Nad Caa Od100se

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shredhead7, Apr 10, 2008.

1. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

I bought a CAA OD100SE and plugged it in for the first time last night. I bought it off Ebay and have a few questions as it didn't come with a manual. Can I download one some where or can someone email me one? I found the old OD100 manual on Bradshaw's site, but nothing about the SE. Also, how do I tell if this is the + or not? It has the whoomp switch and is running on 5881's, it also has the feedback and depth knobs on the back. I assume it is a + because of this, but I'm not sure.

Before I give my assessment, I have the following heads: Marshall Cameron Aldrich Mod, Engl Powerball, Mesa Triaxis, Carvin Legacy.

My assessment after one hour is this. The cleans were very good and close to what I was expecting. I was hoping for a Fender styled clean with a slight break up if needed and that is what I got. It isn't the clean of either the Legacy, which has zero break up but is gorgeous in it's shimmer, or the triaxis solid state with warmth, but somewhere in the middle, a great addition to my collection. I don't use stomp boxes, but wish I had a nice O/D like an Xotic BB to really put it through the paces.

Channel 2 wasn't quite what I expected. First, the amps that I own, have a lot of compression, though they don't all sound like it. The gain structure on this head is a lot different. It's full, thick, and clear, while not being compressed (though it sounds more compressed than my Cameron). Meaning, it shows your flaws. I was surprised by the voicing as well. I was expecting a more upper mid range sound (based on the vid clips), but it is closer to my Powerball and Mesa, than the Marshall.

With the boost on, it is a raunchy beast, but again, sounds a little more solid state than my Marshall. Where the Powerball is like half way between a Dual Rec and a Marshall, this is like half way between a Powerball and Marshall. Again, the picking is very clear and articulate, even in full chords, which is amazing. The great thing about it is that at very loud volumes, there is no bad feedback, and it just growls. This is amazing for riffs and chord playing.

Things I'm still on the fence about are what I previously mentioned. I'm used to amps that allow solos to flow very easily from my fingers. This amp makes you work, which is strange considering the amount of saturation. I was hoping to find a tone similar to Chris Impelletteri's Suhr Marshall (don't laugh, his tone is amazing), which is closer to my Cameron than this amp. I will play around with this more, the amp does sound great for rhythms and clean.

My ideal tone would be my Cameron, with a touch more body, less feedback (as it is prone to feedback), and a gorgeous bloom. I guess a more hot rodded brown sound. If I could take the OD100's volume, saturation and note def and combine it with my Cameron's upper mid voicing and growl.

If anyone owners out there want to chime in with some tips, manuals, tubes, clean boost suggestions, etc. I would appreciate it. In the mean time, I will keep tweaking.

:JAM

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

One question: do you have the SE or SE+?

I would definitely suggest you give the amp a solid few weeks of playing before jumping to any conclusions. I think you are correct that the amp maintains articulation even under high gain conditions, but I view that more as a strength than a weakness. I would suggest you listen to some of the youtube clips of the amp because I've heard some very fluid sounding solos come out of it. Hot rodded brown sound up the wazoo you might say. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A219p2dEc2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6tKjQ1SNCw&feature=related

Another thing: how loud are you playing? Most 100 watt amps aren't really going to sound stellar until you make them work. The OD-100 sounds so huge, responsive, dynamic, and complex at high volume, I really think it's one of the best amps I've ever used.

If channel 2 really doesn't float your boat for solos, you could always use an appropriate pedal on channel 1. Pedals work extremely well on this channel and will produce really fantastic, complex tones.

I have the manual somewhere. You don't need it. It's not very in-depth.

3. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

Thanks for the reply. I saw those vids before I bought, they were part of the reason that I bought it.

I am not sure if it is a + or not, that was why I was asking. What makes a + vs the SE?

I played some more last night. I do like the sound, but not sure if I like it enough to keep it or try to find something else. I know I like the Bogner tone and modded Marshall tones, so it might be going on the trading block. I'll keep tweaking through the weekend.

4. jelyfinger

jelyfinger Member

Sounds like you have an SE, not an SE+. The SE+ has EL34's & a Plexi tranny. Much more saturated gain than an SE & an improved unboosted channel 2.

5. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

Thanks. Do you know how much the update costs?

6. Zootallures

Zootallures Member

Congrats Man, still one of the best amps out there.
    Yeah, I agree with jelyfinger.
    The SE+ has EL-34's and a Plexi Tranny
    more saturated gain and whomp switch.
    I Absolutely love my SE+, man this amp Rips.
    A bit more Darker and Open sounding than my Elmwood M90.
    Still they both have Killer Saturation!!

[​IMG]

7. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

The Elmwood was another amp I was looking at. I'm basically looking for something for soloing. I'm tired of the local scene here and have decided that I'm going to focus on instrumental music on my own. As I stated in my first post, the amps that I own are fairly easy to play and are forgiving. How does the Elmwood compare to the CAA in that regard? I'm also not sure if I would be happier with the Classic + or the Standard + instead. The Engl and the Mesa that I have already do the Dark and Saturated and I've found that I like playing my Cameron the best, though it doesn't really do anything other than leads or a great Hendrix rolled back volume thing (which is why I'm looking for a little more versatility).

8. Zootallures

Zootallures Member

The Elmwood has it's own thing goin' on.
    It's definitely got a Modded Marshallesque Tone about it,
    while retaining a sound all its own. (The Elmwood Tone)
    The Elmwood is very close in forgiveness compared to
    the CAA. It's not saggy like an Uberschall or Recto, it has
    more tightness of a Marshall or Splawn.
    The Elmwood has more Edge (brightness), an aggressive Modded Marshall Bite.
    The CAA SE+ has a Darker nature, but smoother with a wide open
    growl. The saturation on both amps are Top Shelf, chords ring out
    with brilliance, they will expose sloppy playing, so keep it tight.
    If I embarked on an instrumental career, these would be the amps
    I would record with.

9. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

$300 + shipping.

I had an SE with 5881s, yuck. I sent it immediately for the "+" mod with plexi tranny & EL34s...100% improvement.

It was a good amp, but I ended up trading it away as I had other amps that did, IMO, everything better than the CAA. I just got an Elmwood M90, and honestly, it sounds and feels like what I thought the CAA was going to be, plus a lot more.

However, if you dig the OD100 SE and like it enough to spend a bit to improve it drastically, box her and send her to Suhr and company. They are AWESOME.

10. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Bradshaw is not really involved with the OD 100 so much anymore, it's a John Suhr thing now. Email John & Ed and tell THEM what you told us, they can help you.

johnsuhr@suhrguitars.com

951-471-2334

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I much prefer the Standard+ to the SE or SE+ version. For me, it'd be either the Classic+ or the Standard+.

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

It's all subjective but I much prefer the new SE plus over the Classic plus. Love my SE+. I haven't tried the Standard plus though and hear it sounds great. I had an original bradshaw OD100 and the new Suhrs are better to my ears.

13. shoe

shoe Member

It is totally subjective.

I've owned the Standard, SE, and currently own a Classic Plus. I've also played the Standard Plus and SE Plus side by side with the Classic Plus.

Based on what you've described, I think you ought to give the Standard Plus a shot.....its nothing like the old standard and totally kills the SE and SE Plus away, IMO.

The only reason why I use a Classic Plus is that its the only one out of the bunch that handles single coils as well as it does humbuckers and I just love the voicing on the amp. I'd love to have a Standard Plus too some day!

14. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Yes I want to try that one for sure. Bet it kills.

Enter the 5150III which I do not like at all and I know you like it a bunch and the Elmwood M90 which I love and many I know don't jive with it at all, it's all so subjective. Unfortunately the only way I get to really analyze an amp to see if it works for me is in my band and my own settings/situations. John tells me I would probably like the standard plus but I like my SE+ too much to sacrifice it in order to free up the $$ to try the Standard + but I am sure I will try one at Suhr or get someone to buy one so I can try one. My bandmate who has more amps than anyone I know and I have different tastes in amps for sure yet we play similar. It is so subjective.

15. shoe

shoe Member

100% agree with you Steve. Its all about how the amp works with the band and on recordings. That's where the 5150 III really surprised me. I was expecting that to be a guilty pleasure amp and its wound up being my main workhorse for humbucker stuff. Ch 2 pushed with an OCD is just awesome, I Ch 3 just really works for my lead playing. Different strokes.

FYI - I got to play those different CAA heads in the Suhr soundbooth at NAMM. Even Reb liked the Standard Plus better than the SE Plus (or old SE for that matter). To me, the current Standard Plus is the amp I always wanted my SE to be.