NAD and NCD! Bad Cat Black Cat 30 and Peterson diagonal 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SirGilmour, May 13, 2015.

1. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Yes another Bad Cat! :)

I've been a fan of the Cub series for years but have never owned a Black Cat until now. What a great 2 channel Vox type amp. All the chime you would want but without sacrificing any low end and the EF86 channel has a great natural overdrive. I've played it for a bit but I like what I've heard so far.

The Peterson I've had for a couple weeks and it just sounds HUGE! Matt was awesome to deal with and his work is second to none. I've never owned a diagonal cab before but I'm really glad I chose this option. It's a great In between size (2x12 vs. 4x12). It has amazing tight low end and I have an Avatar A25 alnico + Avatar 25 watt ceramic.

I'll do a more in depth review after a week or so comparing it to other Bad Cat models. (BadCat)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Hmmm, separate sends and returns for each channel? interesting. Didn't waste any time opening her up either, huh? ha ha.

I think you'll love it, I love mine.

3. joeprs

joeprs Member

Sweet! Congrats! Looking forward to your review.

4. 999369

999369 Member

Good amp :aok:aok:aok
    local have one is combo 1X12
    But asking $2500 is to hight ???

5. SirGilmour

I'm not sure how I feel about separate loops yet...... I never waste time checking out the guts! I think HW amps are a work of art. I think I will love it too.
    Thanks!

That's way too high. That's more than a new one I think. They typically go for around $1700-1900 I think. Maybe he's asking more because it's a "Sampson" era one?

6. 999369

999369 Member

7. SirGilmour

Yep. I think there are a couple in the emporium right now in the $1600-1750 range.

8. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

What year is the amp, it looks like a 2012 by the chassis date? Looks like a pre 2014 model by the feature set. Nice score!

9. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'd be curious to know how the Black Cat or Cub III take digital delays in the loop. I would love one of those two, but also tend to live by my digital delays and chorus pedals in the loop.

10. SirGilmour

Thanks! It is a 2012. Bought it from TGP username cityinfiction. I think it was a VERY good deal @ $1650 shipped/ppl since it has custom tolex, reverb and dual loops.

I find the Cub III loop VERY useful and will try my Timeline through the Black Cat hopefully tonight.

11. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Sweet! I'd be using a TC FB X4, but I can't imagine it behaving much different. I look forward to hearing what you have to say, since you own the two amps I'm interested in.

Congrats on the purchase!

12. voxylady

voxylady Member

Looks terrible. Probably sounds terrible. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you, free of charge.

13. SirGilmour

Ill keep you posted.

Ill tell you what: If you still feel that way after rehearsal on Saturday Ill give it to you. ;)

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Sweet!! Congrats!! Huge Bad Cat fan here.

15. TheBouc

TheBouc Member

Congrats man! I am ordering my Black Cat 30 tomorrow. I'm so excited to be getting an amp that I know doesn't mess around, and will deliver on promises, unlike many "boutique" amps. I have been communicating with John, and he has helped me refine my decision, and has done everything he can to give me the smoothest buying process. Great company.

16. SirGilmour

Awesome! John and Bad Cat are top notch. You won't be disappointed!

17. boyce89976

I guest you could run your loop effects in stereo and use both FX loops?

I can say with confidence the FX loop in my Black Cat is much better than the loop in my Matchless. The Matchless loop is hot, and tends to overload the input of the loop effects. Had to put my H9 into the front of the amp because of the loop level... clipped the input of the H9 like crazy!

Now... where's that review???

:munch

18. SirGilmour

That sucks about the Matchless but you arent the first person I have seen post that. I tried my Timeline in the loop last night and it worked like a charm. Im still not sure what to do with two loops........ I really only need stuff in the dirty side... I guess I could have the choice of picking which side I want dirty??

19. boyce89976

As long as you set the preamp clean or clean-ish on the Matchless the FX loop is fine (this is how I use it anyway, so not a big deal for me). If you want to use the amp for overdrive, you can clip the inputs of effects in the loop.

With the Matchless, the green led's on my Factor pedals are constantly lit (indicating signal). On the Black Cat, they never even light up! ha ha

Another option for the two FX loops on yours, you could get an A/B/Y box and use it as a splitter into both FX channels.

20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Oh man, you guys are killing me with this Bad Cat discussion! Ever since I saw Porcupine Tree live, I've lusted after one. There's just a mystique to them, the tone so chewy.