• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NAD: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15

soulmap

Looks awsome - how does it sound??
in a word; GREAT!
in a few more words; strong, solid, big...
The JRT has two volume knobs controlling two differently voiced 5879s in the preamp, a 'click' tone knob and a high cut, then a toggle to choose between a 6V6 or EL84 power section. -- lots of shades of rock there -- it is a rock n roll sounding amp! -- the first tones that have really struck me (it's still very new to me) are the Stones/Faces kind of rhythm; I can sit on an A shuffle all day and be happy -- so much depth in the... well "crunch" seems too simple a word.
A very satisfying sound.

UPS was rough on it tho, it seems; the click was unmoored from its seat -- had to take the knob off and tightne the washer. I'm still unsure of the click tone's function -- it's either quite subtle or it's not working quite right...but I can't find a sound I don't like there -- so, I don't think there is anything wrong.
The shipping ordeal has shaken the 5879s too much; getting spitting and hiss at idle. So I ordered a NOS pair. Will at Lowe Vintage Instruments has offered to reimburse me, but I don't think I'll take him up on that. Not ideal, for a new amp, but it's always a risk for a tube amp. UPS drivers and handlers can not enjoy these 60lb boxes. And the amp still great fun to play, as is!
I haven't gigged with it but I did take it to a very quiet rehearsal; 48lbs is just barely shy of troublesome to carry, for me. Even set very quiet, it has a rich presence and good sustain. It was a bit frustrating not to be able to push it, at this quiet rehearsal, but some situations...
Pedals sound great through it, though I have been very happy plugging straight in. It seems happy with most any guitar I've plugged in, though the big bottom end made my big archtop even more feedback prone. But yes; a Telecaster = heaven.
I'm really looking forward to gigging with it.

I do wonder what the 'click' tone is really doing tho -- I haven't used one before on any amp. At this point (very early in the game) it seems very subtle?
The high cut works beautifully -- never dulling the sound but just takes off or adds a bit of edge.
Great presence and body -- a very big sounding amp! Not a whole lot of very clean tho' this is a rock n roll amp!

Furilla

Odd Bird
I had one of these and it is a spectacular amp. The click tone was fairly subtle in my memory, but you should still be able to hear what it is doing.

What always struck me about this amp (w/ a 1x12 g12h30 cab) was the incredible amount of torque that it had. It just really jumped up and barked at the slightest provocation - very exciting and powerful feeling to play through. No shortage of good sounding high end!

Congratulations!

BelgPJ

in a word; GREAT!
in a few more words; strong, solid, big...

I do wonder what the 'click' tone is really doing tho -- I haven't used one before on any amp. At this point (very early in the game) it seems very subtle?
The high cut works beautifully -- never dulling the sound but just takes off or adds a bit of edge.
Great presence and body -- a very big sounding amp! Not a whole lot of very clean tho' this is a rock n roll amp!
I guess the click tone function will become more apparent when the throttle is opened up a little more

Sounds awsome so far - I particularly like the idea of flipping between either EL84 or 6v6 power sections. Enjoy the discovery process!

nolenuttt

Platinum Supporting Member
Got rid of mine a few years ago, and have really missed it-Congrats, it's a great amp-Very gig friendly, gigged with mine many times with just a single 12" cab, Celestion Blue-

FreedomsSound

Congrats! I've had mine for a few months now, and it's the best! It does all the small Fender/Gibson 6V6 Combo and EL84/VOX/1974x sounds in spades. I see the controls as situational, meaning that you only change the cut or click to accommodate the room your playing in. Then find your sweet spot with the volumes and It's a big amp sound in a small package, but it still can outdo so many other amps because of its straightforward design. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

soulmap

What always struck me about this amp (w/ a 1x12 g12h30 cab) was the incredible amount of torque that it had. It just really jumped up and barked at the slightest provocation - very exciting and powerful feeling to play through. No shortage of good sounding high end!
I have a hard time describing tone with words -- this is a great description, well put and thank you.

bobcs71

Congrats! I've had mine for a few months now, and it's the best! It does all the small Fender/Gibson 6V6 Combo and EL84/VOX/1974x sounds in spades. I see the controls as situational, meaning that you only change the cut or click to accommodate the room your playing in. I 4ind your sweet spot with the volumes and It's a big amp sound in a small package, but it still can outdo so many other amps because of its straightforward design. Enjoy!!!
That's in line with my experience. I liked the 6V6 side best...unless the other guitarist had a similar sound then I'd change to EL84s so we would sit better in the mix.
I'd mix the brighter volume to just where it broke up, then add the more mid-range volume to taste.

FreedomsSound

Also, don't be surprised if you start playing differently. It will strengthen your ear and "playing hand" dynamics. It's such a straightforward amp that the clarity is off the charts. I think this is why people shy away from this amp, because all your mistakes are heard. But when you conquer this, you end up sounded like you never thought you could.

The drive on this amp is different because of the pentodes. It's got this "torque" thing going on, like a decked out muscle car. If you have a lead foot then you'll always spin out, but if you have finesse then you can control the beast. Same thing here, heavy hands don't allow you to appreciate the dynamics of the amp. I keep the volumes between 12-2 and use an Archer to push it. The amp is good enough without pedals, and is very distinct compared to other amps. But obviously you need to push it to another level every now and again.

This amp is a great piece, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

soulmap

I mentioned UPS was a bit rough on this amp. Well, a few days go by and the amp becomes so noisy and ragged sounding that I can't play it.
Without a doubt shipping can be rough on a tube amp and this one, apparently, had a hellova trip. But read the story as it continues to unfold -- tubes are weird! and wonderful.
So I had a gig last night (and another tonight). I was still getting a little rattle, playing the Divided by 13 even after newly replaced NOS 5879s -- the noise happened always on the D note, third string, seventh fret, sometimes elsewhere, but always there and pronounced - troubling.
So I packed it up and all my tubes and headed to a friend's house. He's got 20 - 30 vintage Fenders, Marshalls, and clone builds. He's my amp guy; a six pack and parts and he keeps my amps running. ...sounds like a tube, he says. Between my tubes and his extensive library of tubes, we trade out every tube in the amp. The noise persists...exasperating...
maybe something was knocked loose -- no time to check right then and there. So I put all the original tubes back in -- including the original 5879s that had become so noisy as to be unplayable. and remember -- the new pair had fixed that problem. ...but now, when I fired the amp back up -- they weren't noisy...the little rattle is still there, but they seem to be working.
...weird.
I pack up, go home, set up in my living room...thinking I may need to play through my old Vibrolux this night. But...the Divided by 13...no noise. ...at all. ...with all the original tubes.
...uh...
I take it to the gig, (with back up tubes and the Vibrolux along for the ride). But -- no problem -- no noise -- sounds great!

I'm about to do it again; set up in my living room today, then take it to the gig tonight. I haven't called Fred. I might still, just to get his take on this. My amp guy can't explain it...maybe just pulling tubes in and out did something? Maybe a new amp 'settling in'? I tend to have a mystical approach to the electronics I use to make make music -- empirically unverifiable -- but it's beyond my understanding, so I believe in magic. :)
I don't know!
But the amp sounds great! -- the midichlorians, and thetans and fairies and gremlins and quarks all got quietly in line and delivered that glorious saturated tube sound.

JimGtr

The click only affects one of the channels, I think it's the cleaner one if that's the one right next to the click. It's just a bright cap selector, brighter or darker depending on which way your turn it.

soulmap

both Furilla and FreedomsSound used the word "torque" to describe this amp. An unusual word to use, but very accurate, I've found. I imagine it is like going into a corner with a powerful car -- give it just right amount of gas and it really digs in! There is a reactive power in this thing that I'm just starting to understand.
I played in a really great sounding room last night -- still hasn't given me a chance to completely open this amp up, but I could push and REALLY push for short stretches and...wow.
SO reactive! And ready to go! -- just everything I threw at it; from really quiet passages to big, room enveloping snarl -- yes!

and thanks y'all; for your contributions to this thread -- I could talk about this amp...well, waaaay more than my girlfriend wants to hear about it! :)

FreedomsSound

The Last thing I'll say about the JRT: Some complain about no EQ section. I've found that going between 6V6 & EL84 makes major changes. One Thicker with Low Mids and the other Brighter, Tighter, with more headroom. Obviously we all look at tubes being designated for and to specific genres or classic amp sounds, but with the JRT you have to think differently. You trying to get the amp to deliver the response or the dynamics we hear in our heads. It's helped me to stop thinking of VOX, Fender, & Gibson and think the sound I need for the situation: Bright or Dark, Edge of a breakup or no headroom at all. This is definitely evident when the amp volumes are past noon.

dbeeman

The Last thing I'll say about the JRT: Some complain about no EQ section. I've found that going between 6V6 & EL84 makes major changes. One Thicker with Low Mids and the other Brighter, Tighter, with more headroom. Obviously we all look at tubes being designated for and to specific genres or classic amp sounds, but with the JRT you have to think differently. You trying to get the amp to deliver the response or the dynamics we hear in our heads. It's helped me to stop thinking of VOX, Fender, & Gibson and think the sound I need for the situation: Bright or Dark, Edge of a breakup or no headroom at all. This is definitely evident when the amp volumes are past noon.
I find amps like this that do not have the classic tone stack tend to sound more open and organic

Trending Topics