NAD!! (+Calling all 3rd Power owners)

Smashies

Platinum Supporting Member
Just pulled the trigger on this one on Reverb. 3rd Power Dual Citizen w/ 1x12 Dream Cab loaded with a Gold!!

More info: http://www.3rdpower.com/dual_citizen.htm

EDIT: Call to all 3rd Power owners: what are some good settings you've found with 3rd Power amps using the company's American and AC rigs? Also, call to all Dual Citizen owners: what are some good settings where the channels are mixed?

Last edited:

Smashies

Edited OP re: asking 3rd Power owners about their experiences with this and similar amps.

jguitarslim

On the AC usually ran amp with top cut @ 9am, Voicing on Brilliance mod w mid boost off. Gave nice chimey vox sound. But all to individual taste. As mentioned amp is real simple to dial in. More time to just play!

Smashies

Jesus Hubert Walker Christ ... I never could've imagined this amp would sound as good as it does. Haven't put it through all of its paces yet--I haven't even taken it out of "studio mode" or the tube-rectified mode since it's late where I am, but I haven't found a bad tone on this amp yet. It takes drive pedals in the front end very well, however (and this may sound like blasphemy to some), I have gotten MUCH more tonal joy out of playing straight into the amp than putting drives in front of it. My Timmy, Blue Note, KTR, Soothsayer, and Beano Boost do nice things with it, but this amp doesn't need ANY of those to deliver the goods I'm looking for. What I'm ESPECIALLY baffled by is how the alnico gold speaker doesn't present a muddy bottom end like my alnico blue in my Maz 18. With this closed-back cab, I'm getting a tight bass response that just shocks me.

I've yet to try modulation in the loop, which will come tomorrow. And, of course, we'll be hearing just how much air this puppy can push in the "stage mode".

More to come! :dude:dude:dude

Smashies

Update: the citizen loop works as advertised. Mod effects in the loop sound much more 3D and high-definition than they do through any other loop I've employed. Granted, I've yet to play a two-rock while using an effects loop, which I understand are very good. Regardless, this loop does its job to a T. It's very hard to describe in words how it distinguishes itself from the quality sound-wise of other loops, and I imagine that goes for all effects loops. However, frequent effects loop issues such as tone suck, treble-loss, hum, hiss, volume loss, etc. are non-issues here.

I tested the amp on stage mode. It sounds as loud as you'd expect 50 watts to be when dimed. I.e., bowel-shaking loud.

On that note: the Hybrid-Master Volume (HMV). For those of you that don't know, the HMV is not like a master volume on many other amps that only controls the power tubes while the regular volume knob only controls the pre-amp tubes. You can of the HMV as the best attenuator you've ever known. You will get very much the same tonal signature at low volumes on the HMV as you will when the HMV is set much higher. The regular volume controls (one for each channel) operate, results-wise, as though you're turning the volume knob on a non-MV amp. I know that may seem confusing, but it's true. The HMV basically decides what wattage level the amp is operating at, while the volume knob to each channel is just that: a universal volume knob for each channel.

Going back to work. More to come.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Update: the citizen loop works as advertised. Mod effects in the loop sound much more 3D and high-definition than they do through any other loop I've employed. Granted, I've yet to play a two-rock while using an effects loop, which I understand are very good. Regardless, this loop does its job to a T. It's very hard to describe in words how it distinguishes itself from the quality sound-wise of other loops, and I imagine that goes for all effects loops. However, frequent effects loop issues such as tone suck, treble-loss, hum, hiss, volume loss, etc. are non-issues here.

I tested the amp on stage mode. It sounds as loud as you'd expect 50 watts to be when dimed. I.e., bowel-shaking loud.

On that note: the Hybrid-Master Volume (HMV). For those of you that don't know, the HMV is not like a master volume on many other amps that only controls the power tubes while the regular volume knob only controls the pre-amp tubes. You can of the HMV as the best attenuator you've ever known. You will get very much the same tonal signature at low volumes on the HMV as you will when the HMV is set much higher. The regular volume controls (one for each channel) operate, results-wise, as though you're turning the volume knob on a non-MV amp. I know that may seem confusing, but it's true. The HMV basically decides what wattage level the amp is operating at, while the volume knob to each channel is just that: a universal volume knob for each channel.

Going back to work. More to come.
This is a very similar experience to what I've had with my Dream Weaver MKII. The Hybrid Master is just fantastic. There is no real downside to these amps IMO. I think it's only a matter of time before folks really start to catch on to what 3rd Power has going on.

Trending Topics