NAD - Bad Cat Custom Shop Hot Cat 50R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vchizzle, Sep 12, 2008.

1. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Actually it was 2 days ago. I haven't been able to give it a "real" test at home, cause its REALLY loud. My 30 works well at home, but this thing is alot louder. I really didn't try to dial in low volumes, cause I didn't buy it for that. I was playing it at "scared to play and piss off the neighbors" volume. Which means pretty easily heard outside, and REALLY annoying to my neighbor in the condo with the adjoining wall.

It sounds real good with more tone options than my 30(mid +/- on high gain side and 5 pos. rotary on clean). I can tell I wouldn't use the - setting on high gain cause its just too scooped sounding. Reverb is nothing to write home about, very subtle. More just to wet the sound a bit than provide a big reverb as effect, I think. I have my lexicon for the stereo side big verbs anyway. I'll know more when I get it into a band mix in the next couple weeks. The middle mid setting is like the old versions without(like my 30) and the + setting brings some Marshall-esque higher mids in.
    It reminds me slightly of the blue rev. Uber on the high gain side, but different - more class 'A'ish. That's the closest comparison I can think of though. I have 45 days to decide if I want to keep it or return it. It works equally well with the footswitch or plugging into the individual channel jacks from what I can tell. I'll do some clips at some point. I'd like to change some preamp tubes, but I need to get a tube layout chart first. I got some cool lower gain tones with the level, gain and edge at lower settings than I'd normally use. This is an issue I've heard people complain about with the 30, either not enough gain or too much. It seems like there's a slightly better taper with the adjustment of thos 3 knobs than the 30. Obviously slightly tighter with more clean headroom as you'd expect. Haven't played a ton on the clean channel yet. I'll report back when either I hear it in a band situation or do some clips.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

What a beauty. I'd love to play one of those. I know the OD channel kills. How is the clean and inbetween? Like with a tele or strat.

3. vchizzle

Thanks!

I need to spend more time on the clean channel itself. The lower gain tones, I've found sound excellent today...The classic rock type tones. I'm not a tele or strat player, the closest I could say would be split coil humbuckers...but I didn't try that today yet. Alot of people say they like Bad Cat's with single coils, sometimes better than humbuckers. The little bit I have played the clean channel, it seems it will stay pretty clean for quite awhile on the volume control before it breaks up much. That appeals to me, but some might prefer to get a little more grit with lower volumes.

4. swakowski

swakowski Member

did you get it straight from bad cat? if so, how long was the turn around? and if you don't mind, the price?

5. vchizzle

I bought it through a dealer for $2400. Which, I think, is close to cost?

6. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Sexified! I want clips! I'm a bit of a mid freak, so i couldn't deal with such a lack of control over the mids, but man that's gotta be a cool sounding head!

-DB