NAD Fender Supersonic 22 short review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otter5555, Apr 14, 2015.

1. otter5555

otter5555 Member

[​IMG]

the ss22 has been on my bucket list for a while but I waited because of all the QC issues reported on line.

since it's been out several years now I hoped that Fender had fixed the most reported problems.

NOPE.

mine is brand new out of the box from zzounds.

1. the reverb is totally unuseable. any setting over 2 on either channel results in horrible feedback.

the good news is......i never use reverb for anything. but paying $1000 for an amp, i'd like the option.

2. the popping channel switching. mine pops loudly BUT, only going from the od channel into the clean channel.

it does not pop going clean to od.

i can deal with that because i own a couple of mesas and they pop really badly. (mesa says thats not a problem)

3. the clean channel hiss's pretty loudly. the od channel is silent, even with max gain. figure that one out :)

4. the volume pots on both channels go from silent to "too loud" in an instant but i deal with that daily and have come to expect that.

now for the good:

the clean channel (both modes) sounds VERY good.
    the clean channel takes all my od/dist pedals very well.

the od channel sounds VERY good. it has zero problems (using my les paul with paf's) doing 80's hair band and satch/via type stuff.

i'm running my ms50g in the loop for delays and it sounds really good

soooooooooooooo,

nope. i'm not sending it back

warts and all it is a really nice sounding amp on both channels.

i'm not touching the speaker utill i get 50-60 hrs on it and it wont take long to do that. likewise for the tubes.

the amp looks really nice, sounds really nice and is a little lighter than any of my other low wattage amps.

i've only played my les paul through it so i have no idea what other guitars will sound like.

it is amazing to me that fender still ships these amps with known issues after all these years of production. that speaks volumes about the company.

tried to get a photo to show but it doesnt seem to work here

2. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I so wanted to love this amp. Bought it, took it home and it just did not sound like it did at the store. I think it was not what I was expecting. I returned it.

Good luck with it! Sounds like you found what you were looking for. Congrats!

3. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Last week I saw a brand new SuperSonic at GC and noticed the handle strap was broken...

I wanted to inspect it closer and noticed there was NO metal band running through the strap... it's just plain rubber. Holy damn!

If this strap broke on a brand new floor model, I wonder how long they last on average.

So... let's hope your amp doesn't go crashing to the ground while loading in the truck at the end of a gig...

4. batfish

batfish Member

fwiw, I had one of these and it didn't have the popping issue and the floor noise was no worse than other amps I've had. Reverb Worked perfectly from what I could tell, though I don't use reverb either, so I wasn't using it a lot. It was the head version, though I doubt that makes any difference. Just FYI, in case you want to try for an exchange.

5. stevel

stevel Member

Tubes?

I mean, I'd take it back because of the reverb feedback issue alone.

The volume knob thing is typical of every Fender I've ever played - goes from silent to good and loud with a mere squeak of the knob.

But tubes - can take care of clean channel hiss, verb issue, and popping potentially.

I've had issues with stock Fender tubes and have done enough swaps to find out in some amps, it doesn't matter, in others, they like crappier tubes in some positions, and others benefit a lot from better tubes in all positions.

So there may be hope for the amp yet...

6. otter5555

otter5555 Member

i've got several boxes of tubes. i just want to play it a while as is before even thinking about changing anything. the amp sounds great as is. i have no intention of sending it back....it sounds THAT good :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. otter5555

otter5555 Member

the reverb has stopped feeding back on it's own. i seldom use reverb but it is working as it should now.

the pop when channel switching has quit also.

i already liked the sounds of both channels but found a steal ($59.00) on a used eminence cannabis rex on ebay.

installed it and WOW! quite an improvement to an already good sounding amp.

the od channel is tighter and the clean channel is also. the CR has a permanent home :)

8. joeprs

joeprs Member

I bought mine, 11/11/11, easy date to remember.
    I brought it in for warranty repair to fix the popping noise and have had no problems. I find the gain channel very usable, although I use a pedal or two for a different flavor, sometimes stacking on the gain channel.
    I love the cleans. The reverb is typical Fender reverb, no complaints. I'm glad to hear yours is working better. I love the portability, it's definitely a grab and go amp!
    I need to try a Cannabis Rex speaker sometime.
    Enjoy.

9. otter5555

otter5555 Member

i sometimes run a suhr riot and a bogner ubershall into my clean for different flavors of dirt even though i really like that thick od channel by itself.

10. otter5555

otter5555 Member

i shipped the ss22 back today.

a few days ago the volume on both channels started dropping by a large amount after 15-20 minutes of playing.

people like to bad mouth bugera amps quality control but i am really disappointed in fenders quality control.

11. joeprs

joeprs Member

This stuff happens. As I mentioned earlier, I got my SS22 Nov 2011. It had the popping noise when switching channels. I took it to the Fender repairman who replaced the resistor, or whatever it was with the factory recommended upgrade and I haven't looked back. My only complaint is I don't play the amp enough.

I bought a Humboldt Blues Junior and it had a strange noise right out of the box. If I owned the amp for a while and then it did this, I would have started pulling tubes, etc. I didn't feel I should have to bother with this with a brand new amp, so I contacted Pro Guitar Shop, explained what the amp was doing, what I tried, plugging into an external speaker, putting pressure on the back of the amp did quiet it down, etc., and they sent me a return label. I asked them to play the replacement before shipping to make sure it was okay. I got the replacement amp and it is perfect. My nephew had bought one at the same time and has had no problems. Pro Guitar Shop also sent me a t-shirt and a set of strings (my choice) for the hassle. They will get my business again.

I think you should have sent the amp back right away. You would have already received the replacement and probably be much happier. Yes, it's a hassle and it sucks, but it is what it is. It can happen with any new electronic device.

I think the SS22 is a good amp for a reasonable price. There are better and worse and there are more expensive and less expensive, but if you like the sound and are comfortable with the price, then it's a good deal for you, doesn't matter what anybody thinks, as long as you're satisfied. This is MHO for what it's worth.

12. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Just got one of these used but in mint condition. I have a beige head from late 2014. No issues at all and a really great amp. All modes and features, including the footswitchable effects loop work great. I've been playing higher gain hi wattage amps from Mesa and Marshall lately, so it's been a real treat playing through the SS22. No problems with the 22 watts having enough volume. At the volume I play, there is a bit of hair on the clean channel which is ideal for me. It's nice to get the thicker tone with the power tubes being pushed on the lead channel. I can get a variety of really nice dirt tones with the dual pre-gain knobs that I can't get on my Mesa MkV or Roadster. So this amp is a definite keeper.

If you've had bad luck getting one with issues, I would say to keep looking for one without problems because this amp is worth it. I had considered buying a Tone King Imperial, and possibly having to sell my MkV in order to afford it, but this amp satisfies all my Fender cravings, clean and overdriven, and it was definitely cheap enough that I didn't have to sell my Mesas and Marshalls.

13. 1GoldTop

1GoldTop Supporting Member

I had a surf green ss22. It was a good amp . Popping on channel switching.
    I called Fender told them that I had bought it used. A few hours later customer service called back, gave me a repair address and ticket #! One week later. Home safe and sound no more noise. Wish I still had it.