NAD: Friedman along w/ Atlanta rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drneely, Jan 16, 2015.

1. drneely

drneely Member

So here's the rig I am currently enjoying. The big WDW rack rig is back home due to space, but I get back to play it often. I have some update plans for that rig in the future.

The Friedman Smallbox showed up today. Initial impression after a few hours tonight is that it's like having an amazing plexi with the best MV ever and my BE100 (with a tweak that I prefer)...all in one amp. The masters work incredibly well on both channels and it sounds great bedroom to cranked.

The pedalboard is the XTS build and thanks to Barry's genius I run it either stereo w/ everything in front (Two Rock & Quinn)......or into the front end of the Friedman with the time based units in the loop (great loop on this thing).

Easy switching around with the Flexiface interface, Barry is ze man. It can also run mono, w/d, and w/d/w so it's the "end all be all" as far as I am concerned. Somehow it's all dead quiet and works with all the amp config/combos I've thrown at it. Plenty of XTS love on the board as well.

Few of the guitars in the shot, but most are in a different room. Couple of Danocasters and my fav 335. I need to grab a family shot soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing I'm wanting now is a good vertical/diagonal 2x12 to throw a scumback M75 and V30 into. I can't find a Marshall 2061cx unloaded anywhere. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

2. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Ficking sweet

Friedman makes a killer amp!

Play in good health

3. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Congrats!
    In addition to the Friedmans being the best sounding current production Marshall variants out there, the MV is what really impresses me. I don't know what kind of magic it takes to do that but I feel and wish it would be the standard for all amp manufacturers. If Friedman shared that design freely he would go down in history! :)

4. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'd look for a Reinhardt vertical 2x12.. i have one and it's awesome. I wish Bogner made one, my Bogner OS 2x12 is built like a frickin' tank. Maybe check out Swanson? Hopefully I'll be getting a Smallbox soon.

5. drneely

drneely Member

I believe Bogner's website says they make their 2x12 in a vertical. I have never seen one though. I'll check into the Reinhardt... I appreciate the note. I have also been told to check into Mojotone and Stagecraft.

6. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Check out Sourmash, also.

7. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Cool! WDW (or even DW) rules tone-wise!

As for the Friedman master volume, all I know is, it's NOT a PPIMV (Dave said he hates those)!

8. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

9. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Nice setup. Congrats on the new amp!

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Man...you have one sweet amp harem!

(Is that a Classic Reverb TR head?)

Anyways...I played the SmallBox 50 at Dan's Guitars around Christmastime...and was blown away by both channels and the MV!!!

Big Congrats!!!

S.
    j

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

Great set up!

Just imagine if the channel switching could be integrated into that footswitch....the ease of setup (which already looks tight!) would be even easier, and tidier!

12. Bogner Amps

Bogner Amps Member

drneely, the model for the Bogner 2x12 you mentioned above is 212CBV. The horizontal version is pictured on the website, same cab just where the feet/handle are.

13. drneely

drneely Member

Thanks guys!

That is a Classic Reverb for the Two Rock in the photo.

The top right button on the looper is actually a Bypass switch for all of the loops. I never use it so I am thinking I will see if Barry at XTS can add a jack to the looper box and make that top right button the channel switch.

Was also considering moving over to a midi floor loop switcher and throwing a Big Sky and a Mobius on the board in place of the lex, ola, and fulltone units. Another route would be to make the same pedal changes and throw a couple of mini effect gizmos under the top row and put a midi controller on.

No rush on these since I'm completely blown away by the tones I'm currently getting. If it ain't broke....

14. rastaman

rastaman Member

Cool! I didn't know Bogner had a vertical. That's awesome!

That is one killer rig you got there drneely!

15. drneely

drneely Member

thanks!

Another thing I am taking away from this amp is a complete new love for the Cornish NG-2 that is on the board. I have always played it with the 6L6 clean amps in the pic, which is a great sound on its own, but the NG-2 into the plexi channel is something I am blown away with.