• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD -- Krinard Trainwreck Rocket Clone

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Awesome looking amp! How's it sound? ;)

Edited to add:
Is that the one that was on the dreamamps.com website?

Last edited:

otolathe

Yeah, it's still up on the Dreamamps.com website. Sounds great but I think I got a microphonic preamp tube after about 2 hours of playing so that will delay any sound clips.

I was checking out the gut shot at dreamamps. Love the carbon comp resistors! Now I will be up all night wondering if the original rocket had that 200k plate 3.3k cathode operating point on the first triode....

otolathe

Gotta tell ya ... as good as the Fryette PS2 works on other amps, it definitely makes this amp less lively!

Cgkindler

Subb'd for a demo!

Congrats man! I'd say that's an amp to hand down to the next generation and then again and again type of thing (assuming they are guitar gear nerds like us :p )

thosk

Gold Supporting Member
Even if you tweak the switches?
Yeah, I just recently read in another PS2 thread that setting the switches flat pretty much defeats the reactive load.
Quote from @support:
Switches set to FLAT completely eliminate the reactive behavior of the load as it relates to the amp under load.
What remains is the subtle reactive behavior between the PS power amp stage and the speaker, which can be accentuated using the Presence and Depth controls, and in some applications can produce just the right amount of feel. By "some applications", I mean where you want to eliminate the really obvious load reactance and instead apply a very subtle sweetening. That will vary depending on amplifier type, playing volume, amplifier power output, etc. We find for example that players with medium powered BF Fender amps tend to like the switches set flat. This might be because Fenders are already pretty scooped and crisp on top. Setting the load to Flat smooths the amp out a bit.

Stevo57

OP I have an Airbrake, a PS1 and a Zwreck. The Zwreck sounds and reacts better with the Airbrake than it does with the PS1. I don't know why and it could just be what my ears like better but there you go. Love to plug into one of Bills wreckish creations. I had a TR Ruby about ten years ago and it was a phenomenal amp I would buy back in a heartbeat.

otolathe

Yeah, I just recently read in another PS2 thread that setting the switches flat pretty much defeats the reactive load.
Quote from @support:
This calls for MOAR TWEAKING. It shipped with all TADs so I have some on order, but a previous owner of this amp contacted me and suggested Amperex power tubes and a boxed anode Mullard CV4004 in V1.

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com

Congrat's homie! I played that one myself as well once, and that IS an amazing amplifier! Can't wait until we get clips - I am also confident that amp has the infamous transformer from the Fisher / Two Rock drama that came up right before Ken died. (Two Rock ordered a set of Trainwreck spec'd transformers from Panama, and some guy at Panama sent Two Rock LITERALY Fisher's personal transformers he had waiting for him at the factory. Fisher was livid, and talked a significant amount of smack about them from then until he died.)

Wyzard

Neither Here Nor There
Gold Supporting Member
Two Rock ordered a set of Trainwreck spec'd transformers from Panama, and some guy at Panama sent Two Rock LITERALY Fisher's personal transformers he had waiting for him at the factory
You mean Pacific, not Panama. I've got them in my LTD.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom