NAD Fryette Sig X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brianr0131, Mar 2, 2012.

1. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I just picked this up WED. Damn, this is one incredible amp. It's my 3rd Fryette and I think my favorite so far. I even like it better than my old 100CLX which is a $3500 head nowadays. :eek: This amp is more versatile.

3 channels each with a boost and effects loop can be used as a volume boost. The texture and tone toggles on each channel are really effective at reshaping the tones you have coming out of the amp.

I will be using this amp for covers and I feel confidently that for my money it's the most versatile all tube amp that I can afford. It's pretty huge though.....29.25" wide.

From Fender type cleans to Hot Rodded Marshall tones up to Rectum Fryer stuff if you're into that sort of thing......and everything in between.

Anyone else have one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JD_A

JD_A Member

I haven't had a chance to play the Sig X, but use to own a 50 ST and thought it was a good amp. The Sig X appears to be a great amp, but I don't care for the huge size. Too bad they don''t offer it in a smaller chasis/box.

Enjoy the amp!

3. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Congrats!
    I had one for a while.
    Absolutely wonderful amp, one of my favs.

4. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Congrats. Never tried one, but I have heard great things about them. They seem like a bargain considering all of the features!

5. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

It is very big....but other than a little height (and the extra height is good for heat dissipation I bet) ....there's no wasted space there....not much they can do about the size

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I agree....still a lot of loot for most of us, but the feature set is virtually unmatched

7. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

My favorite amp - I have 4 or em :D I've been using them live since they came out, tho I record with a D120 and a SIG X. Versatile, but tho it has a lot of switches and knobs, I find it's very "set and forget".

I could go on for AWHILE about how much I love that amp, but I'll just say happy NAD! :aok

8. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Question......any way to get the "boost" on clean channel not such a big volume jump? That's the only issue I have really. It's really a LOT louder than with it off....kinda rendering it useless.

Also....how the hell do they get the footswitch to "remember" what boost setting each channel had? That freaked me out.

9. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

About the clean boost, ya know, I don't know, I never use it :D

The footswitch took me a bit to grok, but it's awesome. I just run a delay pedal in a rack drawer now, and assign it to the lead channel, and boom. All set. No need to switch the pedal on and off, the loop activates automatically with the lead channel. It's brilliant.

10. igloo0213

igloo0213 Member

I just picked up a Sig X a few weeks ago and so far, it's one of the best amps I've ever played! I'm still trying to get to know how everything works, but finding a bad setting is actually difficult with this amp!

11. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Every day I wish that either......

a. My wife knew about the Sig X in my basement....or

b. she would go out

I want to play loudly!

12. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Congratulations ....
    One of my favorite amps....
    The boost on the clean makes a lot more sense at drum set volumes. Hit the boost and use the guitar volume to get some vintage amp cranked type sounds. At lower volumes I just use it off or on depending on the sound I want... not switching.

13. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Fryette builds some of the best amps around. Tons of versatility with the Sig X too.

14. muddy

muddy Member

yeah, the power section needs to be fairly crankin' & compressin' for the clean ch's boost to make sense, & then it KILLS! it puts you into bloomfield/albert king-land when engaged. it's ALSO great for hittin' an lower-gained od at pretty much all volumes.

i've got a new set of pentalab kt88-sc's in mine, & they are bloody AMAZING sounding. they're really heavy in the hand (little taller, too, so thank god for the cab's height)), & the construction is like a tank. i'm gettin' bloomfield & bonamassa tones outta the amp with these (they're an avg dist set). they compress beautifully, without engulfing notes; it's almost like playin' through an old la-2a/la-3a (somewhere in between), where you get incredible bloom with articulate stang! they REALLY bring the 3rd ch into focus, too.

not that there aren't some other amps i really want, but gettin' rid of my siggie is inconceivable to me at this point. enjoy...

ml

15. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

How are ya liking the Sig:X?

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

ditto all that:
    sig-x and deliverance 120 are my all-time most favoriter amps to play.
    i also very much love my modded pittbull45.

17. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

this seems to be an amp that people totally love or hate. There isn't much in-between. I mentioned it on another thread and guys said it had no low end and another said he found no usable tones. I cant find one to play, but the clips sound pretty good. (for what that's worth)
    I owned a Ultra lead years ago, and played a lot of pitbulls which were great....kinda got the sense that a lot of the original VHT guys didn't gel with this amp.
    The jury is still out for me, but glad you like it.

18. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Really loving it. I can truly get just about any sound with it.

on a sad note I sold my Pittbull 45 tonight (15 min ago) to pay for it and I honestly feel a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I needed to pay for the Sig X though and the Sig X is better for me anyway.

Still a little sad :(

19. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

that's pretty funny!
    yeah, it's not as much deeeeeep low-end as the d120, but..... somebody's trippin', there,
    or they've simply got a duff amp.
    or a single 1x8" cab.
    or no ears.

¿say what?

20. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Agreed......totally

Still miss my PB45 :cry: