NAD: Landry LS100-G3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bbaug14, Apr 17, 2016.

1. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Still in the 'honeymoon' phase, but this amp is nearly perfect. The absolute best modded 'M' amp I've owned for my purposes.

Mine has the dirty clean, which is very much like a Superbass Plexi. It doesn't have as much gain as a Superlead, but the voice is very much like a '68 spec Plexi. Just a touch less gain. Works great for the AC/DC thing. Also, can be dialed in to do a beautiful clean if that's how you want to use it.

The gain channel is like a great 800 but with more gain on tap. Not super bright like 800s can be, and more tight bottom end. It's exactly how I would build a 800 circuit. Also, it is very open and articulate. Not overly compressed at all, which was one of my concerns in talking with Bill.

The boost function on my amp has its own volume control and I use it as a high gain channel. It's perfect for this and gets me into Tool, Soundgarden, Rage, etc. heavy riffing. Still cleans up well with guitar volume and still very articulate.

The hard/soft switch works great for changing the picking response. Takes it from tight to more of a spongy Plexi response.

I've owned or played pretty much all the major modded 'M' amps, and I can honestly say this is the perfect combination of features and tones for my playing and my ears. Anyone interested in these tones is doing themselves a diservice if they aren't checking out a Landry.

Also, Bill is just awesome to work with. He responds to inquiries promptly and professionally, he takes the time to really give you the details you need, and he won't sell you something he thinks won't work for you. I had a ton of questions as I was buying without trying first and Bill was very patient. He even did clips for me with certain settings to show the tones I was interested in.

BTW - here's Bill playing my amp.

Vai81, Millo 3.1 and teveinsene like this.
  2. cbwarnes

cbwarnes Member

I'm still trying to decide between the pure clean and the dirty clean. Did you ever have a chance to try the pure clean by chance?

3. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Can you get BOTH the clean-clean and dirty-clean without compromising sound quality?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  4. bbaug14

No. The pure clean is in the Fender camp from what I understand, and that didn't particularly interest me. I get cleans by rolling back volume, so I wanted the Plexi tones.

5. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Congrats . Id like to own one of these also!

6. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

I've had my Landry for about six months and am still absolutely LOVING IT! Mine started its life as a non G3 version and, upon receipt, I immediately sent it to Bill for all of the latest G3 upgrades. Over the past year I have had MANY amps in the modded Marshall "camp" (including an xtc, Shiva, PT100, PT100SE, Smallbox, Badcat Lynx, Carol Ann Triptik, among others) and the Landry is the only of these still in the stable. I rehearsed with it today and was, once again, reminded what an awesome tone machine it is. Very full harmonic overtones, snarly without being shrill, very open, yet quite a bit darker than the Marshall 6101 Combo I have (another GREAT, very underrated amp). I use a Bogner 2x12 closed-back stack cabinet with Celestion Creamback H75s and it just drips sonic goodness!

Bill is the best as well! He provided me with numerous updates regarding the progress, answered ALL of my questions with patience and authority, and is a HELLUVA guitarist. I'm waiting for him to design a combo; this will be my next purchase. I can tell you that you are probably not gonna get tired of this amp anytime soon. It has an incredible catalogue of Marshall-type tones, is VERY easy to dial-in and can cover a tremendous amount of sonic territory. I'm completely sold on his products and have not GASsed for another head since (I did buy the 6101 after as a backup and to have a combo).

Congratulations on your purchase; I'm sure you will be very pleased and satisfied for years to come!

7. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Congrats…one of the amps that tops my bucket list.
    The dirty clean seems real appealing. Sure seems like a lot amp for the $!

8. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Amp sounds awesome bb ....... I just pissed myself watching that Demo! :eek:

9. bbaug14

Ha ha. Bill makes it sound a lot better than I do, that's for sure.

I'm having a ton of fun with this amp. It's just a joy to play through, and it hasn't even been completely burned in yet. Between this and my Metro-Plex, I really don't want for any other tones. Covers everything I like and then some.

10. Snobtone

Snobtone Member

Can you share your experiences between the Landry and the Metroplex? I'm choosing between the two and also have a PT100SE and Smallbox.

11. bbaug14

I had a BE100 with the low gain switch to make it the Smallbox, so I have experience there. I'm intrigued by the PT100SE, but now having the Landry pretty much squashed that GAS. More curious to play one than anything.

The Metro-Plex is straight up Plexi, but with more gain. It is very vintage in feel and tone. It doesn't act like a traditional Plexi in terms of set up though. Dialing the gain down to 3 on the '66 mode isn't going to be a clean tone like a real '66 with the volume at 3 for instance (with humbuckers). Basically, the MP is like a dimed Plexi with the gain at about noon, so it does the Plexi thing exceptionally for those driven tones. I get a lot of satisfaction playing that amp.

The Landry dirty clean is more like a traditional Plexi. It starts clean and has to be high on the gain to give up the dirt. That being said, the master on the amp is awesome, so getting those driven Plexi tones can be done at reasonable volumes. The Landry dirty clean isn't going to sound the same as the MP and won't have nearly as much gain, but it's a good sounding Plexi type tone just the same. Works perfect for the AC/DC and Zep stuff I wanted it to do.

The Landry dirty channel is more 800 than Plexi. It does what the Metro-Plex can't. Even on the MOD mode the MP still sounds and reacts like a vintage Plexi. The Landry is tighter, more snarl, and more articulate. Basically a great 800 sound with more gain, tighter bigger bottom, and more articulate string to string definition.

The Friedman had about the same gain as the Landry, but it's way darker, more compressed, and more saturated. Also, I didn't care for the feel on the Friedman. The Landry is more open and articulate. So, it all depends on what you want in your tones. I prefer the Landry as it sounds more true to form Marshall to my ears, but better and more gain on tap. Still has the Kerrrannng.

I suspect the Landry and the Suhr would be a pretty good comparison. Similar features and similar tones. Nor sure how they differ since I haven't played the Suhr.

jguitarslim likes this.
  12. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

With the Landry dirty clean..considering it can be dialed in to get AC/DC type crunch w gain running higher. With that setting can you then get a nice plexi clean by rolling back guit volume?

13. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Kingsxman brought over his updated G3..... but I couldnt get him off it so I could rip her!

Sounded great and Bill's stuff is going take off.

I love that open Landry kerrang!

14. bbaug14

Absolutely.

teveinsene likes this.
  15. mude

mude Supporting Member

Yup, Landry is really impressive. One of the best channel switchers I have played.

Evan.

16. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

Of all the amps I went through this past year, the PT100SE and the Landry were voiced most similarly. Both are GREAT amps, capable of getting virtually any modded Marshall tone that I could hear in my mind's ear and they both have incredible clean channels. That said, there were a few deciding factors for me regarding my keeping the Landry over the Suhr.

One factor was simply the size and weight of the Suhr as compared to the Landry. Maybe it's just me in my twilight years, but the PT100SE was just a bit more difficult to physically handle. It is bigger, and the weight distribution is as not well balanced as the Landry. The cabinet is wider and, overall, it does weigh a few more pounds (of course, this may not be a big deal to one who is not 64 ;)).

Aother issue for me was the amount of investment. The Suhr is significantly more costly than the Landry. For me, this is an issue, because I have limited funds available to buy gear. I never have more than two guitars and two amps at a time and if I'm not using a piece of gear, it usually goes on the block. I was able to sell my Suhr, buy the Landry, and had enough left over to invest in a combo that I'd been GASsing for (a Marshall 6101).

The final factor was Bill Landry himself. He is so incredibly forthcoming, honest, candid, patient and giving of his time. He loves to talk shop and listens to, and appreciates input from his customers. He quickly made me feel like I'd known him for years; like he was an old friend. At one point while he was working on my amp, he said he tried a certain type of cap, didn't like the sound, and completely recapped the amp using superior components. His ultimate goal is to produce the best sounding amp possible and, in my case, has done so. This last weekend, I rehearsed with it (hadn't played it for several weeks) and was once again reminded how it just oozes, drips tone (if you get too close, you might get some on ya :)). For the last six months, I have had no GAS attacks for either guitars (my Carvin two CT624s cured this) or amps. Just an incredible sounding amp

Ultimately, one cannot go wrong with either amp; both builders are at the top of their respective games and make two of the best channel amps available. It becomes a situation where the choices are of such high quality, it's simply a matter of personal preference; with either choice you get high-quality gear designed to last a lifetime.

17. spence

spence Member

Congrats on the new amp bbaug14! Everything Garry said about Bill is correct. I'll have a M100L in the house in the near future.

18. Snobtone

Snobtone Member

Thanks for the inputs. Anyone compared a Metroplex with a PT100? Appears that there might be a bit of overlap between the two.

19. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I'd be curious to get more info on what you mean by this. Do you mean mainly "gain" or "bottom end"? I have not played a JCM 800 to compare directly to a Plexi but I have a 76 JMP and a Landry. (So I "kind of" have both!). The JMP seems to still have a larger tonal footprint than the Landry. Landry is more focused. I'm curious if thats how you'd define the differences.

20. bbaug14

The Landry voice and frequency content are more 800 than Plexi to my ear on the gain channel. Plexi's have a bigger sound with a less aggressive texture to the gain and the response is softer. 800s are more focused, tighter, and more aggressive. The Landry falls in the ladder camp. Just one man's opinion of course.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    lifeson1 likes this.