NAD-Fryette Power Station

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratzrus, Jan 17, 2015.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I just took delivery on a Fryette Power Station and my initial impressions are quite positive.

One of the reasons I bought it was to use with my Rivera Knucklehead Reverb. It's a great amp with a fantastic clean channel but the gain channels don't sound great with the master volumes below 3 and 3 is way too loud for apartment playing. Below 3 the mids sound somewhat congested and the highs are attenuated.

Enter the Power Station. First thing I noticed is this thing is built like a tank. It feels industrial strength coming out of the box. Secondly, it was a snap to set up. Two minutes reading the manual and I had it fully wired three minutes later.

I hooked it up to the Rivera and my Deliverance 4x12 stack with the Rivera's master volumes on 5 and both of the Power Station's voicing options set on "Flat" and slowly turned up the volume on the Power Station. The resulting tones were the best gain tones I've ever heard come from the KHR. Both gain channels opened up substantially and had more detail than I'd ever heard come from that amp. For its use with the Rivera alone it was well worth the purchase price.

I plan to try it with my Sig:X, Fender combos, Quilter MicroPro, and even the Axe FX. This thing has so many potential uses.

Clearly I'm still in the honeymoon phase since I've only had it for little over an hour, but my immediate impression is that this is one stellar piece of kit.

Steven Fryette has done it again with a unique product that delivers the goods big time. Congrats and thanks Mr. F for a job very well done.

:aok

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Congrats, I sooo want one!

3. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Congrats! Thanks for the mini review! I'm really looking forward to hearing more reviews on the PS. It seems like it's a piece of gear that can do a lot of different things that would make it well worth the price of admission. Now it's just a matter of getting up the price of admission!

4. stratzrus

One of the things I'm really happy about is that unlike a lot of other gear that I want, the PS doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

How often do you have the opportunity to buy a quality amp/attenuator from one of the best builders out there for less than $1K. The price really made it a practical option for me.

5. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

No doubt! It's definitely a bargain!

6. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I got mine yesterday as well. Ran a D120 with gain 1,2, and master set at 2:00. Normally these setting could be heard in the next county. I was able to attenuate down to apartment levels as well and everything sounded and felt great.

My initial impressions are very favorable, and I don't forsee that changing.

Also, what fun it was to run a delay post power amp gain. Much better than running a delay into the front of the D. I may even forgo the effects loop on my Sig:X.

7. stratzrus

You've got a D120 and a Sig:X? That's my dream team! :aok

I was always concerned that I couldn't get the most out of a D120 due to volume limitations since I live in an apartment but with the Power Station it's now a possibility.

8. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Thanks for the reviews guys!

9. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I got to get one of these.

How much can you alter the tone ?
    I am more interested in that than transparency.

10. stratzrus

I haven't tried the tone switches yet but I expect them to work like they do on the Sig:X but with different voicing. I'm still playing the second channel of the Rivera (comparable to the Rhythm channel on the Sig) with everything set flat. Just digging the tone and having such a good time I haven't felt the need to switch yet.

As I try more options I'll report back.

11. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

The D120 has a good master but this makes it a whole different animal.

The switches seemed subtle, but effective. Really, they seem to change the character of the attack more than anything, but honestly I didn't explore them too deeply and I was attenuating enough to speak over my playing, so they may be more obvious at volume.

The depth and presence knobs feel very much like they do on the D120, and with similar range. It was nice rolling off the low end on the D120. And then adding a bit back in from the power station was nice.

12. stratzrus

I just spent some time playing with the switches. Before reading your post I was wondering if I would describe them as "subtle" but the tonal alteration is clearly audible; it's just not an extreme alteration by any means. All of the positions seemed useful depending on the guitar you're using, the volume, and the type of music you're playing. Not a bad tone no matter what the setting but some will get you to the tone you want more than others at a given volume with a given guitar.

I do hear the effect on the attack.

With a Strat going into the Clean channel of the Rivera at TV volume I found I really like the top switch set to flat and the bottom switch set to Deep with Presence around noon and Depth at 2:00. That's some sweet tone there.

With a Les Paul or 335, or going for crunch or high gain tones, I'd probably go with different settings.

13. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

So how's the transparency?

14. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Somebody compare it to the unleash. I have one that I like a lot and am curious how different the addition of the tube amp and the Fryette version of the reactive load are.

15. stratzrus

I haven't tested it for transparency and don't have any experience with the Unleash. I can say with certainty that there's no tone suck.

16. pedrozepelim

pedrozepelim Member

How dpes it compares with the Rivera Rockcrusher?

17. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

This is what I really want to know too...

18. JiMB

JiMB Member

Congrats!
    Really looks like a great piece of gear.

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing your first impressions.

Interested to see how you feel after a few weeks of use.

20. stratzrus

I don't know, have never used one. From posts I've read, some love the Rockcrusher, others not so much.

Yep.

I'm guessing that I'll be even happier with it after using it in some additional ways with different amps. I haven't tried using it to boost a low powered amp yet. I want to see how it works with my Deluxe Reverb and also how it sounds with the Ethos Overdrive. I love the bluesy sound of a Deluxe Reverb on 7. I'll finally be able to play at that setting at home whenever I want.

I love that this thing can boost or attenuate depending on your needs. I could see using it with every amp I own in various applications, particularly when playing in my home studio.