NAD: ENGL Blackmore

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by foodforthegods, May 6, 2016.

1. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

It's been a week since I got my new ENGL Blackmore and now I feel that I review it in an objective way.

First thing you notice is that it's a true 100 watts tube amp. It sound big and present. The red leds in the tubes make it even cooler in the dark. It has all you need 4 gain stages(i wouln't called them channels), effect loop, 2 masters, bright switch, contour switch, etc. It's built like a tank and doesn't look cheap.

The clean sound is the best I've heard on an high gain amp. It's a warm clean sound that reminds me of Marshalls. The only thing missing is a reverb and it would be perfect. It kills the cleans of my Diezel Einstein and the mesa mark v I use to have. The crunch is the meh mode...nothing really useful there so far...really need to push the gain but it's not my type of tone. The lo-gain lead is one of the surprise to me. You get the JCM 800 tone perfectly and even better and tighter. Gets from ac/dc crunch to guns n rosed tones. The high gain lead is tight and brutal no need to push the gain over 12 o clock. Tightest metal I've tried but the feel is great comparing to a mesa. I would say it feels like a 5150 but sound tighter. Injust did a shootout with my diezel einstein and the Diezel was not even close. The only thing it was better was noise... The engl is a little noisy in high gain mode but nothing crazier than a 5150 or a mesa.

Some of you might ask: The share eq is not a problem to me.

Highlights:
    great rock tones
    Sounds great a low volume
    Super tight brutal rythm tone
    Warm clean tones
    The

Lows:
    No reverb
    2nd channel
    Heavy

shanesiegle and mikeratan00 like this.
  2. sg~guy

sg~guy Member

-I'm a big ENGL fan-

-in my experience amps that are simple always sound the best, FIREBALL 100,.. amazing clean ,..beyond brutal gain-

- no need for any junk/pedals in the signal path, analog delay in the loop, great gate-(FIREBALL 100)-rock that biatch!!

3. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

I like mine too. The cleans are really quite special. I also find the crunch a little hard to use. It is too pristine for actual crunch and it does not take pedals very well either. I do find the loop a bit of a compromise. The amp always sounds better when I remove the pedals from the loop. I absolutely need delay to survive and would like the option of reverb. I will get a Fryette Powerstation to cover that deficit when they are re-released next month.