NAD: Fender '57 Twin Reissue - Low Powered Tweed Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bodhisattva, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

edit - i know tweeds rattle but holy hell - this thing really rattles? How normal is this and how do i troubleshoot before my return window closes? I would rather fix it than return it if possible. Obviously worse if the bass is up and i'm on the neck pickup at higher volume. But we aren't talking top volume. I cranked it in the store and it didn't sound like this. Maybe my wood floors are a factor.

Been on a tweed quest for awhile. I have a 57 Deluxe reissue and i love that tone but wanted some more clean headroom. Was in Carter Vintage today trying out Bassman RIs, Bandmaster RIs, A Real real 59 Bassman. All fun stuff, but i came home with a used LPTT reissue.

Love this amp, even at home, low-volume. i broke out every guitar i have and i'm so impressed at how this amp brings out the character of each instrument.

Seems like one of those amps that will make you play better 1) cause you want to keep on playing as it's easy on the ears and 2) because it's pretty clean and you can pay attention to each note. Really nice to have a good solid tone to play and not tweak and chase. Sounds just fantastic with a Les Paul and a Tele. I want to play my brother's strat through it soon.

Love this amp with a little delay. The loud clean with some delay made me come up with some Police-type riffs. A nice creative platform.

Now i'll have to go on that quest to find the perfect overdrive/distortion pedal to get some grit at lower volumes. The quest never ends. Cheers to the brothers in Tweed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    spencer096, jhuse, Smashies and 8 others like this.
  2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Nice score!
    That’s been on my to-build list for a while now.

Bodhisattva likes this.
  3. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

What speakers did that one come with?

4. dcbc

dcbc Member

Great amp! Congrats. Try a y-cable into both channels. Heavenly sound.

jhuse and Bodhisattva like this.
  5. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Comes with Fender Special Design Alnicos. Made by Eminence.

I have one also.

6. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

yep - looks like Weber design, Eminence manufacture

[​IMG]

QRSS and Kmaz like this.
  7. Swami Asango

Swami Asango Member

happy new Amp day !

:aok

Bodhisattva likes this.
  8. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Thanks man. Plugging away at Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash. This thing is simplicity at it's finest.

9. Swami Asango

Swami Asango Member

I liked your description that the amp brings out the character from each guitar.

isn't a loadbox a good idea, to enjoy the natural breakup from the amp at home ?

to me amp placement in the room is key to enjoy it without any pedals.
    half empty room, high ceiling, wooden floor, amp in the corner gives some natural reverb.

I am really eyeing these twins now, low and high powered, after so much praise for
    them on TGP.
    I had a deluxe, a champ, a Bassman and a Pro, they were very fine amps each of them.

there is nothing like a new creativity platform aka amp.

happy plugging !

:beer

Bodhisattva likes this.
  10. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Yeah i wouldn't mind knocking it down a notch or two to get that saturation. Any recommendations on a loadbox for this one? I have a Swart Nighlight for my 5E3 but i think it tops out at 30 watts.

This amp sounds beautiful clean(ish) - but i was doing Bell Bottom Blues a bit ago and turned it up some for a little grit - it certainly doesn't shake the walls but i don't want to annoy the neighbors just yet. It's a real nice overdrive Gonna play with some friends on Sunday and we'll see what kind of looks i get when i try to turn it up in a band context. Right now i'm keeping the Bright Channel volume around 6 or 7 and use the guitar volume from there. I supposed i'll have to attenuate or find the right pedal to add grit without coloring the character of the amp too much. I love how the amp isn't too dark and isn't too bright. You can use the treble without the sharp highs.

I'd definitely check it out if i were you. I imagine it's not for everyone, I grew up on 70s hard rock and 80s metal and I'm kinda burnt on buzzy distortion where all the notes just blend into one thing so i'm happy exploring cleanish/low gain. I don't have a strat right now, but I think if you're a tele or les paul guy you'd love this amp. It does all the things my 5E3 did but let's me be a little bolder and cleaner.

Now to find the right pedal, attenuator, neck pickup for the r8 to be perfectly airy through this amp ;) it never ends

11. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I had one of those for years. It's the one amp I (sometimes) regret selling. Some of those LPTTs came with 12AX7s in every slot. I liked mine better with (old) 12AY7s where originally specified in the 50s. This gives a later breakup. Really nice amps. I still have the '57 Deluxe.

Happy NAD. Enjoy it! :beer

Drifting '59 and Bodhisattva like this.
  12. DV52

DV52 Member

Enjoy NAD !!
    I had a 57 Bandmaster RI for a few years that was fantastic.

I used a Plimsole and an EP Boost . ( I still use those with the Badger18 Combo)

Bodhisattva likes this.
  13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

About the rattle...

Take it back and play it again in the store with your guitar. If it doesn’t rattle in the store, it must be something about your room. Have you tried it on a rug? You do need to turn the Bass control down as you turn the volume up, especially with humbuckers.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Bodhisattva likes this.
  14. Drifting '59

Drifting '59 Member

Great score on LPTT! I've had one for a couple of years and love it. I agree with putting original 12AY7's in per original spec to tame a bit.
    I use an original Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrive with a Holy Grail reverb, great tone with this set up.
    Enjoy!

Bodhisattva and eigentone like this.
  15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Cool amp.

Bodhisattva likes this.
  16. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Yeah they are basically Ted Weber 12A150A light Dope at 25w watts pre speaker

TAWeber and QRSS like this.
  17. jhuse

jhuse Member

I built a 5e8 this summer. Awesome amp. They sound terrific at low volume too, and really handle pedals well.

One thing that surprised me is how clean this amp is. You have to really crank it to distort it. That said, the cleans always have this underlying grit that just cuts and bites - so cool!

I put Weber Legacies for speakers in mine. I’m not a Jensen guy, so this works for me.

I also have been looking for the perfect drive pedal. After playing a bunch, I keep coming back to the Keeley Red Dirt, which almost imparts a 5e3 distortion to it. Really good.

TAWeber, eigentone and Bodhisattva like this.
  18. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

and the cleans are fun. I've never been much of an ambient player but i'm having a blast adding layers of reverb and delay.
    I also like how plucky , best i can come up with, the notes are with a tele or les paul. Makes you want to dig in and play some old school 50s stuff. Kinda like already having a compressor on but not as squashed. I think this is an ideal amp to force yourself to improve your playing. Because the cleans make you want to keep playing and you don't hide behind an overly saturated signal. You develop different nuances.
    Anyway, cool stuff, i'l check out the Keeley

I'm not much of a pedal guy but i remember the Honey Bee or Honey Beest being really popular here many years ago, I'd kinda like to try one of those or a zen drive. Never really had a "clean pedal platform" amp before.

eigentone likes this.
  19. jhuse

jhuse Member

I like to describe the cleans as "muscular." There's just a lot of power under the hood, and you can hear it. With the right pedal, I think this amp can cover almost any style of music. I think it's that body that makes this pair with drive pedals well.

Bodhisattva likes this.
  20. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

rattle? tube dampers may help