NAD: Fender Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mesa, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Mesa

Mesa Member

Today my dad picked up this little gem. If you want a great sounding little tube practice amp for a great price I think this is the amp. 15 watt tube amp, 16 voice settings for channel 2 plus the effects selection. Channel 1 starts to break up around 4 on the volume knob and has a nice tube driven crunch. Overall we are impressed with this amp. Great bang for the buck!

[​IMG]

2. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

How is the quality and depth of the digital reverb on this? I've been looking for a while at a Princeton reissue or a DRRI but the price on the X2 is the only one of the three I can truly afford.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

3. jiminmidwest

jiminmidwest Member

I agree with the OP, the SCX2 has a lot of nice tones. I'm looking to upgrade my Roland Cube 30 with a smallish practice amp that I can also use to jam with friends, so I tried the Vox VTRX40+, Fender SCXD combo and the Fender SCX2 combo.

While more expensive, the Fender SCX2 had more depth to the tone and incredible sustain, as compared to the VTRX40+. The clean channel was classic Fender and the amp models on channel 2 were surprisingly good for a hybrid amp (got a decent, by my standards, dirty Blackface and Marshall tones). I found there was ample reverb on tap (I don't use a lot so I kept it on 3).

Out of the combo (SCX2), I thought the bottom end was a little muddy, but I plan on getting the head with cabinet (12 inch speaker vs 10 in combo).
    Wish there were separate tone controls for both clean / od channels and a pedal that could switch between the OD channel voices. But all in all, I thought it was a good value for the price.

Haven't tried the Fuse software, but for the price that is icing on the cake to me.

4. Lock

Lock Member

I find the reverb on the earlier SCXD to be good. Lots of depth and a few different options. I usually leave it on spring all the time and maybe 2 on the dial.

These are great little amps and having one stops me from buying a PRRI or DRRI since they're about 95% of the way there. I use the clean channel most of the time and the marshall 8 channel and that's about it. Upgrading the speaker made a big difference for me-it is definitely the weak point-but it made a few of the models worse.

5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Great around the house amp in the $200 used range.

6. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Ive had one for about 5 or 6 years now. I replaced the speaker with a Eminence Ragin Cajun. Added about 10 extra pounds to the amp! LOL! Sounds a lot better with this speaker.