NAD: Fender Vibro-Champ XD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratoben127, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I've been looking for a small amp for a while so I went into my local Sam Ash for strings today and came out with this. It was on closeout for $150! The actual amplifier section is a loud all tube 5 watts with a 6v6 and it also has a not-so-bad DSP effects section that I use only for reverb. Most of the 16 amp voicings suck but the 3 that I like, I like a lot. Not bad for $150 at all if I do say so myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hobbster01

hobbster01 Member

Good little amps. Wish I still had mine.

3. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

Nice amp. I am going to GC tomorrow and hope to find one of these still available new. Congrtats on a new amp. Enjoy it. Russ

4. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Holy crap. I just played through this thing for about an hour and even at bedroom volume it's amazing. I just wrote a song based on the tone I got out of this amp. Now that's saying something. I might have to pick up another.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Right on. I have a Vibro Champ that I put a couple better tubes in and managed to cram a 10" Weber in there as well. Really like it. I'm a clean player so rather than using the 5W to crank it, I mostly use mine to play Blackface and Tweed-ish tones at very low volumes.

I'd like to get a Super Champ XD as well... and try to stuff a 12" speaker in it.

Think I'll try to record a couple clips to see if I can use studio trickery and see how big I can make it sound.

HNAD!

6. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I've been playing mostly low volume, slightly dirty clean stuf on it too. Love it. How is it with the 10" speaker in there?

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

The 10" definitely make it sound like a bigger amp, but I don't know how it works for 'cranked' type tones. I tend to play on channels 1, 4 or 7, roll the volume on the guitar down just a pinch them turn the amp up as loud as it will go before it starts to sound ratty.

I already had the speaker on hand... not sure I'd go too far out of my way to buy a new speaker for it. I just used a Weber Sig 10S. If I were going to spend more than $50 on a speaker, I'd probably just get the Super Champ. I didn't get this amp to gig with though... just for low volume Fender tones.