NAD: Carr Mercury V. Wow.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big jilm, Jul 12, 2018.

1. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Just brought this home from Randy at Infinity Guitars here in Houston. I have only played through it for a couple of hours - these are just my first impressions. There will be more updates to come. Cream and coco Carr Mercury V.

[​IMG]

First thing to notice: It's beautiful. Everything on the amp is beautiful. The tolex and piping are fantastic looking, the grill cloth is the perfect color for this amp, the faceplate and knobs are nice to look at, and the Carr badge looks great. Even the back looks cool. So, yeah - nice looking piece of equipment. Even my wife approves! It feels substantial. You can tell that it is quality.

Second: It's small, light, and easy to carry. I have a bad back, so this is important to me. The website says 41lbs, but it feels lighter than that... I'm sure they are right, though. Anyway, it's light enough for me, and the handle is heavy duty and feels great in the hand.

Third (and most important!): The sound (so far - and I have been using it attenuated). It sounds fantastic. Just like the better YouTube demos from Rodney Gene Jr. and Lance Keltner. It sounds like a little cranked Plexi, and it sounds very big for it's size with a ton of bottom end. I kinda go for a Malcolm/Angus tone most of the time, and it has that in spades - but it will do WAY more than just that. Boost 1 gets great Malcolm tones, but I am also getting great warm cleans and some cool Rolling Stones style 60's rock sounds. Boost 2 and Angus is there, plus some harder fantastic rock sounds. ZZ Top, etc. Great for solos. Boost 3 is more gain, and I haven't used it much yet - though it seems like you could pretty much play modern rock with it set here, if that's your thing. If you switch the toggle to series, everything gets gainier and tighter feeling - I doubt I'll use this much, but who knows. It's there. Sounds great both with my SG and my Tele, and cleans up great using the guitar's volume knob. It sounds open and powerful.

The attenuator: Fantastic. I can get it down to apartment volumes, and it still sounds great. Whisper levels are possible, but you always lose a little something there. Set at normal apartment friendly volumes, it sounds like a big amp. It's got that Marshally growl going on, and I love it. I disengaged the attenuator in the store, and cranked it for a minute - let me tell you, it's a loud amp for 16 watts. Reminds me a little of the Budda SD18 I had in that regard. It's definitely loud enough to get over a drummer using the tones I like, at volumes I would play at.

The reverb: GREAT! It doesn't dominate the sound - it sits back there making the tone deeper and sweeter (if that makes sense). I usually prefer hall reverb from a pedal in an FX loop, but that's not gonna happen here. I don't think I will miss it - the reverb is really good.

Pedals: I have only tried it with a couple of my pedals. Stepping on my Mythical Overdrive (set as a boost, really) seems to work great for pushing the amp up for solos. Jury is still out on my Lovepedal Echo Baby - I need to get into it and mess with the internal trimmer pots to really tell if I'll be cool with this delay into the front of the amp. Love it in an FX loop, though. We'll see.

One of the main reasons I wanted this amp was the direct out. I record at home, and if it sounds good used like this, it will be a godsend. I'll report back, hopefully with some sound clips recorded this way.

Anyway, cool amp. When I heard the Rodney Gene Jr. YouTube demo, I knew I was going to get one of these. So far, I'm really glad I did.

A shot in it's new home:

[​IMG]

And a better pic stolen from Infinity Guitars website:

[​IMG]

2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

i didn’t need to see that rodney vid. you are a very bad person.
    subscribed.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    CRAIG4FSU, morgan918 and big jilm like this.
  3. altouchet

altouchet Member

Nice amp. Does that music store in Houston have a good selection of Carrs to demo? I'm in Louisiana.

porterburst likes this.
  4. big jilm

He only has a Lincoln in right now. He'll be ordering in another Mercury V soon, though. check his website:
    http://www.infinityguitars.com/

porterburst likes this.
  5. big jilm

Yeah, that video killed me.

This one is awesome too, for rock tones:

He's playing a head through a cab, though.

6. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

Congratulations on a beautiful amp! I am sure it sounds great too! I recently purchased a Carr Skylark, but it was a very difficult decision between that and Merc V. I do love my Skylark, but hope to add a Merc V in the future.

porterburst and big jilm like this.
  7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Man, these are at pretty much the top of my amp wish list. Congrats on the new addition!

SRT2011, porterburst and big jilm like this.
  8. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Feel the same way....just got mine a couple of months ago from Guitar Sanctuary.[​IMG]

9. big jilm

Nice man! My Tele sounds great through this thing!

porterburst likes this.
  10. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

They're amazing amps, good for you.

SRT2011 and big jilm like this.
  11. big jilm

Playing tonight at night-time condo levels using the attenuator. Very low. For sure there is something missing at this volume - a lot, in fact - but I will say that the tone is still one that i get lost in. Played for an hour before I knew what was happening.

This amp is really happening.

porterburst likes this.
  12. Vcaster

Vcaster Silver Supporting Member

Happy New Amp Day! Those Carr amps sure seem fabulous, especially the Mercury V.

big jilm likes this.
  13. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

HA! Agreed. The Mercury V was the first video i saw of Rodney when i was researching this amp. Immediately subscribed to his utube channel. He gives a lot of good advice in the comment section too. Since we all can't afford or get to do demos on all these killer amps he plays, him giving tone opinions, etc goes a long way. Killer player too.

hnad, BJ!! It will be in my arsenal soon.

big jilm and porterburst like this.
  14. myke232

myke232 Member

It better be for that price!

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  15. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Great amp, congrats. I almost made a deal on an early non-V version Carr Mercury. A nice amp, with great tone and size.

big jilm and porterburst like this.
  16. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Very nice! Congrats!

big jilm likes this.
  17. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Nice!! Enjoy!!

big jilm likes this.
  18. big jilm

So I figured out the series-parallel thing this morning. I take it back - there is a use for the switch in the series position. Boost 2, both gain knobs about 9 o'clock, TMB about noon, reverb 10 0'clock. Tight with huge amounts of sustain for soloing. Man, this amp is something else.

LPBlues likes this.
  19. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

Yes, for live gigs an attenuator such as the Z brakelite works great at 1 or 2 clicks. This amp has enough oomph to come thru mild attenuation great without losing dynamics. It fills in the area between no attenuation and the amps attenuator, which is ok for real low volumes but too much is lost for a gig volume..

big jilm likes this.
  20. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I played one at CME last weekend. Great amp!

big jilm likes this.