NAD Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by flume, Mar 15, 2019.

1. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Been hunting for clean warm 6v6 tones in a small combo for some time.

Sometimes the answer is hiding in plain sight. Zip up to Chuck Levin's where a full range of Fender is always on hand. I had the Chris Stapleton on my radar and gave it a quick spin. Definitely has its own voice going on but was not for me. Mostly due to earlier breakup than I wanted.

Lots of assumptions got thrown out the window. I had a Deluxe on my radar too. Thought I needed the 12" speaker and more watts. Wrong. Thought a 10" wouldnt have enough low end. Wrong. Thought I couldnt dial in P90s to get my balanced warm sound. Wrong.

All these assumptions kept me away from Fenders for years. What I learned is that for me - and my touch - which is probably a lot lighter than most - is to not look at the numbers. Stop listening with my eyes as Pete Cage once advised. The settings that sound great for me on Fenders don't look like what I dial in on my Matchless amps. Then things made sense.

It was a close call between the 65 but the 68 won me over. Exactly the right size I wanted and the looks take me right back to the early 70s when these where ubiquitous. And just what is a drip edge anyway? Having lots of fun with the Edge Strat. Lesson learned: it doesnt have to be obscure to be good!
    [​IMG]

2. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations and nice score.

flume likes this.
  3. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I own the CS Brown Princeton. The 12 is great, but my 10" Ragin Cajun in my Pro Jr. also sounds great, not boxy, especially with a touch of reverb. Love your SFP, drip. Enjoy. I own an early SFDR, so the Princeton Reverb is not on my list yet, but a great piece to own. I would get the 10" also.

4. scott58

scott58 Member

Nice amp. Congrats!

5. flume

According to the accompanying info with the amp, the circuit has been updated to be better with pedals and other enhancements. Pretty vague claim, but I can testify that I am finding my sound in here much more than in models from years of yore.

Another sign of a winner to me is when every guitar sounds like itself through the amp. This does mean revisiting the settings from a clean slate which is something to factor in. This Custom Classic Tele sounds terrific with it, but the settings differ from the Edge Strat - maybe stating the obvious - but to a Fender newbie like me, its a fun discovery:
    [​IMG]

Gridlock and e??? like this.
  6. e???

e??? Member

Those things have such sweet low volume cleans. Love them with p90's and strats, congrats!

CRAIG4FSU, Gridlock and flume like this.
  7. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Congrats on your NAD. You're actually talking about the 68 Custom model, right? The 65 PR model is the only reissued Princeton by Fender.

Yeah... I am being THAT guy! LOL

8. flume

No - please BE THAT guy! I wanted to get the name right and it is not consistent. This came up at with the staff at Chuck's. I think it is the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb as the full correct name. I a/b'd it with the 65 Princeton - which had a different speaker and seemed just a touch darker - but otherwise identical with reverb and trem - same controls, right? Do you mean "only reissued Princeton" as it hews to strict original design? If I have that right it would make sense that mine is a new "Custom" designation -given the claims of an improved design, which in fact worked great for me. Hit me with your nomenclature clarification!

FenderBigot likes this.
  9. FenderBigot

In both appearance and tonality... The goal of the 65 PRRI, DRRI, SRRI and TRRI models was to get them as close in sound to their namesake. The 68 Custom lineup had the drip-edge appearance but have a "custom" tonestack and early breakup on the volume knobs by design (reduced negative feedback). They really look like an RI, but they sound a bit different. :aok

flume likes this.
  10. flume

So - is that to say that breakup could be reversed? Undo it by increasing negative feedback? While I hesitate to muck around, if I can make a good thing better, I'll at least consider it.

11. 53ROCKETS

53ROCKETS Member

Been hunting high and low for info on the CS from someone who's actually played it. Can i ask how much cleaner it was compared to the Custom you bought? I used to own one and got rid of it, and now i'm falling in love with the 6g2 circuit but don't want the potential hassle of a vintage amp. Any info on the +/- of the CS would be appreciated.

flume likes this.
  12. flume

In all honesty I walked in the store convinced that the Stapleton Princeton was coming home with me. From the online demos and other preconceived notions, I was sure of it. I was prepared and aware of the price so that wasn't a barrier. Then I plugged into one. And this is not a knock on the amp - just a confirmation it wasn't a fit for me.

It has a totally different goal than what I needed. Significant amount of mids whereas the 68 Custom Princeton is more scooped. I thought the opposite would be true just on the basis of a 12" spkr vs 10". Wrong. I was surprised how early the CS broke up too..and it was certainly instant Stones tones all the way, but again, not what I needed. I think it's meant for those who ride the guitar volume knob constantly and exploit the touch sensitivity of the amp to color in shades of grit or clean. If you do that, it could be great but again - I don't swing that way so it was clear I needed to look at other offerings. Very happy where I landed.
    And this Lead II agrees with me.
    [​IMG]

Gridlock likes this.
  13. FenderBigot

I think it’s as simple as changing a resistor value... but I am not a tech. :dunno

14. flume

found some info about that on an old Tele Forum thread....seems like a silly rabbit hole to get lost in...perhaps a speaker swap someday...but leaving it as is probably is the wiser move. Or at least just unplug the internal speaker and run out to one of the 1x12 cabs I have each has a different Warehouse speaker chosen for little to no breakup.

15. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Basically, the '68 Custom SF is NOT a SF reissue, it is a customized amp based on the BF reissue amp, with some circuit tweaks. They used the SF cosmetics to differentiate it from the BF Reissue amps. This has caused some confusion in the marketplace.
    Al

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  16. flume

The whole Fender experience has been an education for me. Fun too. This amp purchase was certainly eye opening and rewarding.

17. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Those really are great amps. A Princeton w/ the volume on 3 is an incredibly good sounding amp that won't blow out your eardrums. Takes pedals well, really great chameleon w/ pedals. And, like you said, the perfect size for a combo. My setup was a bunch of pedals and a Princeton for along dang time. Enjoy it dude!

flume likes this.
  18. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely love my '68 Custom. After a while I ended with a gold alnico and a gold pin tube kit in mine. It's on the "never selling" list.

[​IMG]

retro, flume and FenderBigot like this.
  19. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have the 68 Princeton Custom and chose it over the 65 ri . The reasons for me was
    1) I already have a drri and didnt really want a mid scooped amp, I wanted something warmer with a bit more bottom end.

2) I wanted something lightweight that was a good grab n go amp and the 68 custom fit that bill

3) I prefered its tone to the 65 because to my ears the 68 had more warmth and better lower end(albeit less sparkle)

4) maximum head room wasnt important and it sounded great at low volumes and it does take pedals well.

The quality of this amp is just as good as my drri made in the USA. I have had it for 3 years and the only thing I have done is retube it.

flume likes this.
  20. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Congrats, I love the entire series of ‘68 Custom Fender amps.

I’ve owned both a vintage ‘66 BFPR (Jensen C10N) and a stock ‘68 Custom PR that I got in a multi-gear trade. Both were great-warm sounding amps.

Both amps sounded at low-mid level volumes. I found that the ‘68 Custom broke up too quick when jamming with a drummer and with my Les Paul. If I would have kept ‘68 CPR I would have done a speaker swap to get more headroom. Maybe with Weber’s version of a Jensen C10N.

I found that a Tubescreamer is my favorite OD pedal with all my Fender amps and I always use input 2 to keep th volume down a bit and run the volume knob higher. Works for me.

Congrats again and enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    flume likes this.