NAD - Badger 18... but a problem

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
Just took delivery on a Badger 18, bought a matching cab. I haven't owned a tube amp in years, and I thought I would treat myself. I powered it up, and it not loud at all, it isn't as loud as my Line 6 Powercab. It has cut back in for a second, but seems to be limping. I contacted the seller of the amp, i was hoping it can be a simple fix. Switched out instrument cable, i do have some El84's in case it is a tube issue. Help! @Husky if this is more appropriate for Suhr customer service, ill go that route.

Husky

Just took delivery on a Badger 18, bought a matching cab. I haven't owned a tube amp in years, and I thought I would treat myself. I powered it up, and it not loud at all, it isn't as loud as my Line 6 Powercab. It has cut back in for a second, but seems to be limping. I contacted the seller of the amp, i was hoping it can be a simple fix. Switched out instrument cable, i do have some El84's in case it is a tube issue. Help! @Husky if this is more appropriate for Suhr customer service, ill go that route.

I would suspect the rectifier tube depending on the age but if you want to send it in to make sure it is current on its shots please contact CS from the support page on the website. Anyone else is going to be guessing but I'm sure we can get it running for you. It wouldn't hurt to try the power tubes, they are cathode biased so just plug them in.

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
I would suspect the rectifier tube depending on the age but if you want to send it in to make sure it is current on its shots please contact CS from the support page on the website. Anyone else is going to be guessing but I'm sure we can get it running for you. It wouldn't hurt to try the power tubes, they are cathode biased so just plug them in.
Thanks John, I tried some EH power tubes, and there is no difference. It seemed to have cut back in when I had it idling for a few minutes, but then back to almost nothing. I put in a ticket, I hate to be that kind of Reverb buyer, but I may have to ask the guy for a partial refund. I have been looking forward to getting this tube rig going for a couple of weeks now, and it is a bummer.

Husky

Thanks John, I tried some EH power tubes, and there is no difference. It seemed to have cut back in when I had it idling for a few minutes, but then back to almost nothing. I put in a ticket, I hate to be that kind of Reverb buyer, but I may have to ask the guy for a partial refund. I have been looking forward to getting this tube rig going for a couple of weeks now, and it is a bummer.
Except for the cost of the tube and shipping we will take care if it for you and bring it up to current spec for that model. So if you can get a little more than shipping costs you should be whole.

Last edited:

Surgeon

I hate to be that kind of Reverb buyer,
There are way too few people who "hate to be a b*tch/crook/whining axehole when buying" so good for you, you're now my best friend (my condolences). However, the thing doesn't work so it's not like you're nitpicking to extort a few bucks from the seller. Best of luck, make it work and play it!

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
I kept plugging away this afternoon, and I tried running my Helix 4cm, which worked. I spoke with Ed in customer service, and he suggested that jacks sometimes get dirty, suggested some deoxit, which seemed to make sense since the helix in the middle worked. Eureka. Holy crap, does this thing sound the business. Thanks again, John, and Mikey, just noticed your comment, spot on.

Last edited:

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
Except for the cost of the tube and shipping we will take care if it for you and bring it up to current spec. So if you can get a little more than shipping costs you should be whole.
Current spec? Including the boost? If so, I might have it freshened up at some point, doesn't seem like the previous owner was taking the best care of it.

John, thank you again for being generous with your time, and for the gentleman in customer service sending me troubleshooting tips right away. With something as temperamental as a tube amp, I felt confident getting a product with your name on it. Hopefully, the jacks hold out, now that I hit it with the deoxit and "exercised" it with a cable.

jhumber

I kept plugging away this afternoon, and I tried running my Helix 4cm, which worked. I spoke with Ed in customer service, and he suggested that jacks sometimes get dirty, suggested some deoxit, which seemed to make sense since the helix in the middle worked.
I was going to suggest the same. My Badger 30 was cutting in and out and Suhr’s CS (which is always great) advised putting a patch cable in the FX loop send and return to test for a dirty jack socket. I did that and it started worked fine. The crazy thing is that same patch cable has remained connected in place for 18+ months. The amp sounds so good I don’t want to risk removing it, cleaning the jacks etc, then being nervous of whether it’s permanently fixed. Amazing amps, I run mine cleanish (gain on 4) with an Eclipse and Koko Reloaded handling all gain....I haven’t looked at amps or gain pedals in 18 months, and we all know how hard that is for a TGP member.

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
I was going to suggest the same. My Badger 30 was cutting in and out and Suhr’s CS (which is always great) advised putting a patch cable in the FX loop send and return to test for a dirty jack socket. I did that and it started worked fine. The crazy thing is that same patch cable has remained connected in place for 18+ months. The amp sounds so good I don’t want to risk removing it, cleaning the jacks etc, then being nervous of whether it’s permanently fixed. Amazing amps, I run mine cleanish (gain on 4) with an Eclipse and Koko Reloaded handling all gain....I haven’t looked at amps or gain pedals in 18 months, and we all know how hard that is for a TGP member.
Haha man of my own heart. I have a patch cable in the loop right now, gain set to 4, power set at about noon. I've rotated through guitars, and have just been setting drive to the output of the pickups. The drive sounds are great, but the edge of breakup is incredible. I am debating whether to start up a pedalboard or just stick with the Helix, which does have a nice variety of drive sounds.

CaliCaveMan

Silver Supporting Member
Except for the cost of the tube and shipping we will take care if it for you and bring it up to current spec. So if you can get a little more than shipping costs you should be whole.
WTH man, that's such good stuff....In Suhr we trust!

You scored. You divulge you're not the original purchaser and the man says they will make it right.....congrats on the new amp when Suhr fixes it for you. It will be awesome. That's insanely good customer service. I have to be honest, I have taken a couple amps to my other favorite amp company and they fixed a couple things for me over the years, but I did have to pay for parts and labor (which is totally fair), so wow man, you made a good choice.

Husky

Yes a patch cable in the loop is worth a try. Current spec for that version with any reliability upgrades. I can't convert it to a new model. ;-)
Current spec? Including the boost? If so, I might have it freshened up at some point, doesn't seem like the previous owner was taking the best care of it.

John, thank you again for being generous with your time, and for the gentleman in customer service sending me troubleshooting tips right away. With something as temperamental as a tube amp, I felt confident getting a product with your name on it. Hopefully, the jacks hold out, now that I hit it with the deoxit and "exercised" it with a cable.

Benz2112

Silver Supporting Member
Yes a patch cable in the loop is worth a try. Current spec for that version with any reliability upgrades. I can't convert it to a new model. ;-)
Was worth a try lol. Really loving the amp, BTW. Just set to edge of breakup, pick a flavor of OD, a little verb, and let your guitar controls do the rest. I forgot to mention that the cabinet also sounds huge for being such a small footprint.

Trending Topics