NAD: Fryette Deliverance 120 II

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
This is one I’ve been pretty stoked about getting for quite some time.

I’ve only spent the afternoon with it so far, but I’m into it. The interaction of the preamp voicing and gain controls is interesting, and really helps dial in the nature of the distortion, and being able to shift into “more” gives you such a wide range of tones from a beautiful, responsive low-mid gain feel all the way to chest pummeling rock crusher.

I’m admittedly a lover of high gain tones, and this amp had me smiling all afternoon. It’s a different feel and voicing than any of my other amps, which is what I was really hoping for. I really dig these amp designers like Steve Fryette, Alan Phillips, etc, who go out of their way to create their own voice.

Where my Carol-Ann has this massive, clear low-end and high-mid grind, the Deliverance feels like it shifts the mid-focus a lot lower, and hits like an absolute hammer at volume through my Uberkab. The feel and response are nothing short of spectacular. I LOVE this amp - it’s such a great compliment to my other high gainers and gives me something uniquely different to add to the group.

Kudos to Fryette for knocking this one out of the park - this amp is inspiring.

Last edited:

TaronKeim

Silver Supporting Member
had an og deliverance 60 + i miss it daily, sold it and its matching 2x12 to help put myself through school

killer rig! congrats! loved it through a friends ubercab too - definitely find that added to the low-mid voicing versus the deliverance cab which had a little more throat + kerrang

|tjk

tonedover

This Is Fine.
hows the master volume taper for lower volume use?

i have the synergy deliverance module designed by fryette.

high gain, amazing. lower gain, amazing, medium gain - still figuring out how to dial out some of the "fuzz" as the note decays,

the phrase "dry gain tone" finalky makes sense to me. its the most unique distortion tone ive ever heard and its so good. note definition is amazing even with both gains dimed

enjoy your awesome NAD!

I’ve only spent the afternoon with it so far, but I’m into it. The interaction of the preamp voicing and gain controls is interesting, and really helps dial in the nature of the distortion, and being able to shift into “more” gives you such a wide range of tones from a beautiful, responsive low-mid gain feel all the way to chest pummeling rock crusher.

I’m admittedly a lover of high gain tones, and this amp had me smiling all afternoon. It’s a different feel and voicing than any of my other amps, which is what I was really hoping for. I really dig these amp designers like Steve Fryette, Alan Phillips, etc, who go out of their way to create their own voice.

Where my Carol-Ann has this massive, clear low-end and high-mid grind, the Deliverance feels like it shifts the mid-focus a lot lower, and hits like an absolute hammer at volume through my Uberkab. The feel and response are nothing short of spectacular. I LOVE this amp - it’s such a great compliment to my other high gainers and gives me something uniquely different to add to the group.

Very curious – between this and a Carol-Ann, which would you say tends more toward the fluid, creamy, rich thing, and which is more on the barky, grainy, raw-edged side?

Jonathan

hows the master volume taper for lower volume use?

i have the synergy deliverance module designed by fryette.

high gain, amazing. lower gain, amazing, medium gain - still figuring out how to dial out some of the "fuzz" as the note decays,

the phrase "dry gain tone" finalky makes sense to me. its the most unique distortion tone ive ever heard and its so good. note definition is amazing even with both gains dimed

enjoy your awesome NAD!
Thanks!

I’m not sure on the master taper yet - I went straight to noon with it which is quite LOUD. I kicked in the PS2 after that and dropped the volume from there. I’ll spend some time off the PS2 this weekend and get you a better answer.

Jonathan

Very curious – between this and a Carol-Ann, which would you say tends more toward the fluid, creamy, rich thing, and which is more on the barky, grainy, raw-edged side?
The CA I’m comparing it with is the Triptik II, which is probably Alan’s most aggressive amp voicing. I’ll probably have a better idea after spending this weekend with it, because I admittedly tend to set both these amps at that point where they are still uncompressed and raw as I can with the gain up.

Both amps are very responsive to their preamp voicing. The Deliverance has the dual-gain settings, with the first gain being more open / uncompressed at lower settings, and getting progressively thicker as you turn it up. The presence control had a significant impact on the feel and voicing too. The Carol-Ann has the input-gain dials for both the clean and gain channels, which also really changes the feel / aggressiveness of the amp.

For lead lines, both of them can get very fluid / rich. The Triptik has that really present upper-mid thing going on which probably makes it seem more raw, but neither of these amps are going to be mistaken for something Dumble-ish. I’ll spend some more time with both this weekend specifically going for the sound your describing and get a better answer. I admittedly tend to voice for the more “barky, grainy” side of things, so I’ll spend some more time exploring the “creamy, rich” side. :)

Jonathan

Hard to imagine anything better than version I.
One thing I really like about this amp is that it has a single-channel type of design, but the the "less / more" is footswitchable (along with the bright switch), so you have that option of treating it just like a single channel, or using that functionality to jump between the two gain levels. I totally dig the design approach here.

Jonathan

had an og deliverance 60 + i miss it daily, sold it and its matching 2x12 to help put myself through school

killer rig! congrats! loved it through a friends ubercab too - definitely find that added to the low-mid voicing versus the deliverance cab which had a little more throat + kerrang

|tjk
I mixed V30s with Greenbacks in my Uberkab - which upped the kerrang factor significantly. ;)

dsmc80

Welcome to one of the best sonic experiences ever. :aok

dsmc80

I can speak to both of these (and still have the Fryette). The Fryette is going to give you the bulldozing raw thing. The CA is much more of the compressed fluid thing.

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
I can speak to both of these (and still have the Fryette). The Fryette is going to give you the bulldozing raw thing. The CA is much more of the compressed fluid thing.
That seems a fair description. Both are fantastic. I also kept the Deliverance over the CA. I have nothing but single channel amps now.

Jonathan

That seems a fair description. Both are fantastic. I also kept the Deliverance over the CA. I have nothing but single channel amps now.
Which CAs were you comparing? I'm curious, because if my amps were having a "war of aggression," I'm not sure I would consider the Deliverance more raw than the Trip 2.

Definitely different though - but the CA is more snarling / in your face with the mids, while the Deliverance has more of that low-mid thonk that gives it a lot of "weight." I guess the best way I could put it is one amp screams while the other growls, but both come across as very aggressive / heavy if you're setting them up that way.

Both amps have the low-end of the Gods - clear, articulate, house-shaking lows.

Last edited:

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think of aggressive and raw as being the same. How does one describe the difference between two high gain amps?

Jonathan

I don't think of aggressive and raw as being the same. How does one describe the difference between two high gain amps?
I think the only way one really describes the differences is with clips. ;) Need to get to work on that one.

Jonathan

I had a series 1, and a D 60, I preferred the 60, the 120 was too much for me. I would be careful with your cab, it is a 100w cab with the greenies in it.
I think I’ll mostly be running this through the PS2 (which is max 50W) - as it is LOUD with the PS2 up pretty high and the Deliverance master at around noonish.

However, I know Steve voiced these for his Fane F70 loaded cabs - which has me thinking I would like to see what that’s all about. I’ve never been wowed by clips of the Fanes compared to Celestions, but my curiosity is definitely getting to me here.

amphog

I think I’ll mostly be running this through the PS2 (which is max 50W) - as it is LOUD with the PS2 up pretty high and the Deliverance master at around noonish.

However, I know Steve voiced these for his Fane F70 loaded cabs - which has me thinking I would like to see what that’s all about. I’ve never been wowed by clips of the Fanes compared to Celestions, but my curiosity is definitely getting to me here.
I used my D120 with a Mesa 4x12 halfback , loaded with EV's.