• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD - BE-100 Deluxe (transformer noise seems loud)

Jim Roseberry

Hey folks,

Just got a new BE-100.
Sounds and feels great.

Transformer buzz/noise seems a bit louder than I remember.
Is it normal to be able to hear the transformer noise across the room?
Once I'm playing, the noise is drowned out...
The buzz is significantly louder than that of the Bogner Shiva (EL34) and Bogner Ecstasy 3534 I've been playing.

Otherwise, the amp sounds perfectly fine.

AtomicDonkey

Hey folks,

Just got a new BE-100.
Sounds and feels great.

Transformer buzz/noise seems a bit louder than I remember.
Is it normal to be able to hear the transformer noise across the room?
Once I'm playing, the noise is drowned out...
The buzz is significantly louder than that of the Bogner Shiva (EL34) and Bogner Ecstasy 3534 I've been playing.

Otherwise, the amp sounds perfectly fine.
I have a BE100 Deluxe I bought a week ago and I hear a slight hum. At about 5' away from it I don't notice it. My JCM800 2203x is dead quiet compared to it.

Motorboy1

Could be lack of filtering. Had the same thing with a Bogner Helios. That was Bogners explanation anyway. How does the 3534 compare to the Friedman? I have the 3534 and its great....looking at a Friedman....

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Is there any way anyone can post a clip of what the 'xformer being loud' means to you? I have 2 amps that hum at idle (out of many that don't) and it sort of bums me out as it might be what you're talking about? Anyway, I wouldn't expect that with a 3500.00 amp!

Eric

Blackmoreguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Is it mechanical noise from the transformer or a hum through the speaker?

I had a Runt 50 that had a distinct hum which was very noticeable and annoying at home but barely audible at a rehearsal and wasn't noticeable when I traded it in at a guitar shop either. It was really strange; as I said very noticeable in the room at home.

I tried to record the hum to send to a tech but it was hard to get a good recording of it; weird.

It had nothing to do with my AC supply and it even did it with the power tubes removed. It eventually went to a tech who agreed there was some hum but nothing he thought unusual and the amp got a clean bill of health. I did wonder if it was because of how close the transformers are to each other in that amp. The hum didn't get louder with volume btw.

Monstercastle

Silver Supporting Member
I received a JVM410H this week from them with a bad power transformer. Mechanical hum like crazy that vibrated the chassis and measured 20dB. Replacement should be here Tuesday.

Jim Roseberry

How does the 3534 compare to the Friedman? I have the 3534 and its great....looking at a Friedman....
I like both. Each has a familiar but unique character.
BE-100 Deluxe has more options... which you'd expect (given cost).
3534 is a lot more gig-friendly. Love the form-factor. Not lunchbox... but significantly smaller/lighter than the BE-100.
The 3534 now has me curious about the full-sized Ecstasy (more options/features).
The only thing I'm not crazy about with the 3534, the Boost (to me) seems a bit extreme. I'd love to be able to tweak the amount.

Jim Roseberry

I received a JVM410H this week from them with a bad power transformer. Mechanical hum like crazy that vibrated the chassis and measured 20dB. Replacement should be here Tuesday.
I was thinking about grabbing a JVM-410h. Had one several years ago. Got rid of it when I decided to scale back on live cartage.
The amount of gain on that thing is incredible.

The BE-100 that was delivered yesterday, you could hear the transformer noise across the room.

Monstercastle

Silver Supporting Member
I was thinking about grabbing a JVM-410h. Had one several years ago.
I sold my first one a little over a year ago after owning it since 2007. I regretted it and decided to correct the mistake. I debated the BE100 Deluxe, but decided $4k with tax was a bit too much. I’m sure it’s a fantastic amp though. Love my Jj Jr.

Motorboy1

3534 is a lot more gig-friendly. Love the form-factor. Not lunchbox... but significantly smaller/lighter than the BE-100.
The 3534 now has me curious about the full-sized Ecstasy (more options/features).
The only thing I'm not crazy about with the 3534, the Boost (to me) seems a bit extreme. I'd love to be able to tweak the amount.
From what Ive read from Ecstacy users the 3534 red channel has way more gain than the full size. Also the full size needs to be turned up to open up otherwise its dark and sort of wooly sounding. The 3534 is the best bedroom level sounding amp Ive owned. But turn it up and its a loud mofo with some thump.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Could be lack of filtering. Had the same thing with a Bogner Helios. That was Bogners explanation anyway. How does the 3534 compare to the Friedman? I have the 3534 and its great....looking at a Friedman....
Had this with a Helios as well, way noisier than the Shiva it sat on. Returned it for a refund.
Transformer hum comes thru the speakers.
It's tweakable.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom