock. When I gave it a quick test today, it seemed to make an extension speaker (ampeg was unloaded) buzz a little bit to around that volume when playing.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

That "hot spot" is the getter. It's how the tube is constructed.

7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I understanding flashing from the getter causing discoloration on the inside of the tube. That looks like the middle of the dark spot is actually gone, it could just be an optical illusion. The material seen through the center ('hole') looks oxidized compared to the material above and below the flashing mark on the glass. It could be reflection of the tolex. I'm just saying check it out since the amp was obviously in a non-operational state at the time of acquisition.

8. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

That amp looks LOUD. In fact, I think I can hear it from here.

Awesome score! These are fantastic and just so freaking loud. Love them.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I had one that looked just like it (nothing in the upper right corner though) that I bought NEW in like '73 or '74. It was my pride and joy. Played an ES-335 (can you believe that, and cranked. To this day I have no idea how I tamed the feedback, but I did, and even used it, but it was like riding a tiger). Killer sound. Great reverb, and I didn't even have any OD pedals back then, but in the band I was in...we got loud.

Heavy mother though. I learned early on, carry it cradled in my arms, not by the useless suitcase handle...unless you are Ah-nold.

Hope you enjoy it! Wish I still had mine, though nowdays I wouldn't be able to use it like I did as a kid.

10. Bunky

Bunky Member

Seeing as how the four rocker switches paint is mostly worn off, could someone tell me what they read? Also what exactly to they do, do the middle and treble ones enhance a certain part of the mids/treble respectively? And do the rockers above the volumes act as bright switches?

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

OK,, the switches above the volume controls are a three position switch, that set the amps input level sensitivity. Pushed down in the left position, the input is padded, IIRC, ~9db, in the middle, it's ~six db, and to the right it's zero, or unity,,. The rocker switch above the treble is set-up as a minus-zero-plus,,minus being a treble range cut, middle being neutral, and right being plus,,or bright, if you will.
    The switch above the middle pot sets the inductor range for the mids, the left, centered ~300, the middle, ~1000, and the right, ~3000.
    The tone controls are both boost, and cut,,center, (12:00), being flat.
    The treble has ~12db boost/cut,, the mid, ~20 db, the bass, ~12db.
    hope this helps,,,oh, you can probably get a new face panel from Fliptops.

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

An addendum,,by using something like a Lehle switcher, you can use both inputs, with one set at, say, the -6db, for rhythem, and the other at zero, to click-on for a solo. Or, to allow for guitar signal change between a high-output HB,,and a weaker SC.
    With a "0" setting, and a high-output pick-up, you might be pleased/surprised at how much crunch you can get at moderate volume levels.
    Have fun,,,,

13. Bunky

Bunky Member

Wow thanks, perfect. Now...is there a way to put that into laymans terms? I think i understand the trebles, but not so much the middle in regards to inductor range. Cheers.

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Instead of just having a "middle" control, Ampeg, in their wisdom, decided to have a middle control that could be used to cover a range of "overlapping" mid freqs. You could refer to the freq ranges as "low-mids,,,middle mids,,,high mids, etc. Or, perhaps we could say, "high bass,,mids,,low treble. The mid knob, together with the "range" switch is a huge part of that amps ability to cover a broad range of tones.

15. Bunky

Bunky Member

Okay that makes sense. So the treble rocker switch it basically a bright switch when all the way to the right, and normal in the middle, and cut to the left?

And the two volume rocker switches just change sensitivity of the input? Does that make it break up a little more, or a little more wiry/gnarly?

Thanks again.

16. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Right,,the right position is like a "bright" switch,,or using the bright input on some amps. Middle position is "neutral", or "normal", and the left position "darkens" the treble a bit,,kinda like changing the value of the "bright cap" in other amps.

17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

This will give you some ideas, as to some control settings, to tend towards some various sounds.
    http://www.ampegv4.com/images/Ampeg_Manual_P6.jpg
    Take notice of the diff between the settings for a Fender twin, and a Marshall, including the sensitivity setting.
    [​IMG]

18. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The Cele 50's are perfect for VT40's. The Altecs make an already loud amp louder and way heavier. CTS would give it a more American sound. Mine has stock Rolas with teeny magnets, but I used to have one with Celestion 50 watters and it sounded great.

19. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

ahhh, I've been looking for this - thanks!

as for speakers, fliptops.net recommends Eminence Legend 1058s in VT40s.

20. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

Thanks, thats good advise. I do know these are loud amps and I don't need to make it louder. I do have a line on 2 Altec 10"'s and I may put together a set of 4 just as an option. I'll stick with the 50's for know, now to go get this thing.

I'm also thinking of running it with my 65 Super witch has CTS speakers, hope the super can match the loudness of the Ampeg. Either way these 2 should sound great together. Thanks again for the info.