Nad: Ceriatone Ots20 - Gut Shots Added

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Billy_B, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Can someone explain the difference between line level and instrument level? I always thought they were pretty much the same.

2. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Throw a G12-65 or WGS12L into a 1x12 and it will really shine.

3. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

From reverb:

“Line level is the standard signal strength at which most audio equipment is designed to operate. Lower-level microphone and instrument signals must be brought up to line level with a preamp before interfacing with most equipment. These line level signals are then further amplified to drive speakers and headphones for playback. There are two common standards for line level: +4dBV for professional audio equipment and -10dBu for consumer-level products.”

4. Billy_B

@Kilometers Davis Thanks! I think by setting the last box in the loop buffered is why
    the OTS isn't having issues.

Kilometers Davis likes this.
  5. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Member

Love my OTS20. Built a Klein for it and was worth doing...more controls and options. I used an old C12N and built a cab...sounds very sweet.

6. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Out of curiosity I did a little digging (not much) and it appears as though some or maybe most strymon pedals can hang in a line level loop depending on the amp and how it’s setup. Now, if you were to use something like a boss pedal then you might see why people tend to opt for the kleins and C’s. I haven’t done it but supposedly it’s not a whole lot of fun.

7. Billy_B

Have read pretty much the same thing. The Strymon stuff is just in the loop. I have analog pedals (4) up front and using a Mesa High Wire. The difference if I don't use it is pretty black and white. I'll never be without the MBHW again.

The amp:
    - Nik had told me the head ran cool. Easily the coolest of the five I've messed with recently.
    - Think I'm starting to understand the control interaction. The EQ is more like a 3 band gain boost and the smallest adjustment there can really have a big impact.
    - Sooooo touch sensitive. I keep feeling like I'm playing in slow motion cause I'm stopping to listen to everything so much!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    ur2funky and Kilometers Davis like this.
  8. Billy_B

The first three sessions I was intimidated by the control layout and how complex it is - it really is at first trying to get the right gain/clean balance.
    After this morning I'm wishing my other amps had the same level of control!

9. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

The 20 is one of my favorite sounding/feeling d clones, at any price. Factor in the price and.....I don't even have a good analogy.

ur2funky and Billy_B like this.
  10. Billy_B

Sorry for the size but I figure it's OK when it's the guts. :) The word immaculate comes to mind.

[​IMG]

Kilometers Davis and tjontheroad like this.
  11. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Okay, OTS 20 users... Can the 20 still do country clean headroom at gigging levels (not crazy loud, but still drums, vocals, bass)? Would probably be using a single-12 cabinet. Could use a closed-back 2x12 if that would be better.

12. Billy_B

@guitarmook I don't get anywhere near gigging volumes so I can't help.

10 days in and this amp is remarkable. I pretty much have the controls down
    to dial in what I what at any given time. It's got a pretty wide sweet spot that's
    fun to play around in so fiddling is rewarded. Not going to describe the tones
    except to say it's a very inspirational amp to play. So nuanced and touch sensitive
    and captures the best of every guitar.

Extreme thanks to Nik and all at Ceriatone! I love this amplifier.

ur2funky likes this.
  13. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Depends on the drummer and your speaker efficiency. The speakers I have right now aren’t very efficient and it sounds to me like it’ll be gritty at that point with what I’m using. Now, if I had an EVM12L or two that might not be the case. The headroom from what I can tell is similar to that of a deluxe reverb with a similar output handling / efficiency speaker.

14. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Thanks, KD... moved from DR to Vibrolux because it just wasn't quite sharp enough. I think the answer is "you'll have to play it..." and from there, unless a miracle occurs and I find one locally, it's probably easier to find a 50-watt OTS and just KNOW that it will handle clean okay. -

15. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

I guess I should clarify a little, the DR I’m specifically comparing is the 68 CDR which I think breaks up a little earlier than the average unmolested vintage or reissue. I think it’s really going to come down to who’s drumming. As long as they aren’t too heavy handed, you should be fine with a high efficiency 2x12.

Yeah man, 20ish watts really rides that cusp of “holy ****, is this going to work?!?!”

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  16. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I owned and played (for a while) an original early 70s, pre-boost silverface deluxe. With a Weber California speaker. Not quite there. And I don't think it's the character of 6V6s vs. 6L6s, because I had (and loved) a ToneKing w/ 4 6V6s that had fantastic cleans. I think 20-ish watts is just not quite enough headroom for the sound in my head.

17. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Yeah. I've been inside quite a few C tones and now own a small collection of them......Nik and his folks pay the F attention.

Billy_B likes this.