NAD: Joyo Bantamp Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Calebz, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Calebz

Calebz Member

I wanted an amp for home use. I have a couple different cabs at home, but carrying my 45-50 pound head back and forth from practice....sucks. I have many stairs. Many.

[​IMG]

Enter the Joyo Meteor. It was delivered to me at practice tonight, so I had an opportunity to use it in a band setting.

Holy. Crap.

I simply can't say enough good things about this silly cheap little amp. It drove a Marshall 4x12 (H30) at quite a reasonable volume. The clean channel is surprisingly nice. The OD channel... doesn't quite sound like an orange micro terror, but it's definitely in the same family. With the added bonus of a clean channel and effects loop.

I need to spend some time with it at home practice volume, but so far I'm just ridiculously impressed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    lefromagegrand and Miles Long like this.
  2. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

That pic is pretty hilarious. I’ve been curious about Joyo amps for a while. Not much buzz. Seems like they have a different model for everyone.

Calebz likes this.
  3. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

What’s the amp it’s sitting on ??

4. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Cool. I've got a Joyo AC Tone, and it sounded so good that I sprung for the Tech21 Liverpool that it's modeled after. The Joyo sounds better!!! It's just very cheaply made. I hope that these little amps are built better than the pedals are. But for the money...I'm pretty impressed with the clips I've heard.
    Man, I wish these had been around 50 years ago when I was learning to play.

HeavyCream and Calebz like this.
  5. Calebz

Calebz Member

There are 6 different flavors, I think. Add in a few different 1x12 cabs and It's like Legos for guitar tones.

I'm eyeballing the BlueJay next, if it does the Tweed thing half as well as the meteor does the orange thing, I'll be pleased

It started life as a Jet City JCA50H. Thank the guitar gods for guys like Mike soldano. He designs great amps.

HeavyCream and Miles Long like this.
  6. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Yup. The Sweet Baby looks like a sweet little Champ amp too. Tube rectified, one knob. Probably better than the Fender 600.

The Beale Street looks really cool. But is 3x $ of The Bantamps and almost no used market to speak of.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Calebz likes this.
  7. Calebz

Calebz Member

The lack of used market is a bummer, but they are popping up more often lately.

The amp that really grabbed my attention recently was the Joyo dual-klonz. I'll give it another year or so, if I don't see any news stories about them causing studio fires or something, I'll add it to the ever growing pile of interesting gear

HeavyCream likes this.
  8. Calebz

Calebz Member

Small update. Got some time to mess with this thing at bedroom levels.

It does share one thing with it's orange distant cousins. It has to be absolutely dimed to get that full testicular British dirt. I knew it was loud last night, using it at the practice room, but at full roar at home its a bit of a revelation:eek:

9. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I.m gasing for a Joyo Zombie. Found out a couple hours drive north of me.

Calebz likes this.
  10. Calebz

Calebz Member

The zombie is awesome too

I probably wouldn't drive a couple hours for one of these unless it was a super deal. They're already really cheap to order new.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I.m actually headed that way for a gig so hopefully its still for sale if not no bid deal. It.ll be a interent purchase delivered to my door.

Calebz likes this.
  12. Calebz

Calebz Member

In that case, go for it! It's a pretty cool little practice amp.

13. Calebz

Calebz Member

I just bought a zombie. Absolutely worth it.

[​IMG]

More interestingly, after poking around inside and a little bit of google-fu, I have successfully added a footswitch jack to the meteor. I was lazy and disabled the front panel switch instead of keeping it attached. I'll give it a couple weeks to make sure nothing weird happens, then I'll do the zombie as well.

[​IMG]

By the way, the clean sound on the zombie is surprisingly clean and warm.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    55goldtop likes this.
  14. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I've got the JaCkMan, and it's cool. But the Blutooth died on it and it would cost more to ship it back than the whole thing is worth!
    It is a fun little practice amp, sounds great through a 1x10 Celestion Gold.

15. Calebz

Calebz Member

Longevity is probably my biggest concern. I've actually used the Meteor for a couple gigs and it's proven itself to be pretty capable. As long as it doesn't burst into flame on stage, I'll be happy.

16. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Oh Man I need a Joyo Zombie Like Calebz so I can stick it on my JCA22H.
    [​IMG]

Calebz likes this.
  17. Calebz

Calebz Member

Hell yes you do. And for what they do and what they cost, they're kinda like adult breakfast cereal prizes. You have to collect all 6!

C-4 likes this.
  18. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

STOP FLARING MY GAS!!! ;)

Adult breakfast cereal prizes......now you did it lol!!!

Calebz likes this.
  19. Calebz

Calebz Member

Thought I might update this thread. It's been about 6 months.

Both Joyos are still up and running.

The meteor has pretty much become my main amp. At about 2.5 pounds, it's just easier. I've played a few gigs using both, in stereo. Worked well and was lots of fun.

I've got 8-9 gigs with the meteor now. It's been rock rock solid. Running a Cerberus using the 4cm and a little bit of OD in front of it.

Also, I thought the name was kinda dumb, so I changed it to reflect its sound a little better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lefromagegrand, Nick Fotis and T Dizz like this.
  20. Nick Fotis

Nick Fotis Member

Nice.
    I own a Bluejay, and it's surprisingly loud driving a Harley Benton 2*12 Vintage cab (these Celestion V30 are real sensitive)

N.F.

Calebz likes this.