NAD: Goodsell MkIV V6 Deluxe

stephenT

Here's the disclaimer, I know Richard, I help him w/ his web and graphics stuff and we go out for Korean tacos a few times a month. My first Goodsell was #15 and since that time,.. 7-8 years I've owned a bunch of Richards amps.

When I heard his new MkIV V6, I knew I had to have one. This is basically the Super 17 MkIV set up for 6V6 power tubes. Think tweed deluxe power section w/ Richards MkIV tone stack and reverb/tremolo. I went for a Goodsell/WGS Black and Blue alnico 12 and it seems to be a perfect mate. I'm amazed at the MKIV tone controls (and the sounds from beautiful cleans to pick your grit to flat out nasty) you can get by juggling the Gain and Volume controls.

I'm a sucker for a pretty cabinet and Richards been doing these vox style Fawn cabinets that I really like.

The weight is great, the sounds are spectacular. Smooth, lush, chimney, warm woman tone overdrive, nasty tele bridge sounds if you want,.... I'm stoked. The pics,...

Last edited:

Darth Federer

That's awesome man. I'm also a big Goodsell fan and currently own 3 of his amps, a MKIV, a Unibox and a GC-12. I'm really glad Richard has been offering up 6v6 options. Great looking amp. I'd really like to hear an A/B between an el84 version and the 6v6 version.

stephenT

That's awesome man. I'm also a big Goodsell fan and currently own 3 of his amps, a MKIV, a Unibox and a GC-12. I'm really glad Richard has been offering up 6v6 options. Great looking amp. I'd really like to hear an A/B between an el84 version and the 6v6 version.
Congratulations, the GC-12 is an amazing amp. I had a hard time choosing.

GEN DAWG

Silver Supporting Member
Another Goodsell fan and GC-12 owner. Love that axe, too, sir. May have to give you a call.

GTRJohnny

Very cool! I had asked Richard about a 6V6 option quite a while ago. This is great. I look forward to clips... :)

GTRJohnny

Giving this a bump to see if anyone has clips of the new Goodsell V6? I think the 6V6 powertube is going to be a perfect match for the S17. I might have to throw my Valpreaux on the emporium to fund one of these babies! :)

barfoden

Giving this a bump to see if anyone has clips of the new Goodsell V6? I think the 6V6 powertube is going to be a perfect match for the S17. I might have to throw my Valpreaux on the emporium to fund one of these babies! :)
I do not think the V6 is super different than valpreux. Both output tubes are beam tubes with fairly similar gain level and plate impedance. With cathode bias and 350V on the plates the 6.6k OT might be better suited for 6973 tubes than 6v6gt tubes.
I think Richard Is not so satisfied with modern 6973. He said to me that the new ehx 6973 makes less power than nos 6973 and less power than EL84.

Last edited:

Laro

Awesome looking, and sounding as well I'm sure. I have a 5watt 10" based on the 5F2A Princeton being built by Mr Goodsell as we speak. Congratulation on yours!

I do not think the V6 is super different than valpreux. Both output tubes are beam tubes with fairly similar gain level and plate impedance. With cathode bias and 350V on the plates the 6.6k OT might be better suited for 6973 tubes than 6v6gt tubes.
I think Richard Is not so satisfied with modern 6973. He said to me that the new ehx 6973 makes less power than nos 6973 and less power than EL84.
That's a valid observation - the 6973s sound remarkably like the 6v6, which is why I started using them as an alternative to the EL84, for those potential customer who just can't abide EL84s, period, on the assumption that they are always "Voxy". I really expected a more Valco-type of tone, but with the Super 17 front-end and long-tail PI, combined with a modern, vastly more efficient speaker, the sonic differences between the 6v6 and 6973 is minimal. The 6.6k OT works well with both of them, and after trying lots of alternatives, they both typically get a 250-ohm cathode resistor. The Valpreaux was well-received when it came out; and it continues to get lots of good press, but there are a lot of folks that are comfortable with 6V6s, and I didn't want to miss out on that potential customer base. In general terms, the Super 17, Valpreaux, and V6 are the same amps except for the power tubes, and while most people never get the chance it is interesting to compare the three of them side-by-side with the power tubes being the only variable.

Last edited:

rocnrik

Gold Supporting Member
Hello! i got a Goodsell amp several months ago from Richard Goodsell ..I have owned several Goodsell amps in the past and would like to share my thoughts on this latest amp. to be honest I have never been a fan of el 84 amps so when I read Goodsell was making a amp with 6v6 power tubes I got real interested ..sure enough i called Richard Goodsell and we talked for a while about amps Before I got off phone I had purchased his NEW V6 DELUXE 1X12 COMBO.it is the size of tweed deluxe (very light and compact) has his RGC 12 Speaker with full tone stack(treble,middle,bass) gain,master volume and trem and reverb!! I got it pronto and could not wait to play it..a little background of myself as a player..i have been playing 40 years in many bands from Honky tonk country to classic Rock! My main band now is a blues group. I have a custom built Tele,PRS NF3,ES 335,G&L LEGACY STRAT,Les paul..small pedal board Hoochie Mama overdrive,Zen drive,alien delay. now the good part i sat the amp between my 1666 fender deluxe reverb and its little brother 1967 Fender princeton reverb and fired it up ..I was not prepared for the tone of this amp! I figured it would be good sounding but I had no idea the amp would be this good. The more I played the more I wanted to play..the reverb is fantastic(maybe not surf style but it sounds great..the tremolo is the BEST AMP TREM I EVER HEARD PERIOD!!!) the tone stack is very simple and you can dial in any tone to compliment your guitar. the amp sits somewhere between Tweed and blackface but leans more to the tweed side of things!! what surprised me is you can go from Honky tonk licks(think dwight yoakam) to classic rock (bad company) with the gain knob up or backed off. touch sensitivity is fantastic!! I did not even need my pedals..I compared the Goodsell to the Vintage Fenders and in every case i would choose the GOODSELL ..To say I love the amp is understatement. Richard Goodsell has hit a grand slam with this amp and this is coming from a guy that has owned a lot.I MEAN A LOT OF high end amps! Do yourself a favor and try a goodsell v6 amp out ..you will be amazed!! Ricky

Trending Topics