NAD! Grestch (Valco made) 6159 (2x12/35w?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Jan 22, 2012.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Does anyone know anything about these?
    This has 2x6L6s, a 5AR4 rect, and 4 12AX7s. Two '64(?) Jensen C12PS 12inch speakers. Bass channel (hi/lo), Guitar/accordion channel, and trem.

Not mine but here are some pics of the same model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

No one? Any idea what impedance the speakers are?

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I just sold a 6159 (not the one you bought). I have a schematic here (it's of the later version with diode rectification) which labels the OT as 4 ohms; since I can't imagine the speakers being 2 ohms in series, they must be 8 ohms each in parallel.

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Mine is tube rectified. I have no idea what year it is but best I can tell the (ceramic) Jensen C12PSs are from '64. Sounds kind of soft when pushed and I wonder if the speakers have had it. I have a ton of 8 ohm 12s sitting around that I could swap in to test my hypothesis.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Just tried the old girl at practice tonight. Sounded like magic! Holy crap this thing inspired me to play!

Just about perfect volume level. A little dark with P-90s (but not running a treble boost with it). Tits with a Tele.

Happy dance
    :banana:banana:banana

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

7. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

That is a sweet looking amp. I would love to play one of those. I played a similar looking model that had 2 10 inch speakers. I regret not buying it.

8. daveg777

daveg777 Member

Try KT-66's in her and a pair of old P12N Jensen's. These upgrades made mine INSANE!

Dave

9. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

With KT-66s do I have to change anything besides the bias?

10. iinsic

iinsic Member

The local GC here has the Super Bass version of this on their floor right now for $799. A little high, but it is in decent shape and sounds amazing. Very similar to yours only without the Tremelo. Great amp!

11. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, best improvement you can make is to consider replacing the speakers. Some old Jensens sound incredibly sweet...but some just get tired out too and become very inefficient. I've got G12H30s (very efficient speakers!) in my 1688TN (very similar amp, IIRC) and that thing is just ridiculously loud. I would NOT be inclined to add in the other triode as JB suggests (maybe makes more sense in the Thunderbolt...I kinda doubt that though). I'd look at the speaker situation first. The other thing you want to sure to have checked is the paper signal caps that Valco used throughout..those things are frequently shot and leaking DC by now.

13. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

I love mine by the way this is one of those amps that the tone really changes with different make tubes. have fun!

14. soulohio

soulohio Member

again...this is a bit similar to my Airline 2x12 except for the 2 independent power sections...

15. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I tried one of those at a local store and it was sold by the time I went back to buy it. I agree--inspired me to play. I recall it having very low output for the power tubes, which the salesman attributed to an "inefficient output transformer." Dunno if he was right.

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

i agree...my dual power Airline is somewhat underpowered for having 2x6L6's... the transformers are really small

17. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a Weber AlNiCo Silver (30 watt) and a G12H-75 in there now (I used to have a Scumback Greenback which I really liked but I thought the G12H would give me more a volume bump). I also swapped the rectifier for a 5U which has helped a bit. I've not looked into the caps or done any other mods. I don't want to mess with it too much. It IS an amazing and inspiring amp. I just want a LITTLE more vol/headroom for bigger/outdoor gigs. I'm playing at a big local fireworks fest this Wednesday. I have a '59 Bassman RI or a Marshall Super Lead but this little Valco has become MY amp. It's the one I know how everything works with. I don't want to change that right before a show.

18. imguitardan

imguitardan Member