NAD! (Badger 30 w/1x12)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dnumde, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dnumde

dnumde Member

Been thinking about this amp ever since watching Pete Thorn demo'ed it last year. I am actually a very big OD100-SE+ fanboy, but given the circumstances on where and when i can crank an amp....chances are really slim.

So the Badger 30's been on my shortlist for a smaller (for a lack of proper term) amp, coupled with it's ability to take EL34/6L6 and having the Power Scaling. All the clips online did was to tip me over the scale :)

[​IMG]

I must say I'm enjoying it ALOT so far. 1st impression is that the amp certainly reminds me of it between a plexi and a 800, for the amount of gain that it has in this little box. And also the feeling of a really tight attack, probably again the 800 or a Shiva surprisingly. Definitely no problem nailing any stuff from Hendrix to Led Zepp or EVH, i'm not kidding!

I've ordered the 1x12 cab unloaded, and got a small dustcap M75 Scumback from Jim. Just needs time breaking it in, but i can foresee it being a replacement for my Marshall 1960AX cab which has the greenbacks really settled. The porting certainly helps with the cab sounding much bigger than it really looks, and i must say the fit & finish of everything is certainly as usual top notch from the guys at JST.

Thank you John for the amazing design and tools you bring to life for us guitarists, at least i'm truly thankful for the guitar and rig that i have!

2. gooma

gooma Member

Congrats on the new amp,

Thats one heck of a nice looking guitar you have there too.

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I have had my Badger 30 for a couple of monthe now and the rest of my amps(7)are colecting dust. It has a great clean sound with plenty of head room and you can tap it for a thick crunchy sound as well! I like the power scaling a lot better than my Airbrake...... Good luck and enjoy!!!

4. dnumde

dnumde Member

Thanks, that's my #1 for the past year and i'm enjoying it alot!

I agree with Lespaulsignature that it's got great headroom and a really gnarly crunchy tone. It's plenty loud for me, i reckon it can even hold it's own in a band setting and being mic'ed up on stage! All i need is just another nice OD pedal to goose it up :)

5. Mike33

Mike33 Member

Do you installed the M75 100Watt or the 65Watt?

6. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I just love the 30. Actually, I love both the badgers. Just depends what mood or song set I am playing. They really do different things. I also have an AC30CC Head that I really like as well. With these three heads I can pretty much get whatever I am after. Very cool.

18 and 30 both sound great through greenbacks in a closed back 2x12. Additionally I like the 18 through an open back with a Blue and H30.

7. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

What model Suhr is that?

:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

8. bynt

bynt Member

WOW! Congrats!! I've only played one but I sure loved it.

9. dnumde

dnumde Member

Hey Mike33, i got the 65 watter M75. Sounds dang sweet as it is already, can't wait for it to break in yet.

It's a Standard which i had ordered last year in denim blue finish, i was actually expecting a darker shade of blue but this faded looking finish grew on me...and now it's special and takes the #1 spot :)

A quick update, i actually found a spot where the head cab was slightly damaged.

[​IMG]

Initially I thought it was a change in the design as the curve seems to be right in between the whole panel, but it was bugging me. So alittle prodding and tapping revealed that the area below the curve and right on top, had it's tolex detached from the "curved" wood.

My biggest worry was that the impact might have caused a crack and that the tolex is holding it up for now. The good news is, I emailed Neil @ Suhr and his reply was that it's a damage and not a new design. What i didn't expect was that they hooked up immediately with Greg from Rocket Music (where i ordered my amp) and assured that a replacement headshell will be on its way to me FOC.

How cool is that? I just wanna thank both the guys at JST and Rocket Music for the incredible customer service and help, a class act and i'm pretty sure none of the dealers in my area has matched up to this level yet (or even half of this i should say).

FYI i'm in no way affiliated to Rocket Music even though i ordered both my guitar and amp from them, but that's because they really took care of my orders even though i'm an international customer.