• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD: Bugera 1960!!!!(You will be surprised)

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Well, at least two weeks ago. I kinda hijacked the 4-holer/plexi thread with it... :)

Soooo, yes it's a Bugera, Made In China and all.
Seen under my 5150 here:

It's supposed to be their spin on a traditional Marshall 1959. With a few twists.
Built in RR cascade mod, and the upper two channels are paralelled by default, no jumpering needed.
Fancy built-in automatic bias. Which seems to place most EL34's at around 32-33mV with a 480 plate voltage.

Bypassable fx-loop, switchable between line and pedal level. Bypassable PPIMV.

Build quality is decent, a bit too many quick-connectors inside though, which I plan to hardwire. Power tubes are chassis mounted, sits solidly.

It kinda looks like a rats nest but most of the wires are for the autobias stuff:

Now how does it sound?

One word: Awesome.

Totally blown away with the tone of this cheapo China-amp.

Marshall tones for days. Really.
Not very bright, even with presence and treble cranked.
Very sweet clean tone with the channel volumes kept below noon.
Van Halen tones when cranked. :)
The PPIMV is all right, but I really prefer the amp with it bypassed.
Took out two output tubes which made the volume more manageable. It's brutally loud at 100 watt.

Oh well, enough talking here's a bunch of clips.

No EQ or fancy studio tricks, just a Sennheiser e906 into a Line 6 UX1 interface, delay and reverb added in post.

1983 Kramer Pacer. JS Moore Custom pickup:

Peavey Predator Strat with SSL-5 bridge, HS-3 neck.

1988 Fender YJM, grey spec OD-250 clone:
Kramer, Duncan CC

Same Kramer Pacer
http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera-1960-dtna
Kramer Pacer
http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera-1960-non-cascade
Kramer Pacer
http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera-1960-panama-full

Not that bad for a $499 amp huh?!!!!

Now it might not be very roadworthy, but it's got tone! :)

Last edited:

6Tones

Sounds good,wish they would make a 50watt head with verb Id be all over that.

lang.murphy

Great tones you've gotten out of this amp. I've been following the "four holer appreciation" thread and was knocked out by your tracks.

How about a shot of the hind side? Would like to see the layout and the iron. Pretty please?

dave_mc

holy crap that first clip sounded awesome. I have to sign off for the night (so i don't have time to listen to any more) but... dang.

CaptCaveman

Just awesome!
How can one dislike such tone?
Say, how does it sound good in low volumes, like bedroom and small gigs, or just need to be cranked like the marshalls?
Since you've got one, does the 5153 give that type of sounds?

That sounds better than any 5150III clips I have heard. Wow...The only thing, is if Bugera changed that damn headbox it would win. Hate that. I like the bare chasis better.:dude

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Wonder if their speaker cabs are any good...
I'm sure the cabinets are usable, but they come with pretty much crap speakers.

Just awesome!
Say, how does it sound good in low volumes, like bedroom and small gigs, or just need to be cranked like the marshalls?
Since you've got one, does the 5153 give that type of sounds?
Bedroom levels are not happening, small gigs should be ok using the master, but it sounds the best cranked withthe MV bypassed...
The 5150 III sounds great too, obviously more "fine grained" and modern, but can deliver some nice Marshallish tones as well:
[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/g12h[/SOUNDCLOUD]

That sounds better than any 5150III clips I have heard. Wow...The only thing, is if Bugera changed that damn headbox it would win. Hate that. I like the bare chasis better.:dude
Yeah that headbox is uhm , special...
Thank you, sir!

Now... how about shots of the inside of the head case without the chassis in it?

:hide2
I'm not taking it apart again now, but it looks good, I'm sure it could take a beating.

I have used it dimed for a couple hours each day for almost two weeks now, so it seems to hold up well to volume abuse. :)

demea26

Awesome. Now I hate you because I may seek one out now and I definitely DO NOT need any more amps :)
Bugera makes some pretty convincing amps at a reasonable price point. I've had the V22 forever and wont trade or sell it. I've also had the 333XL and 6262 and loved them too. I've been wanting a BC30, but cant find one used.

I've always thought tone should be in the ears, not the name on the equipment.

lang.murphy

Yeah that headbox is uhm , special...

I'm not taking it apart again now, but it looks good, I'm sure it could take a beating.

I have used it dimed for a couple hours each day for almost two weeks now, so it seems to hold up well to volume abuse. :)
Oh, well... next time you DO pull the chassis, break out the camera...

I was more interested in the construction from the aspect of replacing the red bit up front. One assumes it's one piece, the front, that is...

dave_mc

Just awesome!
I've never actually tried a bugera, but I haven't heard too many complaints about the tone (certainly for the money they go for). It's the reliability that makes people wary of them.

I'm sure the cabinets are usable, but they come with pretty much crap speakers.
are the cabs even plywood? I mean I appreciate that they're cheap, but there are plenty of options currently for cheap, but reasonably decent, plywood cabs.

listened to the rest of your clips- sounds really, really good. awesome playing, too. What speakers/cab were you running it through?

bkatx

Sounds awesome, congrats. You certainly nailed the VH tone :) I wish there was a low watt model.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i'm really glad you started your own thread to highlight the amp, your playing, and those insane clips. . .

peace

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Oh, well... next time you DO pull the chassis, break out the camera...

I was more interested in the construction from the aspect of replacing the red bit up front. One assumes it's one piece, the front, that is...
The front is one piece, so no easy solution there. I'm considering just spray-painting it... :)

are the cabs even plywood? I mean I appreciate that they're cheap, but there are plenty of options currently for cheap, but reasonably decent, plywood cabs.

listened to the rest of your clips- sounds really, really good. awesome playing, too. What speakers/cab were you running it through?
Bugera doesn't say what the cabs are made of, so that would mean no plywood I'm sure. But Jet City cabs are cheap and made with plywood, still crap speakers though.
Most of the clips are done using a 2x12" EVH cab with G12H 70th Ann. speakers. A coulpe of the clips are a 1x12" thiele cab with a EV12L

Sounds awesome, congrats. You certainly nailed the VH tone :) I wish there was a low watt model.
Thank you!

If they made a low watt 22watt model with 6V6s it would rock the hizzy!
The problem is, I don't think you can get that tone out of something small..
But, I plan to check out a Bad Cat Unleash as soon as I can, I think it can be the solution for enjoying it at lower volumes.

i'm really glad you started your own thread to highlight the amp, your playing, and those insane clips. . .

peace
Thanks! :)

CaptCaveman

Thanks for the sample Blix!
I think I'm sticking w/ the 5153 for now.
I play classic rock and metal, and I believe that the 5153 is more suited 'cus I won't need to crank it up to get to the tones I need.
Gonna play at a small bar (150 persons max I think)
But the bugera is a nice plexi option for the price.
If I'm not asking much do you have more samples for the 5153? You sir record really well, and get some real nice tones!
What do you use to play on the 5153?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the sample Blix!
I think I'm sticking w/ the 5153 for now.
I play classic rock and metal, and I believe that the 5153 is more suited 'cus I won't need to crank it up to get to the tones I need.
Gonna play at a small bar (150 persons max I think)
But the bugera is a nice plexi option for the price.
If I'm not asking much do you have more samples for the 5153? You sir record really well, and get some real nice tones!
What do you use to play on the 5153?
Start on page 2 on my Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/tracks?format=html&page=2

Plenty 5150 there :)
And yeah the 5150 is truly fantastic!

Top Bottom