NAD: Friedman JJ Junior - Clip

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
Have to say, most surprising thing is this does not have the sonic footprint of a 20 watt amp at all. Makes me really curious what the 100 watt sounds like. I like all 3 sounds in the amp and find the feel to be really comfortable.

I brought this to practice the other night and had the volumes at 9 o’clock into a 4x12. PLENTY of headroom. And my drummer is not a light hitter.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
Have to say, most surprising thing is this does not have the sonic footprint of a 20 watt amp at all. Makes me really curious what the 100 watt sounds like. I like all 3 sounds in the amp and find the feel to be really comfortable.

I brought this to practice the other night and had the volumes at 9 o’clock into a 4x12. PLENTY of headroom. And my drummer is not a light hitter.

best demo of this amp on the web —AND ur choices were great for me as i play a few of those songs too - gonna listen again later with headphones and simultaneously play my Runt 20.
my runt w my analogman Ge7 in the loop gets close but this JJ Jr demo confirms the gain structure is in fact quite different and more aggressive

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Excellent demo! I got a killer deal on JJ Jr from the emporium and am loving it. Right now I'm keeping it in JBE mode with the gain an noon for more crunchy tones that work great with big chords. When I want a much more saturated metal sound, I boost it with a TS style pedal (in this case an EQD Plumes) with the grain off and level cranked. This way, I get two distinct gain sounds, which word great for me.

I will also state that the amp is stupidly loud; it's hard not to go above 9 o'clock on the master without staring to rattle the walls.

Also, random question: when using the foot switch, does engaging the clean channel turn the light on on the switch itself? I was under the impression that the light would be on for the gain channel, not the clean channel.

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds great, man! ...BTW, I replied to your post on another forum about the JJ100. Hit me up if you wanna chat!

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds really kickazz, i dig it!

Hows the master volume on that honestly?, my buddy had one really enjoyed the tone when he owned it but sent it back due to the Master volume not being that friendly for home use?. I have owned a Pink Taco and a Dirty Shirley and thought the Masters were pretty good but he said his JJ was just to loud and went overboard (for home use) and not usable...

?

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member

Hows the master volume on that honestly?, my buddy had one really enjoyed the tone when he owned it but sent it back due to the Master volume not being that friendly for home use?. I have owned a Pink Taco and a Dirty Shirley and thought the Masters were pretty good but he said his JJ was just to loud and went overboard (for home use) and not usable...

?
The master volume is super sensitive. I can start shaking the walls at 9 o’clock.

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member

?
The MV is definitely touchy- you have to make micro adjustments. BUT that’s different from saying it does not sound good at low volumes. It sounds great anywhere, but the taper gets very loud very fast. Not a big deal and I wouldn’t not buy it because of that

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent demo! I got a killer deal on JJ Jr from the emporium and am loving it. Right now I'm keeping it in JBE mode with the gain an noon for more crunchy tones that work great with big chords. When I want a much more saturated metal sound, I boost it with a TS style pedal (in this case an EQD Plumes) with the grain off and level cranked. This way, I get two distinct gain sounds, which word great for me.

I will also state that the amp is stupidly loud; it's hard not to go above 9 o'clock on the master without staring to rattle the walls.

Also, random question: when using the foot switch, does engaging the clean channel turn the light on on the switch itself? I was under the impression that the light would be on for the gain channel, not the clean channel.
I wouldn’t know because guitar center sent me some aftermarket rinky dink footswitch with a 6 ft attached cord.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
I also picked up a head about a month ago and it met or even exceeded my very high expectations based on all the rave reviews and positive feedback about it. I can say to anyone: if you're strongly thinking about it but on the fence for some reason (as I was for a while), go for it -- you won't be sorry!

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
I also picked up a head about a month ago and it met or even exceeded my very high expectations based on all the rave reviews and positive feedback about it. I can say to anyone: if you're strongly thinking about it but on the fence for some reason (as I was for a while), go for it -- you won't be sorry!
Good to hear, enjoy the amp - BTW hows the master volume on your JJ?

This is making me pause on buying one

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Good to hear, enjoy the amp - BTW hows the master volume on your JJ?

This is making me pause on buying one
I honestly haven’t assessed it so carefully because while I wasn’t blasting it by any means, I have it in a basement room where I can play at a reasonable volume. It was WAY less loud (aka more controllable) than the Mezzabarba Skill 30W amp I tried at the same time, but it’s still got plenty of volume for 20W. But I didn’t carefully assess the taper so I don’t want you to just take my word for it. It obviously also depends on what cab/speaker you’re using it with. I’m waiting on a new 2x12 with the Celestion Heritage 20W Greenbacks (I believe the same as the EVH model?) which are only 96db and should make it very usable at a variety of volume settings.

Trending Topics