• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NAD: Goodsell Enhanced 5F2 - 2x8

stephenT

Goodsell Enhanced 5F2 2x8 (WGS G8C). vintage NOS Tung-Sol 6550 power tube putting out 17watts clean w/ fixed bias w/ a 0B3 gas voltage regulator and a 12ax7. It's been fun watching this amp go from an idea, to percolation, to this beautiful tube amp. When Richard mention the idea a few months back and described the type of tube and his concept,.. I was all in, put me down for the first unit.

I picked the amp up Thursday and played a gig last night, what fun. Full bodied sound (not scooped, kinda Hi-fi), 3D w/ the two 8s, smooth overdrive when pushed into the 7-8 volume range, just perfect. I took my guitar and no pedals, straight in. Got compliments from the audience, a fellow guitar player remarked how wonderful the amp sounded at low volumes too.

I really dig the look and the size, 25lbs all in, lovely lacquered tweed and big-ass leather handle. Richard's been doing these cool, "enhanced" versions of tweed style amps that just rock.

I've been talking to WGS about an 8" alnico to mate w/ the G8C (ceramic), might be fun but she sounds fabulous as she sits.

Richard has a live facebook video talking about the build for serious amp freaks, can't link but it's on his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/GoodsellAmps/

The usual disclaimer: Richard is a friend and since playing my first Goodsell 10-11 years ago that's all I've owned.

Last edited:

Nonvintage

I'd love to hear this amp. I live in Woodstock GA. Where are you playing? Any time soon? We haven't met but I'm friends with Larry Griffith and Kyle Smith.

jjboogie

Supporting Member
Goodsell Enhanced 5F2 2x8 (WGS G8C). vintage NOS Tung-Sol 6550 power tube putting out 17watts clean w/ fixed bias w/ a 0B3 gas voltage regulator and a 12ax7. It's been fun watching this amp go from an idea, to percolation, to this beautiful tube amp. When Richard mention the idea a few months back and described the type of tube and his concept,.. I was all in, put me down for the first unit.

I picked the amp up Thursday and played a gig last night, what fun. Full bodied sound (not scooped, kinda Hi-fi), 3D w/ the two 8s, smooth overdrive when pushed into the 7-8 volume range, just perfect. I took my guitar and no pedals, straight in. Got compliments from the audience, a fellow guitar player remarked how wonderful the amp sounded at low volumes too.

I really dig the look and the size, 25lbs all in, lovely lacquered tweed and big-ass leather handle. Richard's been doing these cool, "enhanced" versions of tweed style amps that just rock.

I've been talking to WGS about an 8" alnico to mate w/ the G8C (ceramic), might be fun but she sounds fabulous as she sits.

Richard has a live facebook video talking about the build for serious amp freaks, can't link but it's on his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/GoodsellAmps/

The usual disclaimer: Richard is a friend and since playing my first Goodsell 10-11 years ago that's all I've owned.

Oh wow!!! I was just thinking last night how I’d love to have another Goodsell flavor. This just might be the ticket.

So where does it start to break up? At the 7-8 range or a little earlier? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing!

stephenT

Starts to break up around 8, very smooth and warm break up.

My Goodsell Enhanced 5f2 gig report:

"Boy, that's an adult amp. Two knobs, no reverb or tremolo. All guitar. (old Maxon analog delay sounded very nice thru the amp) Class A single ended is a different beast from A/B push/pull tube amps. In the "brown sound" category,.. it will bark, big dynamic range, warm, kinda hifi (not bright, full) in a very pleasing way, smooth overdrive when cranked (i was cranked). The 2x8s have a unique voice and there's something about that 5f2 tweed size pine cabinet that's special. I thought it fit great in the mix, sounds different on a stand than on the floor. The speakers could use a couple more nights to break in, that was it's first full gig. Big fun."

Oh wow!!! I was just thinking last night how I’d love to have another Goodsell flavor. This just might be the ticket.

So where does it start to break up? At the 7-8 range or a little earlier? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing!

Blue Bee

Starts to break up around 8, very smooth and warm break up.

My Goodsell Enhanced 5f2 gig report:

"Boy, that's an adult amp. Two knobs, no reverb or tremolo. All guitar. (old Maxon analog delay sounded very nice thru the amp) Class A single ended is a different beast from A/B push/pull tube amps. In the "brown sound" category,.. it will bark, big dynamic range, warm, kinda hifi (not bright, full) in a very pleasing way, smooth overdrive when cranked (i was cranked). The 2x8s have a unique voice and there's something about that 5f2 tweed size pine cabinet that's special. I thought it fit great in the mix, sounds different on a stand than on the floor. The speakers could use a couple more nights to break in, that was it's first full gig. Big fun."
How’s the amp been holding up for you? Can you repost the pics?

I’d love to hear it. I heard an old 4x8 tube combo 20 years ago and was amazing, ever since have wanted something w a 2x8 format.

stephenT

How’s the amp been holding up for you? Can you repost the pics?

I’d love to hear it. I heard an old 4x8 tube combo 20 years ago and was amazing, ever since have wanted something w a 2x8 format.

Ultimately wasn't the amp and speaker combo for me. Tho it really was a great sounding amp, the 2x8s where not versatile enough, 4x8s would have been better.

so Richard and I did a trade, he owns the 5f2 and he built me an Enhanced 5f11 w/ tremolo w/ 2x5881s and 1x12.

Trending Topics