NAD: Dr Z Z-Master 3x10 Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PerryR, Jul 7, 2019.

1. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

For 3K, I'd get two Fender Super Reverb Reissues with some money left over. Eminence Alessandro Alnicos in one an the EA ceramics in the other. NOS RCA's in one and NOS Tunsol's, GE's or long black plate Raytheon's in the other. all of which I have plenty of. That's just me though.

2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

How bout letting a guy have his New Amp thread without telling him how you would've spent his money eh?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    flantrax, DV52, waters and 3 others like this.
  3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Where do you play that you need two SR's?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    PerryR likes this.
  4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

This is a place where gear flipper hobbyists drive the topics. Lack of TGP threads doesn't equate to actual demand for products. TopHat is a good example - not a ton of talk but Brian sells a lot of amps. Saul Koll, may favorite builder, is another example. Not a huge topic here either... he builds more guitars than ever. Stopped taking new orders recently.

I believe Matchless is doing fairly well these days too.

mdog114 and big mike like this.
  5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Yeah flavor of the month around here makes a difference.

6. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Z makes some incredible stuff.
    Enjoy the amp.

PerryR and rawkguitarist like this.
  7. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

That’s good to hear. I played a DC30 for years and only sold it when I stopped gigging places big enough for it. It had a weird change of tone too I couldn’t explain well either. It worked fine but lost some of its magic, and hardened a bit. No one could tell me at the time that there was anything wrong with it. Sold it to a happy owner.

8. PerryR

PerryR Silver Supporting Member

I think it’s a great choice for a club amp! Lightweight, same size as my 1x12’s though the 3x10’s are a little less directional, awesome clean tones and not so potent that you can’t lean into it a bit in most clubs. Handwired for many many years of reliable performance, and inspiring to play... great gig amp!

9. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I too think it would make a killer club amp. Especially on a blues gig with just some nice tweed grit, going off the guitar's volume knob. Maybe an 808 out in front too. But if cranking it up to power tube distortion and playing Who tunes with it...maybe not. Application is important. In any case a really cool tweed. Congrats OP.

PerryR likes this.
  10. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

I really like mine set clean with at Lovepedal Tchula or Modern/Vintage pedal to punch it.

It’s pretty loud clean before it starts to break up. More so than another true Bandmaster amp I have.

Great from bedroom, living room, club to concert stage!

11. HonkyBach

HonkyBach Supporting Member

Has anyone compared one of these to the fender version yet? I'm in Canada so no way to try one out, but it would be nice to hear some comparisons to the fender since it's more accessible.

12. wreckmark

I've never seen a Fender Tweed Bandmaster.....vintage or reissue. However, I have a Clark Tyger (Tweed Bandmaster repro) and they are similar. The Clark sounds and feels "older", if that makes any since. It is older. It's a 2013 and my Z-Master is 3 months old. The Z has more headroom, more low end and more punch. The Z is also slightly lighter. Both great amps. Love this Bandmaster ride!!

13. PerryR

PerryR Silver Supporting Member

I bet thats a pretty good comparison, Dr Z uses a GZ34 vs the Original (and Tyger's) 5U4. Dr Z also uses a 12AX7 in the first stage vs 12AY7, and Dr Z tweaked the input to take advantage of the 12AX7 gain, tone and headroom so the Z-Master still delivers great cleans but with more gain on tap. These 2 changes alone would explain the increased headroom, punch and low end. Dr Z indicated that Joe Walsh wanted more headroom to better fit with his pedal boards and stage use. The bass response is Fantastic!

I know Z had a Fender re-issue that Joe asked to have Dr Z mod, and from there the idea of a ground up build came to life.

14. wreckmark

That pretty much nails it.

Wondering if you’ve tried the ZWreck through the ZMaster speakers? That has me curious.

Thoughts of a ZW head to run both amps though the ZM speakers with a head switcher! :D