NAD! Ibanez TSA15 Combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Demioblue, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Great little combo. 3 channels. Clean, Driven, Boost! Only drawback is there's no reverb, but it sounds so good, I hardly noticed!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beauty of this amp is that it's 5w/15w switchable, making it great for jams, small gigs AND bedrooms!
    The TS circuit is built into the preamp, and 2x 12ax7 tubes, and powered by 2x 6v6 tubes. GREAT cleans, awesome crunch tones, and there's an efx loop, so you can throw in a harsher sounding distortion, and still retain the gainboost and the 6dB volume boost! 1x12 Celestion Seventy80 speaker. Some say it sounds thin, but I think it's really nice, especially when ythe amp is cranked. It doesn't break up much even on full volume, and that's where the TS circuit comes in handy!

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

This has become my go to amp and one of the local shops for checking out guitars. I wouldn't rule out getting one, but I don't have a specific need for it. Still, very decent amp that I don't think gets quite the attention it probably deserves.

3. ickywoods

ickywoods Member

That's a cool looking amp, I dig the white Tolex.

4. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

I was all decided on picking up one of these until I went to the Ibanez UK site and found they are introducing a TSA30. It's a 30 watt 6L6 1x12 combo with similar features, but more flexibility on the amp side (ie T.M.B.MV), but still no reverb! Any idea if these will be out soon or in the US?

5. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

6. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

7. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

I noticed they still haven't fixed the fuse problem. You need to reach thru the top with tiny fuse pullers like a game of Operation. Too bad. Other than that, this is a good idea that sounds FANTASTIC. A great clean, a built-in TS and a 6db boost? All into a couple of 6V6s? It's just a smart product.

They're still shipping with the wrong speaker for it, yuck, what a bad match, but it keeps the price low. My TSA head got along great with every speaker I paired with it, but not the 70/80. An H30 worked for me far better, so did a greenback, and 2 greenbacks were awesome with my TSA. After some preamp tube swaps, my TSA sounded just as good as anything else discussed on this board. The TS itself sounded a million times better with old stock pres. I left those weird black power tubes in there because I thought they sounded great.

If Ibanez made all 3 fuses accessible I would buy another TSA head in a heartbeat, the 6V6 one. I LOVED it. I discussed it on various forums and was laughed at. I was the only one who liked it, it seemed.

Great choice.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Good sounding cleans?
    Yep, need those, but LOTS of amps go there.
    Tubescreamer with a boost?
    LOTS of pedals go there.
    Can't these features be covered by many pedalboard/amp rigs?
    Great idea but redundant to many players, imo.

9. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

I don't see anything wrong with the speaker, because it does sound good. not sure why everyone who has had this amp seemed not to like the speaker? Compared to my HT5, this is less warm, and it sounds great with a strat. My PRRI is close to this, but a tad meatier, and not as crystal as the TSA on clean. For me, if I want different tones, I can have a variety of amps for it. I like the package that Ibanez built. I'm hoping this amp will put them on the map as a serious amp alternative, especially since their other amps are so so...

I'm GASsing for the TSA30! Doesn't say anything about a power soak though... Love the 5w/15w swtichability of the TSA15.

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

EVERYONE on TGP replaces speakers. Even if an amp comes with the best speaker on the planet, it gets replaced, switched or swapped around.

:p

I think the Seventy 80 is a decent budget speakers for covering low gain to mid gain. For cleans, if you like Fender type tones, there are radically better options for fairly little money. Just my experience anyway. Same thing with the Blue Marvel that comes in many Peavey amps. It's not a bad speaker per se, but if you replace it with something more in line with your particular preferences, it's usually money very well spent.

But my real advice is to ignore the haters. Enjoy your amp! The speaker isn't even broken in yet meaning it will sound better after another 50 hours of play time than it does now.

11. DRS

DRS Member

How much $$$ ???

12. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

To respond to Tone Terrific! Funny you should say that, because I've always told myself "if my whole amp/pedalboard rig went down, I could survive a gig with a good clean tube amp, a Tubescreamer and a boost!" That's exactly what these are! I would also need a tuner, but I have a cheapy in my gig bag as a backup! LOL I've seen the TSA30 online for $599.00 (I would want to experiment with speakers and tubes tho).

13. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

Can anyone comment on how the added wattage and 6L6 glass will differ from the TSA15? More clean headroom?

14. the fat one

Mine was $199 new. It was the head. I didn't get the matching cab because I had plenty of cabs and that one flat sucked. And I don't think the speaker is a good match. I loved the amp. I got laughed at a lot. Like I said, if it wasn't for those fuses it would still be mine. I even had an early model with a misprint on the front panel!!!! I loved it. But I guess I'm a hater cuz I don't like that fartbox speaker.

15. the fat one

You missed your own point even while you were making it!

16. the fat one

What doesn't get talked about enough is how surprisingly *great* sounding these are. TSA amps compete with amps 5 times the price, unlike other bang4bux like Terrors and Tweakers; the TSA blows them all away, soundwise. The only grabNgo I could find to replace it says "Bogner" on it. Nothing else approached the fun level of the TSA for me after looking high and low.

I love the green chassis, the green tank-like footswitch and it's super-long, super-green cable, and the green owner's manual.

Make the fuses accessible Ibanez!

17. Custom50

Custom50 Member

whoa, no idea these came in combos

18. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

I too recently picked up one of these. Its really a great sounding amp!!! My TV Jones Equiped Gretsch sounds awesome through it!!! I kind of wish I would have waited for the 30 Watt Combo now though.

19. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

I really like my TSA15H, which I use with two TSA cabs. But i have been thinking about some new speakers. What might some good choices be?

20. cratz2

cratz2 Member

How do you want to change the sound?