NAD: Bogner Shiva. Will installing casters and handles hurt value?

Austin_Taunt

Silver Supporting Member
Had this amp saved on FB marketplace for over 6wks. Decided to finally pull the trigger bc I wanted a Marshall style amp to fill a void in my amp line up. Was between this and a Marshall JVM head. Drove 2hrs to get it while a ice storm came in and made the journey home take 4hrs. The things we do for music gear lol.

Decided on the el34 Shiva bc it was a combo and I didn’t want to get another speaker cabinet. Other features like a good master volume, built in boost and reverb were very nice as well. One thing I will say is the clean channel is something else. I can’t get it to break up at any reasonable volume so will definitely need to get a clean boost setting on it for edge of breakup tones. I’ve grown so used to having a bit of hair on my cleans that this is a new area for me.

The drive channel is super cool. Not exactly a Marshall and seems to have this low mid thing going on and it’s more refined. I actually prefer it bc I like clear amps that make me play with control. I felt with the marshalls I have had I could be a little sloppy and it would cover up inadequate playing nicely. With the Shiva every note rings out even with the gain at 2 o’clock.

Like a lot of you know, this thing weighs about 80lbs. Probably won’t leave the house unless I install handles on the side and/or casters. How bad will this hurt the value? The amp is basically mint condition and I would hate to cut into the sides for handles but I really think it would help make this thing more manageable. Also casters would be nice for rolling around if I ever took it to rehearsal or a gig. I guess I would be ok with keeping this as my home rig bc that is what it was bought for.

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
Congrats! Great amps, I love my EL34 head. I fear that the guitar posse is crazy enough to de-value the amp quite a bit considering your „mods“. But mine is a keeper and it seems to be the same to you. So go for it I guess?

Zatyricon

Silver Supporting Member
Super cool amp! Lately I’ve preferred to move the heavier gear with a furniture dolly.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
IMHO, like many Mesa's, Bogner should not have allowed that amp to be made into a combo. It's so heavy and cumbersome that it's hard to imagine Reinhold thinking it would be a good idea to not have casters or handles stock.

Will it deter future buyers. Yes. Should it be done if you want to actually use the thing? Again, yes. If money isn't an object, try swapping the cabinet or getting a head cab made for it.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Snag one of those foldable luggage cart/hand truck things. Some have retractable straps that work great.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
I would buy something like this, that you can use for multiple gear jobs.

T8445.jpg

Just find one that is high quality, has good wheels & works with the Shiva.

Costs way less than getting a new Cab made for it.

Yes, the Shiva 112 is a heavy sucker, I have several.............real arm stretcher. Great Amps IMHO.

:beer

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
You can put casters on it. Bogner sells those in their website. Caster should not hurts its value but adding side handles would IMO.

I like the caster idea, I also hate the side handles idea! Well, I like the idea if it is executed very well, and if you sold the amp I would devalue because of the side handles, but I would sure as hell use them!

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
Great amp, I've had mine since 2003. I did buy a headshell for it, and sold the combo cab years later after I bought a Shiva size 112.
I think it's my one amp that will go to my grave with me.

Austin_Taunt

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for everyone’s feedback so far. Really don’t want to convert it to a head bc then I would want a matching cabinet and really defeat the purpose of saving money. I got a good deal on it and avoided having to buy an additional cabinet. Honestly I may just have to come to grips with it will live it’s life in the house and just be a killer practice amp for home use. If I spend a large amount of money I’m thinking maybe putting an alnico creamback in it to make the clean channel really come alive.

I spent last night using a PRS 513 to run it thru it’s paces. Sounded really good. Today I used a 335 with t type pickups and holy smokes what a great pair. I ended up playing for 2hrs without ever switching off the bridge pup. Found a lot of tones just turning knobs on both the guitar and amp. I’m off work the next couple days and look forward to cranking it up and also working some time based effects into it.

Lef T

If you get to the point you want to take it out,buy a dolly.
Don't mod it,keep it original.
A dolly will work well and not cost an arm and a leg.

Colnago

I put casters on every tube amp that I own. I buy the little tiny ones from Amazon though, they’re 1” diameter wheels and two of the four have locks, so the height barely changes and you can barely see the wheels. They’re heavy duty enough as each caster can support 60lbs.
Handles are a different story. I guess if it a keeper, do it up.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom