NAD: Dr. Z Prescription Jr. (updated after a month of use)

kiki_90291

Traded a Strat plus some cash for this last weekend. I've always been intrigued by Dr. Zs and figured it was a chance to check one out. 1 x 12 with a Greenback. I'm surprised how much I like the greenback in an open back, but I do need to play with it some more to dial out the mushy bass when I'm playing with dirt. I normally play a V30 with my TA15 and was expecting to miss the chimneyness, but the Z does really well on that front

It's loud as hell and incredibly heavy and the big red box is pretty flashy for an introvert like me, but so far so good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats !! I tried to get that too, but I didn't add cash...I just offered my DLX Strat. I love Z's and hope you enjoy it to the max. If you've got questions and aren't getting them answered here don't forget about the Z-Talk forum. Lots of nice folks with tons of useful info on Z's.

Have Fun.

kiki_90291

Thanks! So far 'm really liking it, but I'm very used to my Mesa, so I know I have some work to do to really figure it out and dial it in for my rig. I'd like to try it our with some other speakers, but not sure I want to go down that road and start obsessing :) And I might convert it to a head to break up the weight a little (it really is stupid heavy!) - the Dr. quoted my $400 for a head cab and a faceplate, though, which seems kind of steep - may have live with the weight.

Ryan

Even my 1x10 Carmen Ghia isn't a lightweight. Enjoy the RxJr, it's an interesting amp. Had one a while back, a Blue sounds good in it.

Thanks! So far 'm really liking it, but I'm very used to my Mesa, so I know I have some work to do to really figure it out and dial it in for my rig. I'd like to try it our with some other speakers, but not sure I want to go down that road and start obsessing :) And I might convert it to a head to break up the weight a little (it really is stupid heavy!) - the Dr. quoted my $400 for a head cab and a faceplate, though, which seems kind of steep - may have live with the weight.
On the buy and sale over on the ZTalk a guy has a small chassis Z head in black for 150 shipped and pp'd. As well you could get a old growth pine cab in a tung oil stain for around 250. Just pm me if you need a little help with that stuff. As far as speaker changes both my Z's ( Ghia & Monza ) responded well to different speakers and it helps you nail what you're looking for ... if you are already loving it but wish that.....ect...

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
One of the best, and most underrated amp in the lineup. Instant classic since it's not made anymore!

Loved mine!!!

kiki_90291

So it's been about a month now, with a bunch of practices and a couple of gigs. Still really liking this amp. What I'm finding particularly good about it is the the touch sensitivity I've never had an amp that can really hover that delicately between clean and crunchy just based on how hard I play. It's really making me play a lot differently (in a good way - I'm much more sensitive to my own dynamics).

I decided to convert it to a head, so it has been out of commission for the last week and I did a gig with my Mesa TA-15. It was quite a difference, though I have to say that the experience has led me to decide to hang on to my TA-15 - they are really different beasts and I like having the variety. The TA is much tighter and more precise than the Z, which I can only describe as spongier (despite the fact that it has really intense attack).

If I wasn't such a lazy bastard, I'd seriously consider gigging with both amps just to have the incredible variety of sounds that combination would offer. I may also play around a bit with stereo . . .

Trending Topics