NAD: Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neils, May 8, 2016.

1. neils

neils Supporting Member

So its been 24 hours, everything could change but for now I like it. The amp had been on my radar sorta. My brother found a good deal on one a few months ago and among all the other amps he has there is/was a place for it. We'd talked about it so I knew its warts. I knew it wasn't a "real" blackface sound, its a little courser and breaks up sooner. I knew the reverb could hiss. I know there are kits out there to add headroom and alter tone and stop the hiss. My eyes were open.

So this was at one of two local to me GC's for the same price everyone sells a used one. It 's 100% stock and in very good shape. I played an American Strat through it at GC for nearly an hour. I was in an amp room so I had the amp on 6 and the guitar at several volumes. It makes the sounds I want. Not too BF and certainly not Tweed. Is it Brown? Dunno, never played one.

My other amps are an Emery SuperBaby. Excellent amp. Not for headroom but what it does it does very very well. I usually have it tubed with a KT66/5751/GZ34 combo onto a large 1x12 with a Reaper.

My other amp is a Speed Shop 5E3. LOVE that amp. For SC and P90's I love it the best. With HB's, Dr V's in this case I use input 2 often to keep some headroom. That amp has some sweet spots I love but at a jam it become just too distorted. But I knew that going into it. Super never sell amp.

I wanted an amp that offered more headroom. This fit the bill and budget. Turns out I like 2x10's very very much. Wow, amazing bass. The amp breaks up earlier than a BF and I like that. It stays together better than the Tweed, I like that.

It has all Groovetubes/Sovteks in it. I had some TS 5881 RI's I dropped in. I like those. Other than a JAN 12AT7 I put in the PI it's all stock.

I get to try it for 45 days and then return it if I want . I like that. So I'm playing it and doing what we all do, research tubes and speakers etc. GAS.

I know this amp has lovers and haters. I like that too. Got ideas for mods like speaker and tubes? Throw them my way. If nothing else this amp opened my eyes to 2x10 combos.

Neil

2. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

A CVR was my main amp for about 5 years. In my opinion it's one of the best designs Fender has produced since the 60's. The ONLY downside is the slight hiss but that's only an issue if you record quiet solo guitar. It's got the spank and sparkle of a blackface and the fat breakup of a tweed. It also has the right amount of headroom for a wide variety of gigs and the best trem I know of. No mods necessary. Have fun!

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've heard those amps sound very good, despite their reputation. Reliability ? not sure, they do have probs sometimes but not sure it's worse than most RI's types.

4. e???

e??? Member

Great sounding amp, just a little noisy, which drives some people nuts I guess. But a great tone regardless.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Great gig amps... The noisy factor can't be heard in a band setting. I miss mine, a lot. I scored one for only $550. I played it stock for about a year and then I did the Fromel mod to it and kept it another year. I stupidly sold it and missed it immediately. The Fromek modded CVR was killer IMHO.

The amp gets a ton of flack mostly from forum FUD, but I dig them. I play a VVRI now, but I see myself possibly adding one again someday.