• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NAD: ENGL Fireball 25!

Guitarjon

I finally got my hands on an ENGL Fireball 25! I already own the Fireball 100 and Ironball amps and those are stellar! A lot of people asked me if I had tried the Fireball 25 and until now I had to say no.... But I finally got one and I am super excited to say the least! :)

I have a lot of small amps, most of them have EL84's in the power-sections, which is fine, I think they sound cool! It's a matter of headroom mostly and I'm mostly a studio player. Anyway, so then the MT15 came from PRS and that was one of the first mini-amps to feature 6L6 tubes in the power-section. This does give the amp more headroom and 'oomph'. I think the latter mostly has to do with headroom because in my experience the small EL84 can have more than enough low-end, it's just that they start to break up earlier than 6L6's for example. I do like the MT15 a lot though and I have to admit that it sounds quite 'big' for a 'small' amp...

Then the Fireball 25 came around and I got very excited because both the Fireball 100 and Ironball are excellent amps. I love that typical edgy ENGL tone, great cleans, clear crunch tones and crushing high-gain. I already was pretty sure that the Fireball 25 would deliver on all those fronts.

So I got the amp and I have to say it absolutely lives up to my expectations! The cleans are gorgeous although I do miss the bright-switch a little bit. It still sounds great without it though. Just like my other ENGLs, the clean channel can be pushed to a nice crunch, sounds great! Could be even better with a good boost. The Lead channel is where the magic happens! Plenty of gain and a lot of edgy (but not harsh!) presence and cut. Heavy but tight low-end and nicely balanced mids. It really does sound like a larger amp indeed! I still need to compare it directly to my FB100 and IB but I will do that soon enough...

Until then, here's a short demo/review-ish video of the amp. I think it sounded just perfect in the mix.... I'm blown away by the amp!:

Guitarjon

Update: still loving the amp! I'm currently working on a demo video that shows this amp off in more styles, so clean, crunch, rock, leads and heavy! Will report back soon with that demo. Perhaps that will be a little less one-sided. :)

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome! I just wanted to say that I love your channel, and it has inspired me to get a Dual Rectifier, haha.

I need to tinker with getting my Ownhammer IRs sounding as nice as yours (I'm using the Suhr Reactive Load IR).

Guitarjon

Awesome! I just wanted to say that I love your channel, and it has inspired me to get a Dual Rectifier, haha.

I need to tinker with getting my Ownhammer IRs sounding as nice as yours (I'm using the Suhr Reactive Load IR).
Awesome! Rectos are awesome! Which version did you get? All versions are great imho.

I've never tried the Suhr Reactive Load but I've heard good things. One thing to keep in mind (that's also the case with my Fractal Audio reactive load) is that you have to crank the level or output control to get the proper tonal response. The pots in the loads tend to really darken up the tone when they're turned down too low. My Fractal only starts to sound good when that control is up to about 2/3 o clock.

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome! Rectos are awesome! Which version did you get? All versions are great imho.

I've never tried the Suhr Reactive Load but I've heard good things. One thing to keep in mind (that's also the case with my Fractal Audio reactive load) is that you have to crank the level or output control to get the proper tonal response. The pots in the loads tend to really darken up the tone when they're turned down too low. My Fractal only starts to sound good when that control is up to about 2/3 o clock.
I got a good deal on a 2010 Multi-Watt in great condition. It has the original silver faceplate, and I really want to see if I can swap it out for a black one.

And yes, I need to tinker with the IRs a bit more. The times I have attempted to record, I have my amp's master at around noon. Currently;y however, I don't have any monitors, and am monitoring via headphones (Sennheiser HD280).

The Sennheiser HD280s are rated at 63 ohms. Based on another thread, it was mentioned that for best performance/sound, use headphones rated between 16-32 ohms. As such, now I'm considering getting a new set of headphones.

I'm considering the Audio Technica ATH-M50X, but they're rated at 38ohms, so maybe not the best choice? In any case, when we have a bit more space, I will get a proper set of monitors.

Guitarjon

I got a good deal on a 2010 Multi-Watt in great condition. It has the original silver faceplate, and I really want to see if I can swap it out for a black one.

And yes, I need to tinker with the IRs a bit more. The times I have attempted to record, I have my amp's master at around noon. Currently;y however, I don't have any monitors, and am monitoring via headphones (Sennheiser HD280).

The Sennheiser HD280s are rated at 63 ohms. Based on another thread, it was mentioned that for best performance/sound, use headphones rated between 16-32 ohms. As such, now I'm considering getting a new set of headphones.

I'm considering the Audio Technica ATH-M50X, but they're rated at 38ohms, so maybe not the best choice? In any case, when we have a bit more space, I will get a proper set of monitors.
Great! The multi-watt Rectos are very cool indeed! The previous owner of the one I have must have painted it black.

I don't know about the headphones but those IRs should sound very balanced. Which packs are you using if I may ask? Feel free to post or send me a clip. I would be happy to take a listen. And do try to set the level on the Suhr as high as you can. I'm pretty confident that it will make a difference!

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Great! The multi-watt Rectos are very cool indeed! The previous owner of the one I have must have painted it black.

I don't know about the headphones but those IRs should sound very balanced. Which packs are you using if I may ask? Feel free to post or send me a clip. I would be happy to take a listen. And do try to set the level on the Suhr as high as you can. I'm pretty confident that it will make a difference!
Awesome! I'm mostly using the Mesa cabs from the Heavy Hitters vol. 1 collection. I believe I was using the A1 picks (CUT + R121 for one guitar, and PROG for another). If I were to send you a clip, what would be the best way to do that?

Guitarjon

Awesome! I'm mostly using the Mesa cabs from the Heavy Hitters vol. 1 collection. I believe I was using the A1 picks (CUT + R121 for one guitar, and PROG for another). If I were to send you a clip, what would be the best way to do that?
Upload here or else via a private message?

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! How does it compare to the Ironball? I love that these amps have a speaker soak and defeat built in to them.

Guitarjon

Congrats! How does it compare to the Ironball? I love that these amps have a speaker soak and defeat built in to them.
Thanks! I haven't compared it to the Ironball yet but I imagine they sound similar. The low-end on the EL84 driven Ironball is HUGE so I don't expect that one to sound 'thinner' per say... Will do a comparison soon though!

That amp looks/sounds great! Any comparisons to a Victory Countess?
No Victory amps in my collection as of yet.... It would be cool to have one in here to use for videos. I'd probably go for the most high-gain amp they have and I believe that's the Kraken?

Trending Topics