NAD - Ironhorse

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by northstar6000, Nov 23, 2015.

1. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

So I just rented the Traynor Ironhorse amp (to see if it is worth buying).

I must say I am pretty impressed with this little beast. Small light weight head, that is switchable to either 40 watts or 15 watts, with fx loop. A lot of features for a great price.

I had it going into a 2 x 12 mesa cabinet for practice on Saturday, and this things is freaking loud. I was amazed at how much headroom I had on the 15 watt setting.

I am pretty sure I am going to be buying this little beast.

2. hipfan

hipfan Member

That's my main amp! I love it. It has a nice clean tone all by itself, and then it really drinks in gain pedals nicely. It's a little loud for some smaller rooms, but I think I just need to make a cab adjustment to compensate (I need to get some M magnet speakers, instead of H). Let me know if you have any questions about it before you buy.

Oh, and it's not 40/15 watts. It's 40ish/30ish. The fixed bias setting is around 40 watts, and the cathode bias setting is around 30. That's why you had more headroom than expected. :aok

3. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

Hipfan- Thanks for reply. Are you sure on the wattage?
    I watched a traynor demo whee the guys said it's was 15 and 40 watts.

My only negative I see so far is it can be a bit noisy as the raise the volume. Do you use a noise Gate with yours.

The other thing I noticed is the amp can be a bit trebly - although I'm practice I imagined this is why it cut through so well.
    So far I am pretty stoked on the amp.

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

Just checked the Traynor website, and it does indeed say 15 watts "at minimum impedance," but 38 watts "burst power" for the cathode bias setting. Not sure what all that means, but my ears tell me that it has way more punch and headroom than a 15 watt amp would have.

Mine isn't noisy at all, even with the gain wicked way up. Before you buy, you might want to have the shop check the tubes on that one.

5. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I have no idea what 38 watts burst power means. All I know is the cathode bias setting sounds fantastic, with plenty of headroom.

As far as the tubes go, I would probably do a retube of the amp.

One thing I already did was change the lower output preamp tube to a 12ax7. Seemed to really warm up the tone, and sounded much better with my overdrive and distortion pedals.

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

That 12ax7 replacement tube might be your noise culprit. The amp has a "cascode" preamp design specifically tuned for a 12au7 in that spot. I dropped an old RCA 12au7 variant (found for pennies by my wife at a yard sale - thanks, wife!) in there, and it's a mild improvement over the stock JJ.

7. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

Hipfan - the noise I experienced with the amp was when I first demoed at the music store. And this was when I cranked the volume and lowered the gain.

I changed the 12ax7 the other day ( prior to a practice). Come to think of it,the amp certainly wasn't noisy at practice. Perhaps that 12ax7 was the source of the noise.