NAD: Fender CVR

TylerRex790

I just swapped a second PRRI for a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. It's the early version with the blue framed alnicos. I read some less than stellar reviews, but it's actually exactly what I was looking for (or a good stand in until I can get a Vibro King.) It breaks up right around the same volume as my PRRI (which has an Eminence Canis Major in it for more volume) but has a really big low end that balances out the cut of the highs/high-mids heavy Princeton Reverb. Also, it does hum with the reverb cranked, but it really hums no worse than any other amp I've played through. I just know they have somewhat of a bad rap, and am so impressed with mine that I thought I'd give em some good publicity. It isn't a blackface Fender, but wasn't intended to be. It's much meaner... and this thing is really what I've been looking for.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Happy NAD. I liked mine even with the hiss. It had its own cool thing going on tone wise. In a band setting the hiss wasn't even noticeable IMHO.

I did the Fromel mod to mine and it was killer. I am still pissed that I sold that amp. I may buy another someday, but only if I can score a steal like I did on my first one ($550).

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Congrats! If you really like the CVR as it is of course don't do a thing to it, but if not there are some mods that are supposed to take it to the next level and actually reverse it back to being a Vibroverb which you may want to look into. Either way, HNAD!

TylerRex790

Happy NAD. I liked mine even with the hiss. It had its own cool thing going on tone wise. In a band setting the hiss wasn't even noticeable IMHO.

I did the Fromel mod to mine and it was killer. I am still pissed that I sold that amp. I may buy another someday, but only if I can score a steal like I did on my first one ($550).
That's a good thing about liking unpopular amps... They're easier to find deals on...

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
The CVR is one that has always been on my list, because it's a modified BROWNFACE circuit... but I have never found one locally to plug into, in all these years.... I didn't realize the early ones came with the blue frame alnicos.... so that's something to consider when I do finally get one (used, at this point, since they've been discontinued).

I also haven't seen the 68CVR locally- only the 68PRRI and 68DRRI. Has anyone PLAYED both the CVR and 68CVR and can compare/contrast the tone differences? For example, the 68CVR has more headroom, yes? Due to "reduced NFB"? Are the celestions any good? etc.....

TylerRex790

The CVR is one that has always been on my list, because it's a modified BROWNFACE circuit... but I have never found one locally to plug into, in all these years.... I didn't realize the early ones came with the blue frame alnicos.... so that's something to consider when I do finally get one (used, at this point, since they've been discontinued).

I also haven't seen the 68CVR locally- only the 68PRRI and 68DRRI. Has anyone PLAYED both the CVR and 68CVR and can compare/contrast the tone differences? For example, the 68CVR has more headroom, yes? Due to "reduced NFB"? Are the celestions any good? etc.....
Well, the CVR actually has no negative feedback loop while the 68' CVR has reduced negative feedback. They break up around the same spot. The CVR is 40 watts where the 68' CVR is 35. The 68' CVR is much more classic Fender in it's tone shape. The CVR has a slight mid push. The blue frame alnico Jensens in the CVR have a much more familiar feel with a Fender amp where the sharp & snappy response of the Celestions seem like an update.

All in all, to me, the CVR seems like a hot rodded vintage amp where the 68' CVR seems like modern take on a classic. Which I recon is what they are...

Last edited:

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that, Tyler. The CVR sounds like it's more up my alley....

I'm surprised no one on YT has done a side-by-side yet... I've seen side-by-sides of the 65 vs 68 PRRI, and 65 vs 68 DRRI, but not of the CVRs...

No457 Snowy

Congrats, I like the CVR a lot, very touch sensitive/responsive/expressive and feel really good under the fingers, great club/bar gigging amp, especially for Bluesy/Rootsy styles where a bit of fur in the cleans is nice. Very much like a little brother to the Vibro-King.

Trending Topics