• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD - early '70s NMV Ampeg V4

Axe_34

Silver Supporting Member
Picked this up over the weekend. It's as old as I am. (I'm 49). I've always loved amps that can fill a room like a Twin. I play a lot of doom/sludge/stoner rock and have been on the look out for something that can crush but still stay fairly clean and the V4 has been on my bucketlist for a long time. This certainly does that.

It may not be much to look at but the tone from this beast is otherworldy. Clean chords sustain longer than any amp I've owned before.

It's from the early '70s, before they added a master volume. The controls are lo/hi inputs, volume controls for each input, treble, middle, bass and reverb. It also has four rocker switches above the knobs. The first two are sensitivity controls for each input which you can set at 0dB, -6dB and -9dB. The third switch is an ultra hi control which adds presence. The fourth is a mid-range frequency control that can be set at 300 Hz, 800-1000 Hz or 2500-3000 Hz. It provides up to 20 dB of boost to the mid-range. All these combinations make it a really versatile amp. I can get all kinds of tones from it, from Twin-like mid-scooped cleans to low mid-pushed grind.

It came with a lot of old glass -- a mix of RCAs and Sylvanias in the preamp section and a new quad of JJ 7027s in the power section. The tubes are: 12DW7, 3 12AX7s, 12AU7, 6k11 and a 6CG7 for the reverb driver. The reverb isn't anything special.

The dude I bought it from posted in the ad that the volume was like the voice of god. lol He's not wrong. I'm running it through a Waza TAE but I did play it straight in to test it when I first got it home. I couldn't get the volume past 3. It's by far the loudest amp I've ever owned and I've owned 100-watt Marshalls and an ultralinear Twin before. It's such a full tone, it absolutely pummels you in the chest when playing at volume.

I'd read that these amps take pedals really well and this one does. Everything on my board sounds good through it, especially the Frost Giant Soma. I'm playing it through a well broken-in Marshall 1960a with stock speakers.

It has recently been serviced by a tech, including a cap job so it should be good for years to come.

I'm going to try recording some clips tomorrow.

And so I give you the world's most impractical basement amp, an amp so loud the chassis attaches to the cab with shock absorbers. lol

vwTAZcW.png

09q1zLw.png

2bTrAzV.jpg

I found the manual online and it even has settings for specific tones.

Ampeg_Manual_P6.jpg

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on your NAD! Try a BAT Pharaoh with the V4, I’ve never felt air pushed like that before! I had a V4 with a V4 4x12, funny, we are the same age and I play the same kinda music, lol. Plus I have a old ’71 Traynor YBA-1A, and a Marshall 1960b Cab, weird,lol.

Bob Arbogast

Gold Supporting Member
The reverb isn't anything special.
I owned a VT-22 years ago. If I remember it right, that back panel reverb "lock" and "unlock" lever needs to be pulled outward when it's in the "unlock" position to free up the tank mechanism. To lock the mechanism, you push the lever in, then turn it to the "lock" position. I thought I would mention that, in case you don't know. I hope I'm remembering that right. I sold the VT-22 in 1982.

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
Ahh - My first "big amp". I bought mine in used in 1980. It was just like yours. Great memories of that rig. The Ampeg 4x12 needed two guys to lift (and we were 16!). Good luck with the beast.

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
I have a same-year V-2 (with rare NOS 7027s!) and share your enthusiasm for this era of Ampegs and the fullness of the tone on the V-series even on a relatively low volume. Turned up to 3 or 4 sounds like God but literally shakes the foundations of my house. I ordinarily play on about 2½. I honestly think I might lose consciousness if it were dimed. And mine is substantially less powerful than yours!

Custom Deluxe

Love these. I had a V4 with matching Ampeg 4 X12 cab. Loud as all get out. One of the many I regret letting go.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Just Mike

Those were around when I first started playing in garage bands (mid-late 70's) and could be had for pretty cheap, like $250 for a V4 head. But you could also pick up used Plexi's for $300. I think I had a couple of them. One I remember had a distortion knob on it that sounded pretty bad. I remember I didn't like them very much but I got one kuz that's what Joe Perry played thru.

SoPhx

I think my early VT22, VT40, and GU12 are some of my favorite amps. I like a big fat clean tone 90% of the time and they deliver in spades.

Last edited:

Phila67

Picked this up over the weekend. It's as old as I am. (I'm 49). I've always loved amps that can fill a room like a Twin. I play a lot of doom/sludge/stoner rock and have been on the look out for something that can crush but still stay fairly clean and the V4 has been on my bucketlist for a long time. This certainly does that.

It may not be much to look at but the tone from this beast is otherworldy. Clean chords sustain longer than any amp I've owned before.

It's from the early '70s, before they added a master volume. The controls are lo/hi inputs, volume controls for each input, treble, middle, bass and reverb. It also has four rocker switches above the knobs. The first two are sensitivity controls for each input which you can set at 0dB, -6dB and -9dB. The third switch is an ultra hi control which adds presence. The fourth is a mid-range frequency control that can be set at 300 Hz, 800-1000 Hz or 2500-3000 Hz. It provides up to 20 dB of boost to the mid-range. All these combinations make it a really versatile amp. I can get all kinds of tones from it, from Twin-like mid-scooped cleans to low mid-pushed grind.

It came with a lot of old glass -- a mix of RCAs and Sylvanias in the preamp section and a new quad of JJ 7027s in the power section. The tubes are: 12DW7, 3 12AX7s, 12AU7, 6k11 and a 6CG7 for the reverb driver. The reverb isn't anything special.

The dude I bought it from posted in the ad that the volume was like the voice of god. lol He's not wrong. I'm running it through a Waza TAE but I did play it straight in to test it when I first got it home. I couldn't get the volume past 3. It's by far the loudest amp I've ever owned and I've owned 100-watt Marshalls and an ultralinear Twin before. It's such a full tone, it absolutely pummels you in the chest when playing at volume.

I'd read that these amps take pedals really well and this one does. Everything on my board sounds good through it, especially the Frost Giant Soma. I'm playing it through a well broken-in Marshall 1960a with stock speakers.

It has recently been serviced by a tech, including a cap job so it should be good for years to come.

I'm going to try recording some clips tomorrow.

And so I give you the world's most impractical basement amp, an amp so loud the chassis attaches to the cab with shock absorbers. lol

vwTAZcW.png

09q1zLw.png

2bTrAzV.jpg

I found the manual online and it even has settings for specific tones.

Ampeg_Manual_P6.jpg

"Marshall Rock Sound"?

Axe_34

Silver Supporting Member
Still loving this thing. It's my number one right now. Sorry I haven't recorded any clips yet. Super busy with work and cycling lately.

warplanegrey

Silver Supporting Member
Hey, I just gave one of these a tune up! Absolutely killer amp, but holy hell why is it so heavy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom