*NAD* DR.Dan/Tramble VH1 Plexi**Clip 15**

Marioverkill

Silver Supporting Member
Dan Tramble is an amp builder from NS,Canada. He is one of the best early Marshall type amp builders. He was recently recommended by Dave Friedman on a Tone Talk episode. He has sold amps to members of 3 Days Grace,The Trews,Bryan Adams and George Lynch. Dan is one of the nicest guys you will ever deal with and his perfectionistic craftsmanship produces the best amp builds you will ever see in these type of amps.
I decided in the past year to build a VH1 inspired rig. This is a 100 Watt 1968/1969 type 1959 Super Lead Marshall build with the circuit being matched to what is believed to be in EVH's amp used in the early days. I like the sound from VH1 so this was the target.The transformers are a custom set of Mercury Magnetics with the Power Transformer supplying a lower B+ like an amp on a Variac running aout 90 Volts.The amp has a PPIMV. The cab is very similar to a Marshall 1936 loaded with 75 Watt Creambacks.
I've just had it for a day but this amp blows me away. It has all sonic character I was hoping to get out of it. The PPIMV is AMAZING ! I can get what I need even at whisper volumes, which I did not think would be possible. I will try it a louder volume in an hour or so. I'll update this thread with more thoughts and clips as I dial the rig in.

Ultra GP

HNAD :dude

Yeah, Dan does some amazing work - I've got a '68 build from him too, though it's the stock circuit with Merren OT and PT. The PPIMV is incredibly useful, even at super low volumes.

Not too different from this one, though he's using an attenuator here.

MadddogBob

Dan Tramble is an amp builder from NS,Canada. He is one of the best early Marshall type amp builders.

HNAD Mario, that is one of the best 68 Plexi builds $ can buy and I am envious.

I'll pop my GP cherry for Dan, incredible amp builder and wonderful human being.

A few years ago Dan built me a JTM45 w/PPIMV, switchable loop and push/pull bright switch. Incredible amp, not only does it sound and feel amazing, it's such a high-quality piece of gear and that really contributes to experiencing his amps.

Saying Dan is passionate about his amp builds is an understatement. He puts his heart and soul into every build, and you can bet your a$$ nothing leaves his bench until he's satisfied with everything. And if you want to talk amps you had better bring your A-game, he's a walking encyclopedia (bonus pts if you remember those).

Full disclosure I also live in Dartmouth, NS and have been to Dan's workshop so I'm biased. But once I flip that power switch all bias goes out the window. What an amazing experience.

Time for a Dr. Dan Superlead.

Again Mario, HNAD I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Marioverkill

Silver Supporting Member
HNAD Mario, that is one of the best 68 Plexi builds $ can buy and I am envious.

I'll pop my GP cherry for Dan, incredible amp builder and wonderful human being.

A few years ago Dan built me a JTM45 w/PPIMV, switchable loop and push/pull bright switch. Incredible amp, not only does it sound and feel amazing, it's such a high-quality piece of gear and that really contributes to experiencing his amps.

Saying Dan is passionate about his amp builds is an understatement. He puts his heart and soul into every build, and you can bet your a$$ nothing leaves his bench until he's satisfied with everything. And if you want to talk amps you had better bring your A-game, he's a walking encyclopedia (bonus pts if you remember those).

Full disclosure I also live in Dartmouth, NS and have been to Dan's workshop so I'm biased. But once I flip that power switch all bias goes out the window. What an amazing experience.

Time for a Dr. Dan Superlead.

Again Mario, HNAD I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
100 % maddogbob. Thanks.

Ultra GP

Absolutely. First time I spoke to him, we must have spent close to 30 minutes just talking about amps in general. Old Marshalls and their history, different circuits, etc.

I don’t think I have pictures of the ’68 build, but here’s the JTM 45/100 he did for me.

q9MDu92.jpg

He's not one that will assemble a kit with a few upgraded parts. He truly understands how the circuit works and can fine tune it for the sound you want. I don't think I asked for anything specific with mine, though I'm intrigued by Mario's amp now...

adamc214

Silver Supporting Member
Dan is one of the best. He built me a JTM 45/100 a few years back with Merren transformers, Mustard caps, and piher resistors. Just a wonderful sounding amp and so quiet.

He is putting together a JTM45 for me at the moment and I have been toying with ordering one of his Portland Reverb Princeton type circuits. One of the best guys in the business.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom