NAD - Fender 57 Custom Champ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RYAN1987M, Jun 23, 2019.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

NAD - Fender 57 Custom Champ

I’ve had the Champ for about two weeks now and I’m absolutely thrilled with it!

I’m having a blast plugging straight into the Champ and think that it sounds fantastic. I’m still in the process of breaking in the speaker, but it sounds very nice already (and I’m sure it’ll only continue to sound better as time goes on). I really enjoy the clean tones with all of my Telecasters and it’s definitely fun to get natural drive by setting the amp to 6 or 7 (out of 12). The sound is fairly distorted at that point and it sounds incredible. It sounds fine dimed (very loud!) but I think it sounds better, and still plenty crunchy, when the Champ is set below 8 (out of 12).

The real surprise to me is how great the amp sounds at about 4 (out of 12) – the cleans really are inspiring. I don’t find the amp boxy-sounding in the least. In fact, when I’ve plugged in my pedals, I’ve not felt the need to engage reverb. And I think the natural EQ’ing of the amp is spot-on. I do have the amp raised off the ground, on a wooden end table, and have the open back of the cabinet about a foot away from a corner.

Perhaps shallowly, I was on the lookout for a small Fender amp covered in tweed. I was looking at the Fender Pro Junior IV and the Fender 57 Custom Champ. Although they’re nothing alike, I personally felt that the quality – both sound and build – of the Champ exceeded the Pro Jr enough to justify the cost of the Champ.

candid_x, fretless, Emigre and 12 others like this.
  2. RYAN1987M

3. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Mighty perty! Congrats.

RYAN1987M and vrdl87 like this.
  4. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

Looks like matches made in heaven! I've been tempted for one of these, great to hear you're liking it.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Had an original 59 tweed Champ that was my biggest regret in selling an amp.

Plug straight in - turn it up.

BTW, borrow a 61-62 SG reissue and try it in that amp. You will be blown away.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have a Fender 57 Custom Champ and it is one of the best sounding amps i’ve ever owned. The clean tones are sweet and full sounding, the break up is classic rock & roll. Put a Sennhiser e609 in front and you could play anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    RYAN1987M likes this.
  7. Andy The Candy

Andy The Candy Member

I have major GAS for a custom champ...your review & pics didn´t make it better...well done sir :)

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Member

I have this amp and love it. Every guitar sounds great and different through it unlike many amps. The cracked sound is beautiful and a tolerable volume unlike other larger tweeds. I was all set to get a tweed deluxe but preferred the champ for this reason.

I'm also loving it with a Diezel VH4 pedal with master and gain set light, everything else cranked. Surprisingly, even more full and awesome tones.

Matts Tone and RYAN1987M like this.
  9. RYAN1987M

Lucky me - NPBD + NASD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matts Tone, JK1965, flume and 3 others like this.
  10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Tele's and tweed Champs... don't get much better of a combination than that!

H. Mac and RYAN1987M like this.
  11. helrazr84

helrazr84 Member

12. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Awesome setup, Champ, Teles, and excellent pics! Very aesthetically pleasing.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I’ve been having fun with a 1960 Champ since the early 70s, and hope you have just as much fun with your new one!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  14. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Congrats. I've got a Goodsell Champton that I love. Perfect for home and small gig use.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  15. 12guitdown

12guitdown Supporting Member

That’s what I do with mine but a e906. Got mine last November and still am over the moon every time I play it. It just sounds so good and genuinely vintage when cranked. I keep the vol around 8, 6-7 with HBs, and ride the guitars vol. Sounds great with a scarab fuzz too. Spot on with the other reports here too.

Enjoy it!

Matts Tone and RYAN1987M like this.
  16. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Winning at life with this rig!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  17. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Yep. Gigged my tweed Champ more than a couple of times with just a pine Tele, a TTE, my Champ and an e609. Didn't need any in the monitors and it sounded amazing FoH. Sound guys loved it!

18. 12guitdown

12guitdown Supporting Member

19. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

This thread has given me Champ GAS...thanks for that! :)

Nice rig, OP.

20. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Ha funny you say that about all set about getting a tweed deluxe but went with the Champ instead, as I'm in the same position as was in a couple of weeks going to grab a deluxe but now thinking maybe have a Tweed champ would be a better fit & nice & compact to travel around with too but still can get a good volume out of!!

vrdl87 and RYAN1987M like this.